• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I'm guessing the person wanting the Tavor isn't a Maryland resident. The transaction has to go through an FFL because the transaction is crossing state lines.

As for the guy wanting the Glock, I wouldn't sell it to him based on his inability to write a coherent sentence.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    The Glock guy I would consider reporting to the police. It's clear he knows the law and wants to circumvent. But I find registration to be unconstitutional so I may live and let live and find a legit buyer. Hard to say what I would do. Glad it's not my dilemma.

The other one seems clueless. Maybe it's the terrible grammar, but it seems like there is an English language barrier and a lack of understanding of the distinction you're making. I wouldn't bother reporting that one.

Also, I don't believe an FFL is legally required for out-of-state banned rifle sales, but you can certainly stipulate that you want to use one anyway (and I could be wrong although I skimmed SB281 before posting).

I agree on the second guy seeming more clueless. Remember that to all us "experts" :) Cash & Carry has a specific legal meaning when referencing the sale of a firearm. To the rest of the folks in everyday usage it would likely be interpreted like "cash on the barrel-head", or "I've got the cash, don't worry about that" etc...

May 13, 2005
    I'm guessing the person wanting the Tavor isn't a Maryland resident. The transaction has to go through an FFL because the transaction is crossing state lines.

As for the guy wanting the Glock, I wouldn't sell it to him based on his inability to write a coherent sentence.

The way I read the new laws post 1 October is you are not allowed to offer for sale any banned weapons unless you are an FFL (out of state of course). The only exemptions listed for sale, offer to sell etc... are FFLs and it has to be out of state. I don't see any exemption for current owners exept the exemption to possess and transport currently owned pre-Oct banned items.

I know this sounds counter-intuitive, because you would think that the crafters of SB281 would WANT you to sell them and get them out of state, but I see no exemption for you to sell them or offer them for sale. Is this wrong?

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    The more I looked at the text of exchange, it struck me as someone trying to come off as illiterate. Maybe it was a sting.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    a6eqe2a4.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    The way I read the new laws post 1 October is you are not allowed to offer for sale any banned weapons unless you are an FFL (out of state of course). The only exemptions listed for sale, offer to sell etc... are FFLs and it has to be out of state. I don't see any exemption for current owners exept the exemption to possess and transport currently owned pre-Oct banned items.

I know this sounds counter-intuitive, because you would think that the crafters of SB281 would WANT you to sell them and get them out of state, but I see no exemption for you to sell them or offer them for sale. Is this wrong?

I will have to look into that....hope you are wrong. I think i am ok as along as i sell via an FFL.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    If its not... they did not actually do it, so no laws are broken and what is going to happen? Nothing.

Arent these kinds of illegal purchases the very ones we all made a point to distance our selves from back in Feb/Mar when we went before the House/Senate?

I'm trying to come up with a reason why you would not report this.

Its not like its a live and let live kind of thing where your neighbor builds a fence without a permit or something. This is someone trying to buy a gun illegally, who very well may be prohibited.

At best they are just untrusting of the govt and want unregistered guns (if so they are going about it the worst possible way), at worst they are one of those people adding to the stats that the govt is using when killing the 2A.

(all this ^ assumes that its not a sting)

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    I'm going to correct myself by quoting COMAR for SB281.

A. This chapter restricts the sale, rental, transfer, purchase, receipt, possession, and transport of regulated firearms and assault weapons in the State.
    B. A dealer or other person may not:
    (1) Sell, rent, transfer, purchase, receive, or possess a regulated firearm in violation of this chapter;
    (2) Participate in a straw purchase in violation of this chapter;
    (3) Transport a regulated firearm into the State for the purpose of unlawfully selling or trafficking the regulated firearm; or
    (4) Obliterate, remove, change, or alter the manufacturer’s identification mark or number on a firearm.
    C. Except as provided in §D or E of this regulation, a person may not:
    (1) Possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault weapon in the State; or
    (2) Transport an assault weapon into the State.
    D. The prohibitions in §C of this regulation do not apply to:
    (1) Personnel of the United States government or an agency or department of the United States while acting within the scope of official business;
    (2) A railroad police officer, authorized under 49 U.S.C. §28101 or Public Safety Article, Title 3, Annotated Code of Maryland, while acting within the scope of official business;
    (3) Possession, purchase, sale, manufacture, receipt for manufacture, shipment for manufacture, importation, and transport to or by a licensed firearms dealer or manufacturer who is:
    (a) Providing or servicing an assault weapon or detachable magazine for a law enforcement unit or for personnel exempt under §D(1) or (2) of this regulation;
    (b) Acting to sell or transfer an assault weapon or detachable magazine to a licensed firearms dealer in another state or to an individual purchaser in another state through a licensed firearms dealer; or
    (c) Acting to return to a customer in another state an assault weapon transferred to the licensed firearms dealer or manufacturer under the terms of a warranty or for repair; or
    (4) Receipt and possession of an assault weapon or detachable magazine by inheritance, in accordance with Regulation .10 of this chapter, if the decedent lawfully possessed the assault weapon and the person inheriting the assault weapon or detachable magazine is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm;
    (5) Receipt of an assault weapon or detachable magazine by a personal representative of an estate for the purposes of exercising the representative’s powers and duties, if the representative is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm;
    (6) Possession by a person who is retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the State or a local law enforcement agency in the State and is not otherwise prohibited from possessing an assault weapon or detachable magazine, if:
    (a) The assault weapon or detachable magazine was purchased or obtained by the person for official use with the law enforcement agency before retirement; or
    (b) The assault weapon or detachable magazine is sold or transferred to the person by the law enforcement agency on retirement; or
    (7) Possession or transport by an employee of an armored car company if the individual is acting within the scope of employment and has a permit issued under Public Safety Article, Title 5, Subtitle 3, Annotated Code of Maryland;
    (8) Possession, receipt, transfer, and shipping to or from:
    (a) An ISO 17025 accredited ballistics-testing laboratory approved by the National Institute of Justice; or
    (b) A facility or entity that manufactures or provides research and development testing, analysis, or engineering for personal protective equipment or vehicle protection systems; or
    (9) Possession or transport by an individual who lawfully possessed the assault pistol before June 1, 1994, if it was registered with the Secretary before August 1, 1994;
    (10) Possession or transport by individual who lawfully possessed, had a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase the assault long gun or copycat weapon before October 1, 2013; or
    (11) Possession, sale, offer for sale, or transfer by a dealer of an assault long gun or a copycat weapon that the dealer lawfully possessed on or before October 1, 2013.
    E. This chapter does not apply to:
    (1) The sale, transfer, or possession of an antique firearm;
    (2) A firearm modified to render it permanently inoperative;
    (3) An unserviceable firearm sold, transferred, or possessed as a curio or museum piece;
    (4) Law enforcement personnel of any unit of the federal government or law enforcement personnel of the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State while acting within the scope of their official duties;
    (5) Members of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard while acting within the scope of their official duties;
    (6) A sale, rental, transfer, or use of a regulated firearm by a person authorized or required to do so as part of the person’s duties as a member of:
    (a) An official police force or other law enforcement agency;
    (b) The armed forced of the United States, including all official reserve organizations; or
    (c) The Maryland National Guard; or
    (7) Purchases, sales, and transportation to or by a federally licensed firearm manufacturer, dealer, or importer;
    (8) The transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or detachable magazine by a federally licensed firearm manufacturer, dealer, or importer for testing or experimentation authorized by the Secretary;
    (9) An organization that is required or authorized by federal law governing its specific business or activity to maintain firearms; or
    (10) A signal pistol or other visual distress signal that the United States Coast Guard approves as a marine safety device.

It seems to me that if you had a place out of state to store it and you conducted all the business of selling it and listing it from out of state after the banned rifle left MD, you would be in the clear to not use an FFL (pending the state law of whatever other state you picked). Otherwise it looks like one is required on both ends. But I'm not a lawyer. Counter-intuitive indeed.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    The wannabe Tavor buyer sounds like he's writing with a Russian accent. :)

Plus a native-born American or long-time resident wouldn't put the dollar sign after the amount...

Just sayin'...

Nah, I disagree. He actually posted a fairly clear response, albeit not in formal english, then accidentally pasted it in a second time.

He wanted to say "Im in maryland now, if i pickup the tavor can be cash an carry"

It looks like he typed that, accidently copied his entire response and then pasted it in place of the word 'cash' in the original sentence:

So this:
    "Im in maryland now, if i pickup the tavor can be cash an carry"

Became this:
    "Im in maryland now, if i pickup the tavor can be Im in maryland now, if i pickup the tavor can be cash an carry an carry"

Probably just some guy replying on a smart phone.

May 13, 2005

It seems to me that if you had a place out of state to store it and you conducted all the business of selling it and listing it from out of state after the banned rifle left MD, you would be in the clear to not use an FFL (pending the state law of whatever other state you picked). Otherwise it looks like one is required on both ends. But I'm not a lawyer. Counter-intuitive indeed.

I really hope we are reading this wrong, but if it is the case, this probably needs to get highlighted PDQ. Or there will be a shit ton of people breaking the law and not realizing it.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    those posts have police written all over them. that obvious effort to distort the English language. email them back and ask them what agency they are with. lol

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Nah, I disagree. He actually posted a fairly clear response, albeit not in formal english, then accidentally pasted it in a second time.

He wanted to say "Im in maryland now, if i pickup the tavor can be cash an carry"

It looks like he typed that, accidently copied his entire response and then pasted it in place of the word 'cash' in the original sentence:

So this:
    "Im in maryland now, if i pickup the tavor can be cash an carry"

Became this:
    "Im in maryland now, if i pickup the tavor can be Im in maryland now, if i pickup the tavor can be cash an carry an carry"

Probably just some guy replying on a smart phone.

Exactly, the guys is using a smartphone. BTW, TAVOR guy has an established online presence ( FB, linkedin, others), whereas Glock guy comes empty on a quick google and PIPL.com search...

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County

Note, the very first line in COMAR states "in the state". SB281 imposes no prohibitions on sales outside of the state of Maryland. Since SB281 doesn't apply to non-Maryland residents, this means that you can sell any gun you own to any non-Maryland resident that you want to, so long as the sale happens through an FFL in the buyer's home state.

FFLs are always required for interstate sales. That's a Federal requirement, not state.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory

You maybe right....i maybe crazy...:party29: good Billy Joel tune.

I think i will take the ads for the TAVOR down. The law is confusing and i am not sure i can even offer for sale being a non-licensee. I do not want to become the test case.:mad54: hopefully, the MSP trolls reading our site will understand....if not, i am hiding the dog tonight....:innocent0

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    Note, the very first line in COMAR states "in the state". SB281 imposes no prohibitions on sales outside of the state of Maryland. Since SB281 doesn't apply to non-Maryland residents, this means that you can sell any gun you own to any non-Maryland resident that you want to, so long as the sale happens through an FFL in the buyer's home state.

FFLs are always required for interstate sales. That's a Federal requirement, not state.

Yes. I had a really stupid moment there on interstate transfers. Edited that post to reflect it and avoid leading anyone astray due to my idiocy. But what is the definition of "offer to sell" because that is also prohibited "in the state."

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Yes. I had a really stupid moment there on interstate transfers. Edited that post to reflect it and avoid leading anyone astray due to my idiocy. But what is the definition of "offer to sell" because that is also prohibited "in the state."

Using my best Bill Clinton imitation voice: "...it depends what the meaning of "in" is..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom