• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Whatever you do, talk to their parents (and them) about opening and starting their own IRA’s with 75% of whatever you pay them, preferably ROTH’s (50, 60-years from now they - and their heirs - will thank you like the bejeesus)!!!

WHAT??? Tell them you’ll only pay them by “direct deposit”? They want that jingle in their pocket. Depending on job I’d say $10-15/hr or better yet by the job.

EDA98

Dec 4, 2019
    Laurel MD
    I was a teenager not too long ago. I wouldn't pay by the hour if I were you. How much you are willing to pay is really up to you and how much it is worth for you to not be doing the yard work. What you can do is start out with saying one price and if they do good then give them a bit extra.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Whatever you do, talk to their parents (and them) about opening and starting their own IRA’s with 75% of whatever you pay them, preferably ROTH’s (50, 60-years from now they - and their heirs - will thank you like the bejeesus)!!!

Whomever is hiring them has no business telling them or their parents what to do with the money.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Depends on when you were cutting it. If it was 50 years ago like when I was a kid you did alright.

Pretty close, early 70's

Was she hot?

I'm pretty sure she was hot stuff, in the 40's

Did Ms Sarah like it when you “mowed her lawn???”

Hey what can I say, I knew how to be neighborly.

The ironic thing was I ended up buying her house when my wife and I got married. I told my wife one day that I used to get paid to cut this lawn and now I have to cut it for free!

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I needed yard work done and had an ambitious young man up the street eager to work. I paid him by the job, not by the hour. He is enthusiastic about his tasks and I treat him more than fairly, but I think i still save compared to commercial rates. We both make out. Frankly, he is one of the reasons I haven't lost hope in the next generation.

His younger sister is quite the scholar and athlete. Their parents have a photo, taken not that long ago, of the two "kids" (really late teens when the photo was taken) walking hand in hand down our street. Brother and sister really care for each other. It truly warms my heart.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    You have neighborhood kids that want to work? almost like finding a unicorn.

When I bought my house I expected to have neighborhood kids offering to shovel snow and cut the grass.

Nope. There's one guy who does lawns and shovels snow, and he's in his 40s I think.

I agree with paying by the job.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Suggestion was “talk to” not, “tell.”

Reading is your friend ... :thumbsup:

Again, it isn't your business how the kid spends the money he earns from you. If you try and run his life he is not going to work for you, just like businesses you interact with, they don't want you meddling in their financial affairs.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Set the price of the job. Tried to hire some youths at $15 an hour to dig holes. Work was to hard so they said no. Priced the job at $100 an two old guys had it done in three hours.

Mighty Joboo

Sep 15, 2020
    Honestly, age shouldn't matter when it comes to paying an honest wage. Just because they're teenagers doesn't me they should get shirked. I used to do lawn work as a teenager and I knew my worth. No way you'd see me landscaping for hours on end for $20. However, when I'd get properly paid, the customer would get a great service. And often I'd get a repeat customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom