• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I was shooting one of my 380 ACP handguns this weekend. Compared to the 9MM and 40 S&W guns I was using the 380 seemed kind of puny.

How effective is the 380 as a Concealed carry gun. Could it stop an attacker?

Major03

Ultimate Member
    well, a .22LR COULD stop an attacker if your shot placement was perfect and/or they had a low constitution. So, I think the question isn't if it COULD stop an attacker...the question is probably more along the lines of is it YOUR best choice of round for what you expect it to be able to perform to?

For me, I'd say that if you can't consistently hit targets with a 9MM, .40, 10MM or .45...but you can with a .380 ACP...then maybe it's a better choice for a defensive firearm. If you can't hit a target, then all the extra terminal ballistics behind the cartridge is just going through the wall next to / behind your target. .380's have also traditionally made for very concealable and light weight handguns, but with 9mm micro's being what they are now, my personal choice would be to go with a 9mm.

I went with a SigP365 and find it very manageable.

Just one guy's opinion. Admittedly, I'm not a handgun expert.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I was shooting one of my 380 ACP handguns this weekend. Compared to the 9MM and 40 S&W guns I was using the 380 seemed kind of puny.

Only you can be the judge on what your situation is and the trade-offs you're willing to accept with .380 relative to more powerful cartridges. Plenty of comparative data out there and plenty of .380s in circulation as carry guns.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/380-acp-the-biggest-little-caliber/

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Better than .22.

Better than birdshot.

Much better than paintball. :)

I was going to follow up these wisecracks with some remarks about it being a tradeoff, and about how effective you are with it vs a larger caliber, and about a .380 that you carry being better than a .45 you decided to leave home the one time you needed it because it was a PITA to carry.

The previous posters covered most of that pretty well already.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    As I recall from the old (and hotly debated) Marshall and Sanow "One Shot Stop" study, .380 ACP was the smallest caliber which could be considered "fairly effective" (greater than 70% probability of a one shot stop). But it's effectiveness was even more highly dependent on the exact ammo used than larger calibers, i.e. Cor Bons and Hydra Shoks worked pretty well, but nothing else much did.

Of course bullet technology has improved since then.

I shoot and would carry a .380 pocket pistol with one of these premium defensive rounds (if I didn't live in MD). Because of the short barrel/sight radius I consider it mostly a "7 yards or less" proposition.

For anything other than a pocket pistol I would go with a 9mm or .45 acp since ammo is cheaper and there are more choices.

Last edited:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    As I recall from the old (and hotly debated) Marshall and Sanow "One Shot Stop" study, .380 ACP was the smallest caliber which could be considered "fairly effective" (greater than 70% probability of a one shot stop). But it's effectiveness was even more highly dependent on the exact ammo used than larger calibers, i.e. Cor Bons and Hydra Shoks worked pretty well, but nothing else much did.

Of course bullet technology has improved since then.

I shoot and would carry a .380 pocket pistol with one of these premium defensive rounds (if I didn't live in MD). Because of the short barrel/sight radius I consider it mostly a "7 yards or less" proposition.

For anything other than a pocket pistol I would go with a 9mm or .45 acp since ammo is cheaper and there are more choices.

Maybe the 380 would be best suited for an ankle carry weapon. Last resort for a close-in shot.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Even as a .380 detractor , I have to admit they can be accurate beyond 7yds . From the bench , my .380 Backup ( model name) could keep head sized group @ 25yds .

.380 is the prime example of being ammo dependent , typically being exactly on the ragged edge of expand vs not expand vs expand Too much . Bbl length differences can yield all three results from same load, from different guns . Hence all of this what a significant % of users will default to FMJ on purpose .

During the early years of Modern Shall Issue Era , aka circa 1990 , relatively large double stack .380 had a very large following as a ideal carry gun , as being high capacity , yet smaller than most 9x19 pistols of the day .

But time and technology have marched on . We now have a plethora of subcompact polymer 9mm similar or smaller than 1990 era .380's . 380's new market niche is in very small and light micro pistols , little bigger than large- ish .25acp .

Historically in gun 'zines one of the staple cliches was " .380 vs .38spl Small Frame Snub " . Despite the cliche- ness , that actually is a worthwhile comparison . (I have my strong opinions on that , but that debate is as much about Revolver vs Semiauto as between the cartridges .)

* To Me * in recent decades, Subcompact 9mm is a fine option , and if I want smaller , I'm going more smaller- er than .380 .

Is .380 " better" than slingshot , BB guns, Airsoft, Paintball , .22lr , etc ? Yup. Better than . 32acp ? I and others can give a spirited debate .

Is .380 " good enough " for stand alone primary pistol ? Debates rage to this day .

Is .380 " better " than a J Frame * For You * ? Only you can decide .

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    380 beats the crap out not having anything.
    My carry was a 380 for years.
    Chances are, god forbid, if you have to use, you wont know the difference anyway. Go with what you feel comfortable with. Also make sure you can get ammo.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Geoffrey Boothroyd recommended the 7.65mm to Flemming as a significant upgrade from Bonds previous 6.35mm .

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Closest in my collection is 9x18mm Makarov which has a little more power and mass than the .380. With the right ammunition, it is an excellent choice for concealable self defense. The same should be true for .380s.

If you carry, ammunition selection is very important regardless of the caliber. Smaller guns designed for concealed carry, are often limited in the number of rounds that the magazine will hold. Shot placement is critical in all gun fights, but more so with small caliber arms. If you choose to carry one of them, you should be very proficient when shooting it.

Since my groupings are very good with the 9x18Maks(mostly because of the excellent triggers on them), I have no hesitation selecting it for carry.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I have a 380 in my pocket all the time , All year round especially in the summer with shorts , In the cooler months with long pants it's still in my pocket but I have a Glock 19 or 43 in a IWB holster . For a get off me gun I feel very well armed with a 380 .

Scott P

Funny...like a clown
    Jan 29, 2013
    St. Mary's
    I just happened to be doing 380 ammo research last week. Anything that uses a Horny XTP is a safe bet. It meets the FBI 12" penetration and achieves full expansion. The new Hydra Shok "deep" may be better.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    380 is pretty much the minimum round that can meet the old 12" gel penetration standard in short barrels, definitely with FMJ, and even a couple expanding bullets. Problem is you only have around 1/2 the power of 9x19, so many expanding bullets don't penetrate sufficiently, and if you add barriers, heavy clothing etc, even 380FMJ might not penetrate sufficiently. There is also the issue of a small gun with snappy recoil, low capacity, and often less than perfect reliability. I have used one or another for summer pocket carry for many years. Currently a Kahr CW380 in a minimalist pocket holster, 5"x4"x3/4" and 10oz unloaded it's about as small as an effective caliber can be, good sights, good reliability with my hornady XTP load of choice, and relatively accurate and easy to shoot. Vast majority of the time I carry a P365 in 9mm, but the little CW380 is so much easier to carry in shorts, and when running or hiking, the alternative is really just going without, or off-body carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom