• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    What's the difference and what can I build in Maryland? I'm looking for a winter project and will be starting with an 80% lower.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Pistol can't have a shoulderable stock or vertical foregrip.

SBR has to be greater than 29'' OAL and you have to file a form 1 from ATF and wait for approval to make

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I felt like an AR pistol gave me more flexibility with less paperwork than an SBR. No length requirements, no tax stamp and fewer travel restrictions.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    The travel restrictions is the worse part IMO, Maryland is such a small state and easy to drive to VA WVA PA NC etc if I want to on a moments notice.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I felt like an AR pistol gave me more flexibility with less paperwork than an SBR. No length requirements, no tax stamp and fewer travel restrictions.

This is true. Of course, you are stuck with a gun that you can't shoulder. I hate AR pistols, so I'm a bit biased.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    This is true. Of course, you are stuck with a gun that you can't shoulder. I hate AR pistols, so I'm a bit biased.

A crutch tip is not a stock. As for shouldering, don't ask, don't tell, and don't video.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A crutch tip is not a stock. As for shouldering, don't ask, don't tell, and don't video.

It's not the same. The beauty of a SBR is how nice it is to shoulder. I have friends who pop chubbies over AR pistols. It's not something I get....

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    It's not the same. The beauty of a SBR is how nice it is to shoulder. I have friends who pop chubbies over AR pistols. It's not something I get....

And most of us don't understand your fascination with prostate exams but we don't judge.:lol2:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    To be serious though I would build it as an pistol until your tax stamp comes in. This way you can enjoy it and make the small changes while you wait for the tax stamp.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don't get it, either. SBRs are the way to go, unless you absolutely must hit that < 29" mark.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    The thought of a tax stamp defeats the purpose of building an 80% lower IMO. I saw a picture in the AR Picture thread of an SBR with the Troy PDW stock and liked the look but if that classifies it as an SBR and I need a stamp then I'll just build a pistol.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The travel restrictions is the worse part IMO, Maryland is such a small state and easy to drive to VA WVA PA NC etc if I want to on a moments notice.

You can file a Form 20 to cover up to 1 year.

So many just file them for all their SBRs to all the nearby states, each year.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    To be serious though I would build it as an pistol until your tax stamp comes in. This way you can enjoy it and make the small changes while you wait for the tax stamp.

Agreed.

Did this, built pistol with 10.5" barrel. Once tax stamp came in and had it engraved, just replaced the buffer tube and added the stock.

Easy peazy.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery

I don't get it, either. SBRs are the way to go, unless you absolutely must hit that < 29" mark.

IMO, the only appeal to pistols is the fact that you don't have to deal with the NFA BS and pay an extra $200. If NFA was repealed tomorrow, every pistol would have a stock on it. I can't see anyone choosing a pistol buffer tube over a regular stock if it weren't for the extra hoops to jump through. Unless, like erwos says, someone is dead set on building something under 29".

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Agreed.

Did this, built pistol with 10.5" barrel. Once tax stamp came in and had it engraved, just replaced the buffer tube and added the stock.

Easy peazy.

This ^^^A pistol is fun til you put a suppressor on it, then you need a stock IMHO. Then it's SBR time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom