• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Question for the experienced shooters.

This is my first steel challenge match so my goal is to win, but short of that my fallback goal is to not come in dead last.

Is there any reason not to shoot in the open division?

If I can pickup some 17rnd mags tomorrow for my CZ would change to production, but if not I’m limited in which guns I have equipment for.

I think my limited experience may actually be more helpful in offering advice, because I still remember my first time ;) My wife and I had dabbled in some of the early AGC action shooting, then went pretty hard into the steel challenge at Delta PA just this year.

If this is your first foray into any sort of competitive shooting like this, bring the gun you are most familiar and comfortable with...not necessarily the best or fasted shot. I would humbly suggest that both your primary and fallback goal should be "don't screw up and get DQ'ed." (That's mine :D) I recognize some of the names signed up from having shot with them at Delta...winning is probably not on the table for many of us (myself certainly included) :o

If the CZ is hammer fired, I'd suggest going with the Glock. Your first time out, you are going to have enough going through your mind (a lot of which will be figured out next time, and you'll wonder what you were so worried about :rolleye12). Why pile on having to worry about decocking/manual safety? Now...you will have to remember to turn the sight on on your Glock :tap: but at least messing that up won't get you DQ'ed. An iron sighted Glock would be the simplest choice for a first time. It's not my first time...but that's what I'm using :innocent0 (and I don't even like Glocks :shrug:)

I've seen much more experienced shooters than me fumble with or forget decocking/safety. I've used a 1911 in practice a few times, and have gotten safety on/safety off mostly established as a habit. However, I would not have been as confident in my very first competition.

Reliability should also be a consideration. One of the surprises to me just getting into this sport was the number of stoppages people have-even Glocks :eek: Often times they are immediately and instinctually cleared...but that's just one more thing to get into your head.

Also, one rookie mistake I made that you can avoid: However much ammo you think you should bring, bring more:innocent0 It is better to haul some back home than run out.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I think my limited experience may actually be more helpful in offering advice, because I still remember my first time ;) My wife and I had dabbled in some of the early AGC action shooting, then went pretty hard into the steel challenge at Delta PA just this year.

If this is your first foray into any sort of competitive shooting like this, bring the gun you are most familiar and comfortable with...not necessarily the best or fasted shot. I would humbly suggest that both your primary and fallback goal should be "don't screw up and get DQ'ed." (That's mine :D) I recognize some of the names signed up from having shot with them at Delta...winning is probably not on the table for many of us (myself certainly included) :o

If the CZ is hammer fired, I'd suggest going with the Glock. Your first time out, you are going to have enough going through your mind (a lot of which will be figured out next time, and you'll wonder what you were so worried about :rolleye12). Why pile on having to worry about decocking/manual safety? Now...you will have to remember to turn the sight on on your Glock :tap: but at least messing that up won't get you DQ'ed. An iron sighted Glock would be the simplest choice for a first time. It's not my first time...but that's what I'm using :innocent0 (and I don't even like Glocks :shrug:)

I've seen much more experienced shooters than me fumble with or forget decocking/safety. I've used a 1911 in practice a few times, and have gotten safety on/safety off mostly established as a habit. However, I would not have been as confident in my very first competition.

Reliability should also be a consideration. One of the surprises to me just getting into this sport was the number of stoppages people have-even Glocks :eek: Often times they are immediately and instinctually cleared...but that's just one more thing to get into your head.

Also, one rookie mistake I made that you can avoid: However much ammo you think you should bring, bring more:innocent0 It is better to haul some back home than run out.

A lot of good advice in that post.

Is it a competition? Hell yes, we're not the snowflake brigade that doesn't keep score in a six year old soccer game but the prize money for first place is the same as last place. One thing that the action shooting sports community does extremely well is welcome new shooters. I have gotten great advice on how to shoot a stage from some of my competitors.

Bottom line is that everyone is going to shoot (a lot :D) and I can just about guarandamntee that everyone is going to have an absolute blast doing it. Win or lose.

Mar 6, 2019
    This’ll be my first go round too. It’ll be a new experience for sure. I’m gonna take a couple extra boxes beyond the recommended so I can finish no matter what. It’s probably overkill but it’ll let me finish if I forget how to shoot. No 30’s and no DQ is the plan. Second part should be easy, the first... we’ll see.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    This will be my second one of these. Lost my Steel Cherry at Peacemaker, which runs their matches in a giant wind tunnel and sandblasting operation. My only thought that day was to not be That Guy and get DQed, and that is my only aspiration for this match, too. If I'm feeling safe and having fun, nothing whatsoever else matters. In order to make absolutely sure I don't score well, I'm trying both pistol and PCC, and in pistol, I'm using a new CZ I've only had out a few times to punch paper. So please save that bottom slot for me, I'll need it! :)

For you guys that haven't done this before, don't let the nerves get to you. If it's anything like my first time, everyone is great and helpful and zero Fs are given about anybody's performance as long as they are keeping it safe.

The only down side is that you'll be wanting to do it again very soon, have to buy more ammo, will probably want more guns, and will have to figure out how to get out of other obligations so you can play again soon.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

Hey thanks Art. Thanks for the feedback. I guess the big takeaway is shoot what you are comfortable with. My CZ is DA with manual safety and I didn’t think about the added complexity of using that gun.

I did an intro to IDPA a few years ago when I first started shooting pistols. I sucked a$$. I couldn’t hit anything. Later I realized I was cross eye dominant and once I developed a decent sight picture shots started going where they were aimed. So I’m looking forward to pinging steel on the clock.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Any gun you have not practiced with is complex.

CZ is a great gun. Mainly dry fire practice drawing, safety off, and getting your first shot on target in under 1.5 seconds. Does not take long to instill some muscle memory with dry fire practice. You have plenty of time between now and Oct 12th to practice.

You could get one of those laser dry fire trainers (LaserLyte, Laser Ammo, LaserHIT etc.), for dry fire practice too. It's about a $100 -200 investment depending how fancy you go, but well worth it in my opinion. I think people who just generally carry should practice drawing with the gun they carry, but that's again my .02.

Finding the 'murican size CZ mags is different. I had to have a VA shop order them. But the Dulles expo gun show is this weekend IIRC, maybe worth a drive.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Any gun you have not practiced with is complex.

CZ is a great gun. Mainly dry fire practice drawing, safety off, and getting your first shot on target in under 1.5 seconds. Does not take long to instill some muscle memory with dry fire practice. You have plenty of time between now and Oct 12th to practice.

You could get one of those laser dry fire trainers (LaserLyte, Laser Ammo, LaserHIT etc.), for dry fire practice too. It's about a $100 -200 investment depending how fancy you go, but well worth it in my opinion. I think people who just generally carry should practice drawing with the gun they carry, but that's again my .02.

Finding the 'murican size CZ mags is different. I had to have a VA shop order them. But the Dulles expo gun show is this weekend IIRC, maybe worth a drive.

Any firearm used that has a manual safety or decocker must have the safety engaged and in the case of a decocker it will be engaged and the first round from these types of firearms will be the double action trigger pull. We don't care what you shoot but be advised that there is a reason that we don't have many who shoot a P226 or a 1911 in these competitions.

Not saying that you can't and have even seen some fast users of 1911s but the vast majority of guns used are striker fired. If you're comfortable and safe shooting a 226 or 1911 knock yourself out we'll have a great time.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Any firearm used that has a manual safety or decocker must have the safety engaged and in the case of a decocker it will be engaged and the first round from these types of firearms will be the double action trigger pull. We don't care what you shoot but be advised that there is a reason that we don't have many who shoot a P226 or a 1911 in these competitions.

Thanks, I am aware of that.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Only 15 slots left.

For those of you who are new to the action shooting sports the best piece of advice I can give you is to practice your draw. Empty firearm of course, strap on whichever holster you will be using, focus on a "target" about 5 yds away and with hands in the "surrender" position (both hands above the shoulders) practice drawing the firearm, getting a proper grip and sights on target. If you can have someone time you all the better, ideally this would take no more than 1.5 seconds.

After our conversation yesterday, I decided it was time to dust off the old Mantis X and practice my surrender stance, draw, grip and dry fire. I am glad I did because it was quite ugly. I tried the nanny nanny boo boo surrender with my support hand in front of my face and it instantly cut .20 - .25 off my time. It may look goofy, but I’m going to stick with it.

Attachments

• C9F65F0C-9558-4DBB-A70C-445534B44909.jpg
      C9F65F0C-9558-4DBB-A70C-445534B44909.jpg
      39.8 KB · Views: 153
    I just signed up (waitlisted) for production and have never done this before. I have artificial hips and a knee replacement on the way. Hence my not entering shoots that involve running.
    I will be shooting my VP9, but only own 3 mags- will this be an issue? I am GTG on the belt, holster and mag pouch. I passed the AGC holster quiz, but haven't gone live for certification yet.
    My goal is to not get disqualified.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I just signed up (waitlisted) for production and have never done this before. I have artificial hips and a knee replacement on the way. Hence my not entering shoots that involve running.
    I will be shooting my VP9, but only own 3 mags- will this be an issue? I am GTG on the belt, holster and mag pouch. I passed the AGC holster quiz, but haven't gone live for certification yet.

You should be good with 3 mags as long as they are standard capacity and you load them all the way up. There is only one stage where you have to move a bit. That may be a small challenge for you but you can certainly walk through it.

You are the second person on the waitlist. Undoubtedly, there will be numerous withdrawals between now and then. You should be GTG

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

:party29:

I'll bring a couple of VP9 mags for you to use for Justin. Justin Case.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    All 48 slots are now filled (plus 2 waitlisted). If you are late to the party, then please still register and you will be placed on the waitlist until someone withdraws.

If you are registered and find out that you can not make it, then please withdraw as soon as you determine that. Only those who register and no-show without withdrawing will be naughty listed.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Is this open to the public to watch? would like to come experience it as a guest before actually shooting it.

You may come and observe, however you must stay outside of the immediate shooting area. You should have no trouble observing each of the four stages.

Some else to keep in mind. Because we are shooting steel, you will need to wear Full Wrap around eye protection and hearing protection.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Is this open to the public to watch? would like to come experience it as a guest before actually shooting it.

You'll want to do it if you've never shot steel.

I've been to one of Delta's steel fun challenges, and with ~50 people, I think 4 stations and 3 strings at each station... it takes a lot of time to do. I think it was a little over 4 hours.

I guess I'm a bit stupid and was very unprepared how long it was going to take - I'm so used to just shooting steel on the farm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom