• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This was a braced pistol but decided to go full stock / 16" barrel PCC rifle. Foxtrot Mike upper and lower.

Attachments

• rifle-9mm-fm-ar9.jpg
      rifle-9mm-fm-ar9.jpg
      69.2 KB · Views: 413

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Let the fun and games begin with this in a week.

They are sweet as hell, really soft shooting.

Have built a few AR9s, and fired a couple more RDB builds to compare them to. Best IMO is the Taccom short stroke/superfeed setup with a heavy buffer. Dead reliable, even with HP bullets, and feels dramatically different from normal AR9 builds. It cycles stupid fast(only a 2" stroke), the elastomer spacer and 10oz KVP buffer soften recoil, and the bolt doesn't move very far, so less slap or dot movement than even the RDB, and dramatically less than normal stroke blowback AR9s. It's tough on triggers, being it resets in all of 1.5" of bolt travel(usually 2.5"), I found the CMMG setup to be smooth, but sluggish in comparison. The MPX is a big step up, has the fast cycling feel like the short stroke builds, but a softer smoother recoil than the RDB.

Gratuitous pics, short stroke 5.25" SBR with 9" rail to tuck my suppressor or 3 lug flash tube. FM 16" side charger, my main competition PCC, and 7" 3 lug QC10 PDW-ish pistol
    20210712_224105.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Have built a few AR9s, and fired a couple more RDB builds to compare them to. Best IMO is the Taccom short stroke/superfeed setup with a heavy buffer. Dead reliable, even with HP bullets, and feels dramatically different from normal AR9 builds. It cycles stupid fast(only a 2" stroke), the elastomer spacer and 10oz KVP buffer soften recoil, and the bolt doesn't move very far, so less slap or dot movement than even the RDB, and dramatically less than normal stroke blowback AR9s. It's tough on triggers, being it resets in all of 1.5" of bolt travel(usually 2.5"), I found the CMMG setup to be smooth, but sluggish in comparison. The MPX is a big step up, has the fast cycling feel like the short stroke builds, but a softer smoother recoil than the RDB.

Gratuitous pics, short stroke 5.25" SBR with 9" rail to tuck my suppressor or 3 lug flash tube. FM 16" side charger, my main competition PCC, and 7" 3 lug QC10 PDW-ish pistol

View attachment 318634
    I believe the trigger it has is a Timney? How do they compare to others?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

View attachment 318634

Now, if we could only do something with that 'lick and stick' tile floor...:lol2:

:D

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

View attachment 318634
    Any problems with short stroking with the Taccom? Early reviews mentioned this.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I believe the trigger it has is a Timney? How do they compare to others?

Should be 4.5# flat single stage timney, not a bad trigger, fine for most, but they take some oil and a few rounds before they reset well. All the standard Timneys have to kinda break in till the reset improves. The MPX has a pretty short stroke and is rough in triggers too, has to have a longer reset/ overtravel than the best AR triggers to avoid hammer follow or bump firing inadvertently. I Love the hiperfire PDI for PCCs, similar longer reset due to the greater engagement, but really crisp 2# break, full weight hammer strike, bumper pad to cushion the hammer, and drops in.

Now, if we could only do something with that 'lick and stick' tile floor...:lol2:

:D

LoL, it's in the basement shop, pretty.much just keeps oil and dirt off the concrete, till I strip it and put epoxy down.

Any problems with short stroking with the Taccom? Early reviews mentioned this.

Hammer follow from a few triggers, the Geisele GRF, a Timney CE, 3# and impact. Wears a Hiperfire PDI that runs flawlessly. It can jam up with aftermarket mags, the surface under the firing pin head is longer to reset the hammer faster, can rub on some mags, 100% with factory 33rd. Takes a really heavy buffer to run well, needs to slow it down in less space than a full 3" stroke with "extended 9mm" buffer(RDB and rifle.cal are 4" stroke). Wouldn't run well under 8oz, and didn't really smooth out till I used my goto 10oz KVP(4 floating tungsten weights) and a DPMS 308 carbine spring. The only reason it shoots as flat as it does is the roughly 25oz only moves 2" and doesn't build up much momentum, an RDB's 16-ish oz weight has to move 4".

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Finally got around to picking up a scorpion pistol in fde. 7 and 3/4 inch barreled model.

Time to sell my scorpion carbine to pay for it :)

Fortunately, I’ll have most of the mods I want to do to it right off the bat this time.

Might swap a holosun 403b red dot for the 510C this time around.

Anyone run one of those ?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Finally got around to picking up a scorpion pistol in fde. 7 and 3/4 inch barreled model.

Fortunately, I’ll have most of the mods I want to do to it right off the bat this time.

The 510C is fantastic. I've been slowly purging my collection of Chinese optics, but damned if that one isn't really hard to get rid of.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    The 510C is fantastic. I've been slowly purging my collection of Chinese optics, but damned if that one isn't really hard to get rid of.

Yeah I started off in reverse with that. Trijicon mro, leupold scope, etc…

Then I got a sig Romeo 5, for 120 dollars and had a reaaaaaallll hard time looking at my 360 dollar mro that didn’t even come with a Mount.

I don’t care for made in China at all myself, but for 3 times the cost, I can’t tell a damn bit of difference other than the larger objective lens on the mro.

Some, you really can’t beat what you get for the cost vs some of the name brand American optics or certain “point” optics.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas

I like the long battery life but one of these days, Holosun will make a version that charges the battery with the solar panel. I do mean battery charged. I am not totally convinced on the solar powered sights with capacitors, I think Sig makes one, I had trouble with a watch with a solar charged capacitor that caused me a lot of trouble. That being said, the Holosuns are really nice.

I did a quick search on YT but did not see it right off. Several years back, a guy took a HS510c and shot the side of it with a shotgun. Granted it wasn't straight into the glass, but still! It took the shotgun hit and kept right on working. The protective hood is made of titanium. That made a big fan of Holosun for me that day!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I like the long battery life but one of these days, Holosun will make a version that charges the battery with the solar panel. I do mean battery charged. I am not totally convinced on the solar powered sights with capacitors, I think Sig makes one, I had trouble with a watch with a solar charged capacitor that caused me a lot of trouble. That being said, the Holosuns are really nice.

I did a quick search on YT but did not see it right off. Several years back, a guy took a HS510c and shot the side of it with a shotgun. Granted it wasn't straight into the glass, but still! It took the shotgun hit and kept right on working. The protective hood is made of titanium. That made a big fan of Holosun for me that day!

The 510 is awesome, basically an EoTech reticle and field of view with a QD mount, smaller footprint and years of battery life. It's LED reflex not a HWS, and not really hard use/ battle proven, but for a range weapon it's great. They make the Romeo 5 for SIG, probably the best deal in red dots now, kinda wish they would make a SIG version of the 510 too. With shake awake and low powered LEDs lasting 5 years on a CR2032, and 5 min to change it, no real reason to open the can of worms a solar pannel / capacitor setup has.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've broken a 510C before. Then again, I've broken an optic from almost everyone before (except Aimpoint), so that's hardly a big deal. I feel comfortable enough with the 510C to recommend it for competition, certainly - but then again, I bring back-up guns whenever I compete. :)

Sig does make a version of the 512, assembled in the USA, but it's somewhat expensive. FWIW, I do think the refurb Vortex UH1 gen2s are very difficult to beat in terms of price-performance if you don't care about weight.

Saberwalk

MDS Supporter
    Aug 13, 2020
    MD
    How I complied with the 29" OAL

Just wanted to share some pics of my APC9 Pro. I did not really care for the pistol and other brace options and so SBRed the APC9. It is MD compliant at slightly longer than 29.5" while still remaining pretty compact (My comfortable Length of Pull is at the next notch beyond full compression): IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

Fully compressed, it is 26.25" and only about 16.5" when the stock is folded. Still waiting on my can but when running compressed plan on switching out the side folder (https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/Side-Folder-With-MI-Stock-Tube-p/mi-stap-sf-bt.htm) for the non-folding adapter, which shortens the length to slightly over 29" (https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/Stock-Tube-With-Buffer-Tube-Adaptor-p/mi-stap-bt.htm)

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Just wanted to share some pics of my APC9 Pro. I did not really care for the pistol and other brace options and so SBRed the APC9. It is MD compliant at slightly longer than 29.5" while still remaining pretty compact (My comfortable Length of Pull is at the next notch beyond full compression): View attachment 324758

View attachment 324759

View attachment 324760

Fully compressed, it is 26.25" and only about 16.5" when the stock is folded. Still waiting on my can but when running compressed plan on switching out the side folder (https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/Side-Folder-With-MI-Stock-Tube-p/mi-stap-sf-bt.htm) for the non-folding adapter, which shortens the length to slightly over 29" (https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/Stock-Tube-With-Buffer-Tube-Adaptor-p/mi-stap-bt.htm)

I wish I could reasonably get a scorpion or stribog to 29.5 to sbr it.

Might be able to get my Springfield saint pistol to sbr length.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    The 510 is awesome, basically an EoTech reticle and field of view with a QD mount, smaller footprint and years of battery life. It's LED reflex not a HWS, and not really hard use/ battle proven, but for a range weapon it's great. They make the Romeo 5 for SIG, probably the best deal in red dots now, kinda wish they would make a SIG version of the 510 too. With shake awake and low powered LEDs lasting 5 years on a CR2032, and 5 min to change it, no real reason to open the can of worms a solar pannel / capacitor setup has.

What are you running your 510’s on ? Any on scorpion or stribog ? Or something close to

Saberwalk

MDS Supporter
    Aug 13, 2020
    MD
    Not sure about the striborg, but I SBRed my Scorpion and am at more than 29". Key is to find a long enough buffer tube. Will post some pictures and info on how I did it later in the week. Probably will switch to a Pic Rail and folder/non-folder option like the B&T.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    What are you running your 510’s on ? Any on scorpion or stribog ? Or something close to

16" AR9 I used for PCC competition, ended up selling it for more than I paid to get an EoTechXPS2 for another build, then went to a slimmer/lighter C-More for that rifle. No fault of the optic, and I would definitely buy another, but when they first came out, they were only $200ish, and well worth that, now that the secret is out they are near $300, and a bit overpriced IMO. Problem is, there isn't a whole lot between the $100-$150 Romeo5 and C-more, and the $500ish EoTechs, Aimpoints and MROs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom