• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Just curious, what is the method that the SP uses when deciding where you will conduct your in-person interview? I have my appt tomorrow and I have to go to Elkton when I live .20 miles from the Benson Barracks in Bel Air.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Mine was in North East, ~5.5 miles from my house. If they said it was anywhere else I would have had an issue with it. They have Troopers all over the State surely ONE can be at your local barracks for this dog and pony show of a process.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Just curious, what is the method that the SP uses when deciding where you will conduct your in-person interview? I have my appt tomorrow and I have to go to Elkton when I live .20 miles from the Benson Barracks in Bel Air.

My business owner permit application interview was done by phone. Once received, I then applied for a modification of my initial restrictions. When this request was denied I appealed. My appeal meeting took place in Reisterstown.

When I was a Corrections Officer long ago I went to the Jessup barracks but I think that was just to drop off the paperwork. I don't think I had an interview at all back then.

My guess is that it is up to the discretion of your assigned investigator as many of the folks on MDS have only had phone interviews recently.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Mine was done in Aberdeen. The closest barracks has nothing to do with the interview as the Trooper doing it is assigned to Licensing Division. It probably has to do with case load, and where other interviewees are located.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    District Court in Elkton, there's a MSP trooper assigned there that conducts interviews.

Interesting. They have him driving right past (and 10 miles further) than the Barracks on 40 in North East.

NormH3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 31, 2011
    Delaware
    Interesting. They have him driving right past (and 10 miles further) than the Barracks on 40 in North East.

Perhaps they have multiple interviews and others are from Cecil County. The person in B'lair may not be available today. He could always ask when he gets there.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I didn't bother asking about why I had to travel to Elkton, but I live 2 minutes from the barracks in Bel Air and drove by numerous other locations where I could have done the interview.

Very nice experience. I thought the trooper was very down to earth and reasonable with his questions. He indicated that Realtors are a difficult bunch to handle due to the various and irregular nature of our travels and business.

We spoke for about 20-30 minutes about other things not related to my interview and he seemed like a good guy. I got some insight on the review panel and what his job as my interviewer was. I felt good about the interview and his position when I left, just not confident on the probability of the outcome of my application.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Good luck man! Couldn't tell ya how many sketchy vacant homes I've been in, some unexpectedly occupied by druggies, homeless vagrants, partyin gang bangers, and once even a pit bull to scare away anyone trying to enter/sell a foreclosed house.

I can think of at least a dozen scares over my 11 years in the biz, where I wish I had the opportunity to carry. Law enforcement folks have told me in the past that since I hadn't actually been documented as being attacked, to the point of being hospitalized, that my Realtor status wouldn't be enough to justify my getting approved, so I never bothered. Makes me miss workin in VA, including Fairfax, where the NRA is based...

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Unless you are claiming you are carrying money it ain't gonna fly.

I applied using my Appraisal license, they make no mention of any Real Estate activity on my restrictions. I go into around 180 homes a year, small percentage are in shit areas and/or vacant homes.

They don't want to hear it, unless it includes documented threats, police reports and other BS.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    I didn't bother asking about why I had to travel to Elkton, but I live 2 minutes from the barracks in Bel Air and drove by numerous other locations where I could have done the interview.

Very nice experience. I thought the trooper was very down to earth and reasonable with his questions. He indicated that Realtors are a difficult bunch to handle due to the various and irregular nature of our travels and business.

We spoke for about 20-30 minutes about other things not related to my interview and he seemed like a good guy. I got some insight on the review panel and what his job as my interviewer was. I felt good about the interview and his position when I left, just not confident on the probability of the outcome of my application.

I wish you the best, but I don't think the trooper's friendliness or demeanor really counts for much if anything. Good that you're realisitic about it.

I also had a good experience, trooper seemed sympathetic, cordial, etc. Others interviewed on background seemed to think the same thing. I don't know what the trooper's report said, but I was turned down and again on appeal, with a pretty decent case.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Mine was at the Waterloo (Jessup) Barracks which is no more than 6 miles from the house. Interview was with a retired trooper who said all she does is work for Licensing. She was very nice, professional and the whole thing was done in under 15 minutes.

All my references said that she was also very cordial and professional with them as well.

She did tell me that my application looked fine and that she thought it would not be a problem but that the final decision was not hers. I'm guessing there is a Corporal who reviews the interviews/application and renders the final verdict?

Mailed the application on a Monday morning, Thursday received a call for the interview which was set for about 1.5 weeks later and then permit received about 90 days after the interview.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    My in-person, which was never performed after the trooper decided that he had "no action" since I was a "pre-stay" applicant using "self-defense and all lawful purposes", would have required me to travel to Prince Frederick from Ellicott City.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom