• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    I'm sure this question has been asked but I can't find it. I'm used to transporting in a car where my firearms are in the trunk and my range bag with ammo and everything else is in the passenger compartment keeping the two clearly separated. When driving a truck what is the legal and safest way to abide by Maryland Law. I'm not comfortable with my range bag in an open bed and I'm definitely not comfortable with the firearms being in the open bed. Is this a case where it's best for me to say have the range bag in the front passenger seat floor and the gun cases in the rear seat so they are as far apart as possible? As always I want to be lawful but at the same time I'm not going to risk someone reaching into the bed at a stoplight and having off with either of my bags filled with valuable items. Thank you in advance for your advice and guidance on how you guys deal with this dilemma.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm sure this question has been asked but I can't find it. I'm used to transporting in a car where my firearms are in the trunk and my range bag with ammo and everything else is in the passenger compartment keeping the two clearly separated. When driving a truck what is the legal and safest way to abide by Maryland Law. I'm not comfortable with my range bag in an open bed and I'm definitely not comfortable with the firearms being in the open bed. Is this a case where it's best for me to say have the range bag in the front passenger seat floor and the gun cases in the rear seat so they are as far apart as possible? As always I want to be lawful but at the same time I'm not going to risk someone reaching into the bed at a stoplight and having off with either of my bags filled with valuable items. Thank you in advance for your advice and guidance on how you guys deal with this dilemma.

There is NO state law that requires ammo and firearms to be transported seperately.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018

Great question. I have a cap on my truck, but same issue in that I don't want them sliding all over the place if placed on the bed.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Great question. I have a cap on my truck, but same issue in that I don't want them sliding all over the place if placed on the bed.

See my answer above, there is NO requirement in Maryland law that ammo be separate from the firearm. If you feel you must, the separate containers is fine, neither one needs to be locked either.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Imagine not having a tonno cover for the bed of your truck, and straps to keep things secure.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is Maryland Law , and Federal Law under FOPA .

Federal law is stricter about * How* firearms are transported.

Maryland law is stricter about * When / to what destination * that Handguns are transported .

Maryland is actually fairly permissive about Methods of transporting , so long as you are to/ from exempted location with handguns .

This is not to say that on some/ many occasions it wouldn't be Wise and Prudent to be more discrete than required by State Law . This issue comes up here periodically , and will go on for many pages , of very heated debate , often with name calling back and forth .

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    What about transporting a firearm in the vehicle's passenger compartment, in a latched hard container or zipped bag because, e.g. it's an SUV or truck that doesn't have a trunk?

Does it have to be in the back seat, or "out of reach"? What if it's a two-seat sports car or a Smart Car, without a trunk? Motorcycle? What's the rule?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Are you ( Jim12) discussing Intrastate within Maryland , or Interstate invoking FOPA ? The answers are very different .

csxt602

Oct 29, 2020
    Essex, MD
    When I took my HQL class, the retired LEO teaching the class said:

SUV - Firearms in a locked case/bag, in the rear cargo area.
    Pickup w/ crew cab - Firearms in a locked case/bag, in the back seat, on the passenger side (seat or floor).
    Pickup w/ only front seats - Firearms in a locked case/bag, on the passenger side floor.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My usual observations on this topic :

This is not One Discussion , but Five Discussions

What Actual Federal Law says
    What Actual State Law say
    What Gov't/ LE Agencies recommend in print/ website , etc
    What Random Individual LEO say
    What would be Reasonable & Prudent practices by reasonably knowledgeable gun owners .

Addendum - What Random HQL Instructor says often overlaps with What Random LEO Say , call that discussion # 4.5

What csxt quotes above falls simultaneously into #4 and #4.5 .

BF44 interpretation of csxt's Instructor -

Not close to State Law
    Somewhat mangled take on Federal Law , but probably Would be compliant with FOPA .

Prudent ? Overkill in some situations , but not DIS prudent .

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    When I took my HQL class, the retired LEO teaching the class said:

SUV - Firearms in a locked case/bag, in the rear cargo area.
    Pickup w/ crew cab - Firearms in a locked case/bag, in the back seat, on the passenger side (seat or floor).
    Pickup w/ only front seats - Firearms in a locked case/bag, on the passenger side floor.

There is NO requirement for cases to be locked while transporting in maryland.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Handgun transportation...

https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2019/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-2/sect-4-203/
    (b) This section does not prohibit
    (3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

Rifles are more lenient. You basically can't have a loaded rifle in or against your car while hunting.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Federal law covers interstate travel through restricted areas...
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(Added Pub. L. 99–360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)
    Federal law doesn't require you to do this, it says IF you carry in this manner, you are then protected against state laws.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Are you ( Jim12) discussing Intrastate within Maryland , or Interstate invoking FOPA ? The answers are very different .

Both, with distinctions highlighted between the two would be helpful. Bonus points for a chart or charts showing different vehicle types and reqs. : -) Thanks.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    What you need to understand is the nature of your transport.

If you are transporting in state, following Maryland law:

1. No restriction on long guns as long as they are unloaded. It can be in the front seat with you (but I wouldn't). I throw them in the back seat all the time.

2. Handguns have to be in a case, and unloaded. Said case can be in the front seat with you (but I wouldn't). You can only transport it for valid reasons (going to the range, gun store,etc).

If you are transporting interstate, under FOPA, then the requirements to be in an area not reachable to the driver come in to play. In your cited case, since no separate locking compartment exists, my guess is the safest bet is to create one (locked box or case) out of the drivers reach (under rear seat maybe) with the ammo separate.

But again, if just transporting in MD for legal purposes, you don't need to do all that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Don't forget the Grandfathered local restrictions on long guns , notably Baltimore City , MoCo , and Leonardtown .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also, there is nothing in MD law preventing you from transporting loaded magazines. Just that they cannot be inserted in the firearm.

So pistol AND loaded mags in a range bag is OK.

As has been stated, FOPA is different, but FOPA only applies if you transport from one state THROUGH another (or through several) , into a third state. In that case, if you transport in accordance with FOPA and the possession is legal in the beginning and ending states, you have an affirmative defense while in the intervening states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom