• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    Accuforge should have Laser Engraving capability (30w Fiber Laser) within the next month or so (shipping time, setup time, & learning curve). I'm an FFL-07 + SOT and am thinking about doing while-you-wait engraving during evenings and weekends in Odenton, MD. How much demand would there be for this service?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    You'd have more demand assured if you'd do more than just NFA

Is a laser engraver the proper tool if, for example, someone was building a clone AR from an 80% receiver and wanted to reproduce the markings an original rifle would have had?

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I'm getting one of the 30w "raycus" ones from a US seller. Seems to be one of the more solid / supported 30w models without being ridiculously priced. Planning to install a rotary axis that I already have.

I was thinking about getting one myself.. since it's pretty much inevitable that the ATF is going to require all barrels and 80% as well as all upper receivers ingraved with serial number there's going to be a large demand from gun owners who wish to comply with such nonsense. There will be a ton of them

Wangbadan

Big Wang
    Jul 15, 2021
    I would be interested in this service, if for nothing else to avoid being a felon soon!

-big Wang

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I got the laser and have been doing some test marking.

Not a very exciting video but it shows what it can do.

This is it with a rotary axis attachment. I'm doing some test marking for my 1st Form 2 Suppressor design (hope to have this done in the coming weeks).
    https://youtu.be/zL4agXpHwWc

Performance is very promising but I'm not ready to be engraving family heirlooms yet ;) It needs a couple dozen test runs before I trust it enough to be solid. I do have it running on a UPS just in case there is a power outage / glitch.

If someone is local and wants to help test this on an 80% or other aluminum / steel object, I'd be willing to give it a go. Flat objects seem to be much more forgiving in the settings.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    That's about 0.012-0.015 " deep. I wanted to make sure it's deep enough that it doesn't get filled in when I Duracoat it. I'm probably going to infil it after that.

It's pretty quick to get 0.005" (ATF needs 0.003" which is pretty easy) but takes several more passes to get deep.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom