Got my Handgun Permit - A Little Nervous...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cobol2Java

Feb 10, 2020
    Lothian
    So, my "Handgun Permit" (how they refer to the carry license here) arrived last week; heck, it only took 3 months. I went and purchased an Urban Carry G3 holster and wore it empty for a few days to let the leather soften. Then I carried it with my Ruger LC9s. Feels good, but...unloaded...

Why unloaded? I'm nervous. I know it's kind of stupid, but I have to wrap my head around the notion of carrying a loaded gun so close to my body. After all, carrying an unloaded gun makes no sense, right? Yet...the idea of a negligent discharge scares me...I've been watching these YouTube videos about negligent discharge, and worry if that could be me.

To make things worse, the weather over the last couple of weeks has prevented me from getting to the range so I can practice. I've been practicing my draw stroke at home and am eager to do so at the range.

One in the chamber or not...well, that's the next consideration, after I get past carrying a loaded firearm, LOL.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Safe holster and one in the chamber. The time it takes to rack the slide may be critical. Leave the gun alone. NDs happen almost exclusively when unholstering and re-holstering.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    If I was using that holster I would be nervous too.
    Get a safe holster that covers the trigger and you can carry with one in the chamber.
    It takes a lot of training and practice to learn to rack the slide fast enough (Israeli carry) to be effective in a self defense situation.
    With the holster you picked, you are already going to have a hard time deploying the firearm in a life or death situation.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I would take a close look at my signature and memorize those four rules of gun safety. That being said make sure that your holster covers the trigger when the gun is holstered. Treat that firearm with respect all the time because if you don't you could possibly end up with a negligent discharge. If you have children or if there will be children around please store it in a safe place preferably in a pistol of gun safe.
    I particularly don't place an importance on one in the chamber vs empty, I do emphasize an extensive and ongoing training program. You shouldn't be satisfied with how the instruction goes with pistol works.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    So, my "Handgun Permit" (how they refer to the carry license here) arrived last week; heck, it only took 3 months. I went and purchased an Urban Carry G3 holster and wore it empty for a few days to let the leather soften. Then I carried it with my Ruger LC9s. Feels good, but...unloaded...

Why unloaded? I'm nervous. I know it's kind of stupid, but I have to wrap my head around the notion of carrying a loaded gun so close to my body. After all, carrying an unloaded gun makes no sense, right? Yet...the idea of a negligent discharge scares me...I've been watching these YouTube videos about negligent discharge, and worry if that could be me.

To make things worse, the weather over the last couple of weeks has prevented me from getting to the range so I can practice. I've been practicing my draw stroke at home and am eager to do so at the range.

One in the chamber or not...well, that's the next consideration, after I get past carrying a loaded firearm, LOL.

Seems like a practice you would need to do 0000’s of times to get down to a reasonable timing and develop muscle memory. Good concealment holsters but they seem like deployment can be an issue, coupling that with Israeli carry and seconds are added that may not be available. If you have that much time you may not be in a situation where deploying the weapon is the best solution. Just my .02.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’ve carried with 1 in the chamber for 3 years. I have a pistol safe large enough that the gun and holster come off together, go in the safe and back on together. As long as I keep my finger off the trigger it won’t go off, but it’s a Glock.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I went through a variation of this. My first carry gun was a belt-and-suspenders Springfield XDe ... because as a hammer gun with a safety, I felt less likely to hurt myself or someone else knowing I'd have to thumb off a safety AND use a long, relatively heavy double action trigger pull to get that first shot off. That allowed a safer-seeming way to carry with one in the chamber. Then (and now) I used a rigid kydex holster inside the waistband, and spent time being sure I could clear it out from under various clothing options without feeling clumsy or dangerous. Likewise, RE-holstering.

Now? After years of carrying pretty much every time I step out of the house, I'm carrying a striker-fired gun with no safety (a Sig P365), because I've come to understand how safe such designs really are, if you keep your finger off the dang trigger until you mean it. Still goes in an IWB kydex holster. The same trigger discipline that keeps you safe at the range, while hunting, or under every other circumstance will serve you well in carrying, too. It Is The Way. Once you realize you're in charge of your own destiny by just being good about that (and having a holster that won't slip off your sturdy gun belt, and won't allow the pistol to just fall out), you're golden, confidence-wise. And it's something you can practice the hell out of in dry-firing mode. You really don't need to be at the range to get over that hurdle.

Here’s what goes out the door every day (with a spare mag in various modes depending on the situation):

Attachments

• BAFFCC56-B8C6-4E67-B540-8451721AA53C.jpg
      BAFFCC56-B8C6-4E67-B540-8451721AA53C.jpg
      104.9 KB · Views: 529

Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    Seems like a practice you would need to do 0000’s of times to get down to a reasonable timing and develop muscle memory. Good concealment holsters but they seem like deployment can be an issue, coupling that with Israeli carry and seconds are added that may not be available. If you have that much time you may not be in a situation where deploying the weapon is the best solution. Just my .02.

Would practice not solve these? Say for example someone does x amount of practice with the urban carry vs a similar amount with another holster. Will that not yield similar performance results?

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Would practice not solve these? Say for example someone does x amount of practice with the urban carry vs a similar amount with another holster. Will that not yield similar performance results?

The Urban carry holster by its very nature is extremely slow compared to any IWB or OWB holster. Add to it the stress imposed on your body during an real event and you are going to be even slower.
    The movement of your hand to a IWB/OWB holster is very natural. If one hand is injured or occupied, you can still use the other to deploy the handgun. The two handed unnatural movement needed to deploy the Urban carry is part of the problem. Now imagine using it while sitting, or if one hand is injured or occupied (defending/restraining/protecting a loved one/etc...).
    You just can’t practice that enough.
    I will admit before I knew better at a gun show I bought a similar holster. I keep it as a reminder the think before I buy.

I have never fired my gun in anger. Early on after getting my permit, I had to deploy my handgun while stopped in my car to not be car jacked (4 Baltimore cops were watching too). If I was using an urban carry style holster not sure how it would have ended.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

The videos I’ve seen of that holster look like a lot of practice and very specific apparel options were chosen. It’s a “to each their own” thing, just like the myriad of options of carry pistols out there. Whatever you carry the best advice I’ve ever heard is practice, practice, practice.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    For me I’m more of a pocket carry fan with a high quality proper holster to prevent printing or detection. I don’t want to think about my jacket or shirt lifting up and possibly revealing while reaching a jar of Prego in the grocery store or the like.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    To the OP and others in this thread who have carry permits, if you don’t mind sharing how did you qualify? I know self employment is common. I’m currently self employed as a software contractor but as far as I understand there’s nothing about my situation that would get me a permit. Seems like work would need to involve transporting equipment and/or cash.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    To the OP and others in this thread who have carry permits, if you don’t mind sharing how did you qualify? I know self employment is common. I’m currently self employed as a software contractor but as far as I understand there’s nothing about my situation that would get me a permit. Seems like work would need to involve transporting equipment and/or cash.

Maryland now allows business owners to carry. If you are self employed =business owner you should qualify.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    My understanding is that since I don’t handle cash or bank deposits, my circumstances wouldn’t count. I get direct deposits from my primary gig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom