• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Do you think a police service pistol like this is worth 475 bucks? I just don't know how many round fired through its barrel. I am tempted to pick it up at a LGS.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The Security-Six is a much missed revolver from Ruger...it's tough as nails and well-sized for its caliber. It's the revolver that Ruger used to kick S&W's butt in the police service revolver market. As already said...if in good mechanical condition it's a good buy.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    To not be in good condition it would have been neglected, abused and bubba’d. I shot the forcing cone out of mine three times and the timing never faultered. I did have a crane double detent lock added way back the first time the barrel was set back and recut.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I think it is collectible item. It is fun to have just like the old Ruger single six. Sure, there are millions of them out there but Ruger don't make those models anymore

boatme99

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2010
    Mid-Tenn.
    Yes! Jump on it.
    What barrel length, finish? Post pics when you can.
    I currently have a 2 3/4" stainless with original grips and a set of pachymers. It's one gun that won't be sold as long as I'm breathing.
    A blue 2 3/4 was my first carry gun back in the early 1980s. I made the mistake of selling it, it took me ages to find another to replace it.
    I think it would be nice to collect security six/speed six series.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Do you think a police service pistol like this is worth 475 bucks? I just don't know how many round fired through its barrel. I am tempted to pick it up at a LGS.
    Please if you get it, post photos. I personally think the Security-Six is a better gun than the GP100. If you get a good stainless version, the fact that the GP100 is a more robust gun won't matter. If the Security-Six is in good condition, the weight and balance will make it better than the GP100. First, it was made to take a steady diet of .357 loads. It wasn't like the S&W 19/66, to take .38 Spc most of the time and .357 for special uses. If you look at the cylinder, you'll see that the cylinder stops are all over the thicker parts the cylinder and not over the thinner parts. The forcing cones don't look any thicker than those on the S&W revolvers, but when shooting begins, they last far longer than those on S&Ws. It's fine that Ruger beefed up their forcing cones on the GP100s, but they went too far in putting steel where it doesn't need to be on a revolver.

I despise the underlugs that S&W and Ruger have put on their revolvers. I have two S&W 686s with 6-inch barrels, one a no-dash, and though these guns are superbly accurate, they are vastly more cumbersome than my 6-inch Security-Sixes which are vastly more comfortable to carry and use.

The Ruger Security-Six (right) and S&W 686.

The Ruger Security-Six cylinder with the stops and
    its star/ratchet. The Security-Six frame compared to
    that of the GP100 (inset), below.

--

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Years ago I had a Service Six and sold it. I've regretted it ever since. If I get a chance I'll grab another one (although I'll have to pay a lot more for it now)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    $475? If it was in good shape with nothing obviously wrong with it, like others have said, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat if one crossed my path.

boatme99

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2010
    Mid-Tenn.
    My Security six. 2 3/4"

Attachments

• DSCN0406.jpg
      DSCN0406.jpg
      108.7 KB · Views: 218
    • DSCN0402.jpg
      DSCN0402.jpg
      122 KB · Views: 221

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Nice collection. I'll post the picture once I get mine. It should be this weekend.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Nice. I love my security six. Great handgun to teach new shooters on. Very mild recoil with 38 special loads. The only thing I don’t like about mine is it’s a pre 151 serial # so I can’t find any aftermarket grips to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom