• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SnakeDoc

Jun 21, 2014
    I'm interested in signing up a family member for the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission Card and have a few questions on Maryland Firearms Purchase.

My family member is disabled and would need to have a "Caregiver" assigned as someone to manage their MMCC Purchases.

Here is a link on the caregiver role:

https://mmcc.maryland.gov/Pages/caregivers.aspx

I know there is a question on the 77r asking if you have an MMCC Card. But what if you are a "Caregiver"? Would this negate the purchase? Could a "Caregiver" still use their 2A rights in Maryland?

Hopefully there is a Maryland Shooter Member that can comment on this scenario.

Regards,
    SD

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have one gun owning caregiver who picks up cannabis for his wife. No problems. YMMV.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I applaud the reasoning above, but making a false statement on a federal from is still a crime that could still get you prohibited for life. l am remembering that the question reads "do you have a medical marajuana card" if your name is on the card the answer is yes.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'm interested in signing up a family member for the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission Card and have a few questions on Maryland Firearms Purchase.

My family member is disabled and would need to have a "Caregiver" assigned as someone to manage their MMCC Purchases.

Here is a link on the caregiver role:

https://mmcc.maryland.gov/Pages/caregivers.aspx

I know there is a question on the 77r asking if you have an MMCC Card. But what if you are a "Caregiver"? Would this negate the purchase? Could a "Caregiver" still use their 2A rights in Maryland?

Hopefully there is a Maryland Shooter Member that can comment on this scenario.

Regards,
    SD

You will have no problem. My wife had a patient card for a while, and I was her caregiver. The caregiver is not a user, and is not prohibited.

Full disclosure: I did not buy any guns during the period I was a Caregiver, but I recall there is language specifying that the Caregiver is not prohibited.

I haven't filled out a 77r in a while, so I'm not familiar with the language on the current version, but a Caregiver is not a user.

I applaud the reasoning above, but making a false statement on a federal from is still a crime that could still get you prohibited for life. l am remembering that the question reads "do you have a medical marajuana card" if your name is on the card the answer is yes.

Wrong. A caregiver is not a patient. A caregiver is not a user. A caregiver is not prohibited.

The federal form asks if you the buyer are a user. The caregiver is not a user.

The caregiver does not have a medical marajuana card: they have a different caregiver card. No need to lie on any federal or state form, and no prohibition.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You will have no problem. My wife had a patient card for a while, and I was her caregiver. The caregiver is not a user, and is not prohibited.

Full disclosure: I did not buy any guns during the period I was a Caregiver, but I recall there is language specifying that the Caregiver is not prohibited.

I haven't filled out a 77r in a while, so I'm not familiar with the language on the current version, but a Caregiver is not a user.

Wrong. A caregiver is not a patient. A caregiver is not a user. A caregiver is not prohibited.

The federal form asks if you the buyer are a user. The caregiver is not a user.

The caregiver does not have a medical marajuana card: they have a different caregiver card. No need to lie on any federal or state form, and no prohibition.
    This.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    The last time I purchased a firearm I was asked if i had a medical MJ card. Apparently i either misremembered, or the forms have changed. I checked the actual forms. See links below.

https://www.marylandattorneygeneral.gov/forms/Form_77R_gun_questions.pdf

This is the Maryland state form. Question 15 treats mj similar to the way it treats alcohol. MJ card is not mentioned

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4...n-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

This is the federal form. Question 21E states " Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
    Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized
    for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside."

by definition a caretaker purchases MJ for someone else.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    But while the caregiver purchases marijuana for someone else, he does not use it. The federal form asks only about use. There is no need to lie or dissemble. The caregiver is not prohibited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom