• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • racer79

n00b
    Jan 24, 2013
    Northern MD
    Does anyone have info concerning a live stream or Tv coverage for the hearing tomorrow for those of us who can't attend?

I did a little searching and the best thing I could find was

Maryland General Assembly

On the right side under "What's Happening Now" there are links to listen live to current sessions. However I'm not sure that the committee meeting would be there.

The hearings are archived here: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmcommittees.aspx?pid=commsenaudio&tab=subject7
    but obviously isn't live.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Unfortunately, MD is so pathetic with the technology aspects...they only cover floor proceedings from the chambers, not committee hearings, live.

It's crap. I'm sure there will be a live thread and some will be using the twitter hash tag #MDGunGrab to post/tweet specifics (respectively).

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I stand corrected... I emailed the webmaster of the General Assembly page.... and you can use the below info, accessed by clicking this link...

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmcommittees.aspx?pid=commsenaudio&tab=subject7

All hearings are available for listening/viewing during and after. You can listen by selecting the small icon beside House or Senate under the “What’s Happening Now” section on the Homepage. If you are listening to a House committee select the committee that you are interested in. A list of all hearings is displayed. Click the link in the “Presentation Title” column for the day of the hearing to listen/view (Check the schedule for the start time of the meeting). If you listening to a Senate committee hearing there will be an “on-air” link in the “Live” column to listen. FYI – the Senate committee is called Judicial Proceedings – the House committee is Judiciary

Attachments

• Live Committee Coverage 1.jpg
      Live Committee Coverage 1.jpg
      56.3 KB · Views: 1,635
    • Live Committee Coverage 2.jpg
      Live Committee Coverage 2.jpg
      34.6 KB · Views: 1,679

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    One more thing from the webmaster.

One more thing – on the House committee hearing page the “Type” column will change from “Scheduled” to “Live” when the meeting is convened and from “Live” to “On Demand” after the meeting is adjourned.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    It appears there are some hearings going on right now.

Can anyone access them?

Ugh...the F'ers look like they are using .ram files...what the hell is that? Real Player still?

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    No. Not without good and substantial reason.
    LOL...now that's funny.

But...seriously, make sure your pop up blockers are off because I had to use IE 7 instead of Firefox.

Is this Real Player? I asked them when they sought feed back over the summer on the new GA site if they would use a modern player / media format.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Ugh...worse...I think I just figured it out...it's MS Silverlight (f'ing devils). I thought flash was bad enough...that's worse!

EDIT: Correction...the senate works with Real Media (the .ram file extension) and the house uses Silverlight. Are you kidding me?

HORRIBLE! Inexcusable really. They should be using at worst...a flashed base player that would be compatible with both mac and PC (or QuickTime).

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Ok...So I just determined I can access this from my iphone. So stupid! Why the hell isn't it accessible from windows media player.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    yes you have to use Silverlight for the video feeds and Realplayer for the audio ones. Everyone should make a test run today to get everything installed. Would not want anyone to miss anything.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    They sent this back to me...

Yet every time that I attempt to click on the "live" button on their website...I get the .ram file extension.

You can use any audio player that supports .mp4

I'm attempting to track this down.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    So I have determined that it will play on an iPhone (without issue). To me, that's not good enough.

I gave the webmaster more input and I got this back last:

It should play automatically with your audio/video player (RealPlayer, Windows Media…) A couple of questions – what version of IE are you using (We currently don’t support IE 7 or below or IE 10)? Have you tried downloading RealPlayer? Have you tried using another browser?

I then offered this to them, and copied Del. Smegiel as well.

I have tried FireFox 18.0.1, without any luck.

I have used RealPlayer in the past, and that thing is a pile of dog dun (sorry to be frank). I would consider it for use on a personal computer, but I do not have admin rights at work.

It is rather interesting to me that non-prevalent file types are used when people are attempting to use them for transparency in their government process. With that said, I have discovered I can use my iPhone to access the link, but that should not be a work around. These files should work anytime, anywhere, on any machine, with any browser and, a "normal" set of plugins. I know that is nitpicking, but I have also conversed with several friends whom are having similar issues and wish not to add limited use software (or simply cannot add it due to their work environment). We are fortunate in that our jobs & employeers allow us access to information, but we cannot do so at the expense of altering their protocols. The same goes for use of MS Silverlight on the House side. As the web moves towards more HTML 5 and away from flash content, why are these regressive content distributors and viewers being used?

I recall this past summer, before the new website went live that I specifically requested a modern format, non-unique, player/plugin was used for audio and video of chamber and committee proceedings. I was able to watch the State of the State with zero issues and with zero changes made to my computer. This is how the rest of the legislature's web based media should be. Afterall, we want the most amount of people to see what our government is doing on our behalf, do we not?

Thank you for your assistance, and your patients in troubleshooting this issue. I sincerely hope you and your team look for better solutions as you tweak the new site.

It does go back to what OCCBrian said...you must have a good and substantial reason to view the proceedings of your government.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Go to HTML5 already. What is this? 2001?
    Exactly...

I think when I pointed that out to them...they gave me a canned response of (We'll pass along your comments).

I know enough about the web design industry to be an informed user...not some schlep they thought they'd be able to pass over.

Goateggs

Jan 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Is there any chance there's a WIFI hot spot on the mall.

I intend to be in the hearing room, but I have my iPhone set up to use as a hotspot, and I'll be using it to connect my netbook to the internet. I am willing to set up a shared connection if anyone else in the hearing room needs wifi access. Of course, this will only last for a couple of hours before I drain the battery, and I don't know what the physical range of the iPhone hotspot is. When I've used it before we've all been within 30 feet of each other. But PM me if you want to try this and I'll give you the network name and password, or email me at kathy.hutchins@harpyr.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom