• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    When you know the inside of your deer stand is, finally, “big enough!” :party29:

In seriousness, I’ve killed a couple deer out my garage window. So there is that.

Yes I’d do windows. I’d also build it so it was properly but and vapor sealed. That way when not in use you don’t get nests or stuff taking up residence. I can’t fault you. I’ve only got 4 1/2 acres and not real keen on a super permanent stand. I tried climbing sticks and a hang on. I actually need to take it down soon. I used it once last season and “noped” the hell out of it. It’s about 24’ up the tree and with no rail and a small platform, major vertigo. Heights normally don’t bother me. So back to a climber for now. I’ll probably invest in a nice hang on (with a rail!) at some point when I have a couple more years on my property. I have to contend with neighbors and what not on where best to hunt it. They are all okay with it. But there is a difference between being okay with it and having it shoved in their face by having a deer stand clearly visible 100yds from their kitchen window. So buying a nicer climber.

That said, I have plans to buy 20+ acres here some year soon. I’ve got no qualms about putting up a permanent stand or two. I grew out of “I am a tough SOB and no pansying about for me!” Years ago. I might only be late 30s, but I’ve got a bad back. I can still rough it, but it sucks more every year. I’d like to be able to hunt until I am too old to be living independently (which is hopefully both at an extremely old age and also coincides with when I die). And I’d like to spend more timing hunting when I am retired some day. Right now I am mostly limited by spare time. Being able to hunt right where I live helps with that a ton. Eventually though it’ll be limited by my comfort. “Oh, it’s darned cold out. Maybe I’ll just sleep in rather than climb in to a cold stand and freeze my butt off all day.” Or “it’s raining out. Maybe I can just watch some TV”

So even if it isn’t where I always hunt, I’d like one boujee stand or blind on my property which I can easily access and I can comfortably hunt from all day long.

So…some thin foam board insulation. Seal it up well. Install windows. I’d make no-traditional screens. Something you can tie, zip or magnetically seal in place. That way you can have the windows open and keep bugs out till it’s “time”.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I always carry a single person Eno hammock in my pack. There is no sleep to be had at my camp. Buncha snoring SOBs! If I stay out the whole day its nice to take a midday nap in a sunny spot.

I once had a deer walk right up on me....like 5 feet away. It blew and I flipped out of the damn hammock and landed on my face. All I saw was the tail running over the ridge.

Glad it wasn't a black bear!

I just snuggle up leaning against a tree. No deer have surprised me yet.

On sleeping in stands, I’ve nodded off. Never more than a few minute cat nap. But if I feel it coming on, I just shorten my safety rope so if I fall over and sleep walk or something I can’t fall. Harness and rope will catch me once I go much past leaning over some. And only railed stands for me!

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    The start of the new blind.

FF0BE943-78DA-4E72-9055-EBEE47D222F1.jpg

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I fell 20' from a homemade treestand a couple miles off the road on a mountain top in western Md, as the top 'ladder' rung separated from the tree. I landed on my back, rung still clutched tightly in my hand. I came to rest in a pocket of leaves and snow, cushioning my landing. There was a 6'' stump just beside me, only inches from the small of my back.

Somebody was sure looking out for me that day...

100%

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I was using a climbing stand and thought ok ill just go up anout 6' and then hook up to tree. About 5' to 6' above where i started, the bottom part of tge stand didnt dig in right and i went straight down. Stopped where i started... Happened so quick i didnt even react. So now if i use one i put tether on the tree harness from top to bottom.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Placed it on a set of scaffold just to check weight. I can’t make it to heavy for the skid steer. Now time to finish windows, paint, and shingle.

A77B6CF0-7CCD-4B55-A988-E80A176D573A.jpg

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Looks good!
    It'll be a nice hide out when its raining+cold, for a new hunter and when you want to take a break and tag some ZZZ's !

It is nice being cozy during snowy and rainy days. Doesn’t seem like much moves when it’s raining, but now and then you can get lucky.

I wound up going 4x8, it was just easier to build, and fit to the scaffold. Hoping to get a few hunts in with my nephew.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    We just built another out of some old barn tin and scrap lumber.
    No windows at this time but it wouldn't be hard to rig up something makeshift from the inside.
    Were going to pull it around on a trailer and leave it at a good spot.
    Ill see if I can get the picture to load up it wouldn't for some reason earlier.

Anyway ,If you can ever get around someone cutting a school bus up for watermelon picking/transport. Those slider windows are good to grab for making box blind windows.
    Probably not the best thing that's out there but they're usually free, airtight and easy to place-use.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    We just built another out of some old barn tin and scrap lumber.
    No windows at this time but it wouldn't be hard to rig up something makeshift from the inside.
    Were going to pull it around on a trailer and leave it at a good spot.
    Ill see if I can get the picture to load up it wouldn't for some reason earlier.

Anyway ,If you can ever get around someone cutting a school bus up for watermelon picking/transport. Those slider windows are good to grab for making box blind windows.
    Probably not the best thing that's out there but they're usually free, airtight and easy to place-use.

School bus windows- that’s a good idea. I am making sliding windows out of 1/4” plexiglass. They will slide up to a magnet catch. I will post pictures when they are done.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    School bus windows- that’s a good idea. I am making sliding windows out of 1/4” plexiglass. They will slide up to a magnet catch. I will post pictures when they are done.

They work OK (bus windows) but you have to keep the tracks clear/clean and all that so they work smoothly.
    One spot has old storm windows in it. I hazed part of them over black with some spray paint at the tops and bottoms.
    Because their old they're noisy as hell and whistle when that old north west comes through but the stand is in the middle of a field and you can usually see them well before you decide to shoot or not. They aren't very smooth but are better than soaking all that rain or wind up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom