• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    Stetting up the bench to load some .45 acp and have a question on the oal using a 230 grain FMJ-RN bullet. Starting with CFE pistol 6.5 gr. Ref. Hornady data and they list 1.210" another book says 1.250 for same bullet. both fit my mags. What am I missing here? appreciate your input. Thanks

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Stetting up the bench to load some .45 acp and have a question on the oal using a 230 grain FMJ-RN bullet. Starting with CFE pistol 6.5 gr. Ref. Hornady data and they list 1.210" another book says 1.250 for same bullet. both fit my mags. What am I missing here? appreciate your input. Thanks

Nothing. That’s what each of their test data is based on. SAMMI has a max and a min spec. Anything within that range should work fine.

Should.

Seat a bullet in an empty case (ideally 2-3) and run each through the magazine and gun and make sure it cycles them fine. If it doesn’t cycle one fine, don’t load it to that length.

Shorter lengths with the exact same charge will lead to higher peak pressures. Generally that means for the same powder you get more velocity. Of course you don’t want to be over max pressure.

All things are a trade-off.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Nothing. That’s what each of their test data is based on. SAMMI has a max and a min spec. Anything within that range should work fine.

Should.

Seat a bullet in an empty case (ideally 2-3) and run each through the magazine and gun and make sure it cycles them fine. If it doesn’t cycle one fine, don’t load it to that length.

Shorter lengths with the exact same charge will lead to higher peak pressures. Generally that means for the same powder you get more velocity. Of course you don’t want to be over max pressure.

All things are a trade-off.

Lazarus is right on. Anything between 1.21 and 1.25 should be fine- depending on your particular bullet and handgun. I load all mine to 1.25 in both my 1911s and they run fine. Look up the “plunk test”. A dummy round should “plunk” easily into the chamber of the barrel. Loading 45s is really easy. Watch for pressure as always. Pressure really shouldn’t be an issue with a large pistol primer, a COL in that range and a powder charge for your grain of projectile in any loading manual. You can PM me for recipes if you’re lost, but I’ve always found accuracy and reliability at a near max load of W231 or titegroup. Good luck!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Is it actually the same bullet? The shape may be different.

Plunk test will tell you.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I load some of my .45ACP out to 1.267". It just depends on the bullet. The max is 1.275". Go with your load data, but make sure your components match the data (or are reasonably close). I think it's good to check multiple sources. The problem you have is that CFE pistol is a bit lean on published .45acp load data. I like that powder more for 9mm.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    Just remember, the deeper you set the bullet the higher pressure will be. A few .010's is not going to make a lot of difference until you are close to max loads.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I load some of my .45ACP out to 1.267". It just depends on the bullet. The max is 1.275". Go with your load data, but make sure your components match the data (or are reasonably close). I think it's good to check multiple sources. The problem you have is that CFE pistol is a bit lean on published .45acp load data. I like that powder more for 9mm.

It works really well for me for a max load 230gr XTP. Gets me 880fps out of my G21, very consistent velocities and good grouping. Since it is a medium powder I could probably up it 2-3 tenths and squeeze out 950fps for a +p without too many issues.

Though I don’t like going over published load data even if my gun is rated +p or +p+

What I really don’t like CFE pistol for are plinking loads. I’ve yet to find a load that burned consistently with it loaded light. For my 230s FMJ loading it down around 750fps and my SDs are like 30fps. BE with similar velocities and I am usually around 10-15fps. Heck I’ve got a 680fps load that just cycles my G21 (.2gr lighter and it won’t) and it’s still very consistent.

I see the same story with 9mm. Load CFE pistol warm to hot and it works great. Mild and not so bueno. Maybe I need a bit more crimp or something.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As noted , are they EXACTLY the same bullet ? There are significant differences in nose shape and ogive between various 230 FMJ . Different 230 FMJ can have different OAL for identical space taken up inside the case .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom