HAS ANYONE REQUESTED THEIR REGISTRATION FILE AT MSP?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    guys, I called the Firearms Registration Division and asked how to submit a FOIA request. The lady, whom was extremely nice, asked me "you mean to find out which weapons you have registered?" in an as-a-matter-of fact way....this tells me that: 1. they have had these requests before, and; 2. that they do have such information readily available.

Anyway, I faxed my request to the Registration Division. COGCON-thanks for the editing..wish I had seen it before sending mine.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    I have been checking this thread out and am interested to see how it progresses.

Got reminded of this thread today when watching the 1980s original Red Dawn (not sure if the remake has this part). Apparently the director took a nice shot at the left gun grabbers back then and specifically form 4473. When the Soviets/Cubans first invade the Cuban Colonel directs on of his men with this quote

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files obtain forms 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons, and lists of private ownership".

Not sure if the new Movie has that part but just reminded me of this thread. Where there are multi-part forms, I am sure there is a paper trail with one of the groups that takes the form.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    You're presuming that there even is a "file".

I'd like to hear the results of your inquiry, but I have a sneaking suspicion that we're over estimating the ability of the MSP to have the resources to collate, maintain and analyze all of the of forms and transactions to even put together a "file" on everyone.

When they do bring data together to create one as part of an investigation, I'm throwing out there the theory that the materials are collated after the fact and when someone already has the spotlight on them and they go digging for information.

When my wife and I became foster parents back in 2007 I had to go the the Jessup MSP to get a print out of all my guns. When the trooper gave me the print out it only had my regulated guns listed. I asked him and about all of my info on the guns I own. He told me that they do not keep any info on unregulated guns at all.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    They definitely keep a list,however I've seen them send out a request to at least two people I know asking them to help update there list,what they still bad and what they disposed of,I've also been contacted in regards to handguns registered to me recovered in an investigation that I had sold and transferred thru a md ffl dealer appx 2 years prior to being contacted,this was about two and half years ago,keep your paperwork somewhere safe!

Swaye

Jun 11, 2012
    Odenton
    Very good stuff. I did some editing in case anyone else would like to send a PIA request to MSP:

###############################################
    NAME
    Address
    City, State ZIP
    Date

Maryland State Police
    Records Command
    1201 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208

Dear Sir or Madam:

This is a request under the Maryland Public Information Act, State Government Article §§10-611 to 628. I am making this request on behalf of myself. I wish to inspect all records in your custody and control pertaining to the following:

(A) Access to and copies of any and all documentation, searches, database information, electronic and paper holdings, including, but not limited to, Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) data, regarding the ownership of regulated and non-regulated firearms by me.

(B) Any information you may hold on the locations and storage, purchase history, licensing, use, disposition, transactions, transfers of such weapons, accessories, and ammunition, that you may have on my person.

(C) Copies of any medical information you may have collected pursuant to the mandatory medical waiver form signed prior to transfer of regulated firearms in Maryland.

(D) Any information that MSP Licensing Division, or any MSP Office or Division may have on my person, and not limited to this agency or this state, and including Federal Government agency files of which your agency may have copies or access to, and/or shared with, including but not limited to BATFE, FBI.

(E) Clarification as to what specific measures MSP takes in order to shield or protect my privacy regarding the items I am requesting on this letter of access by a third-party, such as the press or a private entity.

If all or any part of this request is denied, I request that I be provided with a written statement of the grounds for the denial. If you determine that some portions of the requested records are exempt from disclosure, please provide me with the portions that can be disclosed.

I also anticipate that I will want copies of some or all of the records sought. Therefore, please advise me as to the cost, if any, for obtaining a copy of the records and the total cost, if any, for all the records described above. If you have adopted a fee schedule for obtaining copies of records and other rules or regulations implementing the Act, please send me a copy.

I look forward to receiving disclosable records promptly and, in any event, to a decision about all of the requested records within 30 days. If you have any questions regarding this request, please telephone me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Sincerely,

Excellent letter. We should pin this so everyone can see/do this.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Someone has information, during my SF86 interview, my investigator had a list of everything I owned.

What? For a security clearance?

I've done 2 in the last 10yrs and never seen that, though I obviously didn't see all of the records pulled.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Someone has information, during my SF86 interview, my investigator had a list of everything I owned.

probably got pulled from NICs check/database.. not Maryland. that is if you have not done any ftf transfer (long guns that is).

I've never had an investigator even mention it in a PR. Now I'm really curious...

maybe he had higher clearnance checks than you do.

i remember my FIL telling us a story how he got the job at the Agency.. he even found that he had relatives he didnt even know about.. LOL

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    probably got pulled from NICs check/database.. not Maryland. that is if you have not done any ftf transfer (long guns that is).

If it was pulled from NICS, there has been a clear violation of the law.

All data is supposed to be removed within 72 hrs of a successful transaction, no firearm information is transferred to the call center besides log-gun/handgun/other.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    maybe he had higher clearnance checks than you do.

i remember my FIL telling us a story how he got the job at the Agency.. he even found that he had relatives he didnt even know about.. LOL

I forgot that poly people are so much cooler than me. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Now you've got me really thinking... in my first and second investigations I only owned two long guns, private purchases...

They're going to noticed my 15 purchases in the last two years this time around lol.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I forgot that poly people are so much cooler than me. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Now you've got me really thinking... in my first and second investigations I only owned two long guns, private purchases...

They're going to noticed my 15 purchases in the last two years this time around lol.

ut oh.. you a bad man... you will not be good employee for owning 15 evil things!!!

:lol2:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If it was pulled from NICS, there has been a clear violation of the law.

All data is supposed to be removed within 72 hrs of a successful transaction, no firearm information is transferred to the call center besides log-gun/handgun/other.

them saying vs doing is totally different..

look what happened yesterday.. they guy took an oath of office.. is he going to follow it.. more certainly not.. ;)

"we the people" = "we the gooberment"

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    PIA requests have to be very specific. You cant use it for fishing. You have to know exactly what documents you want, and their dates and who was involved.

Im not saying your doing it wrong but wouldnt be surprised if it comes back blank since officially MSP doesnt track.

Question though: for regulated Title 1 firearms, do the forms get submitted electronically or faxed?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    When my wife and I became foster parents back in 2007 I had to go the the Jessup MSP to get a print out of all my guns. When the trooper gave me the print out it only had my regulated guns listed. I asked him and about all of my info on the guns I own. He told me that they do not keep any info on unregulated guns at all.

This is what I always assumed. Regulated goes into an MSP database, non-regulated 4473s happen at the Fed level so MD doesn't know about them. When prominent seizures have happened, it's clear the MSP have a list in hand when entering a residence.

Now, whether it's legal for them to maintain a database is another story. Unfortunately I don't think we have privacy guarantees like at the Fed level with NICs, and MSP is free to do what they want with the information the collect.

The main issue I have with them keeping tabs on what I own is that there is no petition to amend the records to show sales or theft of any item associated with your name. MSP currently thinks I own at least twice as many guns as I do. So in a sense, they really don't know exactly what you own... only what you've bought.

Anyhoo, I'm curious to see what the OP's response is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom