• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I have one 30-06 and two 223 Lee sizing dies that I can't get the decapping pin out of so I couldn't use the Hornady Stuck Case Remover even if I wanted to. I tried gripping it with a vice grip and pounding on it with a hammer and it still wouldn't come out.
    I'm gonna order another die tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    Did you try the freezer thing? I've never had one stuck that bad but have read that it works sometimes.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    If they are Lee dies, you do this:
    1) loosen the collet on the decapping pin/expander
    2) put the die in the press (if it isn’t already there)
    3) hit the top of the decapping pin to push the brass out
    4) ask Lee for a new decapping pin/expander

If that doesn’t work, send it to Lee and they’ll fix it for you.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    What lube are you using?

I had horrible problems with Hornady One Shot that led to me dumping it. It was very convenient, right up until it didn't work. :P Dillon lube has been great in comparison.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    There’s no way you can generate enough for with vice grips and you need to do it completely straight. Use the threads in the depriming due to pull the piece out. Grab a long socket and put it over the top of the die followed by a washer then a nut. Tighten the nut and this will pull the de primer out of the case. If the primer hole is still in tact do the same thing, drill and tap the hold then use a socket, screw (preferably hex head), and a washer. This will literally pull it with tons of force.

jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    Another method is to;

Saw base off where it meets die

Remove de-capping assembly

With a file or other sharp/hard tool scratch the hell out of the interior of case raising burrs all over

Mix up JB Weld it, place patch in neck of case and PACK JB into case until level with base.

Let cure several days

Put die back into press or vice , inset biggest punch that will fit through die and with a large ball peen whack away.

You may also while waiting for JB to harden use some penetrating applied to stem opening

This worked for me with a 30-06 stuck case.

From Reloading 1970's era book.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I just recently extracted a seized case and badly damaged decap/expand rod from a members hornady 308 die. I had to part the case head off, cut out the web, use tailstock to remove the rod, thread the inside of the case body, screw a threaded steel mandrel into the case, and use a hydraulic press to get the darn thing out. Worst one I have seen.

My suggestion at this point is to cut away the case head carefully (don't damage the die). If any web area remains, remove it with your case mouth debut tool. At this point the rod will come out. Remove it. Tap the inside of the case body with an appropriate size coarse thread tap. Make a spacer from appropriate size water pipe or other rigid tubing. Thread a bolt into the case through the spacer. Say your prayers. Tighten the bolt until the case comes out.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    A police dept. had their gun qualifications this weekend so I got a lot of 223, 40 S&W and 9MM brass. I went too fast with the 223 so this happened. I already have about 500 cases with primers in them so I'm in no hurry to solve this problem. I may just send the dies to Lee and see if they'll fix them for me.

I was just seeing if there was an easy way to get the pin out.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Drill, tap, bolt, a stack of washers.

For the future, buy and stick on the shelf the RCBS Stuck Case Remover. Easy, peasy

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I was just seeing if there was an easy way to get the pin out.

Completely Loosen the part that threads into top of the die and holds the pin/expander. Find a nut which fits on the threaded rod. Insert a deep socket over the assembly.place a washer and then a nut. tighten until the pin and expander pop out.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Completely Loosen the part that threads into top of the die and holds the pin/expander. Find a nut which fits on the threaded rod. Insert a deep socket over the assembly.place a washer and then a nut. tighten until the pin and expander pop out.

That doesn’t work on a Lee sizer because the pin and expander aren’t threaded and are held in by a collet. The correct way is to loosen the collet and beat the expander rod out with a big f#&@ing hammer.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why not just leave the die in place and just use the nuts, washer and bolt from the bottom to do the same thing. A whole lot simpler and they do make a thing called a ratchet wrench these days.:innocent0

How do you drill and tap the case with the die in the press?????

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    That doesn’t work on a Lee sizer because the pin and expander aren’t threaded and are held in by a collet. The correct way is to loosen the collet and beat the expander rod out with a big f#&@ing hammer.

Well then that stinks. Good info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom