• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    I'm looking to get into the long range shooting game. If I could get some input on caliber you guys prefer and why. I've been asking around when I go places and I've heard all kinds of opinions from 6.5 Creedmoor to 338 Lapua and everything you could think of. Normally its what the have hanging on the wall ironically. Thank you guys in advance because I value your unbias opinions.

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    Factory ammo and as far as distance I'd be happy with getting out to 500 yards at Peacemaker. I'd love the ability to take it to 1,000 yds given the ability to find a range to that distance.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Inside of 1k yards, 308 and 6.5 creedmoor are the two most popular. The 6.5 will have less recoil. Both are great for factory ammo availability.

If you want a challenge, 223 can make it out to 1k yards but impacts are difficult to spot.

I would not recommend a 338 or similar as the recoil will likely give you bad habits and its totally unnecessary for out to 1k yards.

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    Just plink. I was speaking with someone yesterday and they recommended 300 PRC. Also any suggestions on weapon brand ? I know this isn't going to be a cheap endeavor. I'm a firm believer in the buy once cry once mindset.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    300prc will be expensive to feed factory ammo and is capable way past 1k.Peacemaker goes out to 1k on the big range and 300yds on the smaller one. I would stick to 6.5creedmoore or 308 if running factory ammo. You will want to buy a few hundred rounds of the same lot # once you find what it likes. For factory rifles a Ruger precision or one of the savage chassis models are hard to beat.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For 500- ish , you have more viable options than you can shake a stick . For 1,000 & up good choices get smaller . Good choices with readily available factory ammo smaller still .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree with the advice of .308 or 6.5CM for under 1000 yards.

.338 makes no sense UNDER 1000 yards. Same with .50 cal.

.308 is hard to beat for factory ammo availability. If you are not going to reload, look closely at availability of ammo. A buddy had a rifle made in one of the short magnums. He has to order custom ammo, with long lead times and high prices.

As for the rifle, what are you looking to spend? I was looking at building a .300 WM to compliment my .308 (Rem 700 based). Over on Sniper's Hide, the consensus was, buy a Sako TRG-42 versus building.

My build would have been a custom 700 action (Stiller, Klebly, or Sturgeon), Lilja barrel, Manners T-4A, Timney trigger, Vortex Razor Gen II, and a brake/mount for my ThunderBeast CB9.

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    From What I've seen looking around I think I could find a competent firearm in the 2-3K range. The Sig Sauer Cross would be on the low end of what I've been looking at and if I wanted to go over that range it seems the Barrett MRAD can come in most long range calibers.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    From What I've seen looking around I think I could find a competent firearm in the 2-3K range. The Sig Sauer Cross would be on the low end of what I've been looking at and if I wanted to go over that range it seems the Barrett MRAD can come in most long range calibers.

Doesn't the cross have an 18" bbl? It would still be doable but your going to sacrifice some speed more so in creedmoore than 308. I've reached out to 1k with a 20" 308 but it took fine tuned handloads running at higher pressure then you will ever see in a factory load.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Are you including glass in that 2 to 3 k price? Are you looking for a stock or a chassis? Single stage or two stage trigger?

As for recommendations, for a bone stock rifle, Tikkas are really nice. The T3X CTR is a great rifle in a stock and the T3X TAC A1 is a nice chassis set up. Best value is either a ruger precision rifle or a Howa set up. If you want to spend a little more, look at the PRS production class rifles. They are 2500 and have a lot of nice features for the money.

If you arent sure of things, I would try to handle various rifles and see how they feel. Your comfort and how things feel to you will help dictate what you get.

If you want to try my rifle that I built, I am not far from you.

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    Doesn't the cross have an 18" bbl? It would still be doable but your going to sacrifice some speed more so in creedmoore than 308. I've reached out to 1k with a 20" 308 but it took fine tuned handloads running at higher pressure then you will ever see in a factory load.

Yes the Cross is only a 18" barrel

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    Are you including glass in that 2 to 3 k price? Are you looking for a stock or a chassis? Single stage or two stage trigger?

As for recommendations, for a bone stock rifle, Tikkas are really nice. The T3X CTR is a great rifle in a stock and the T3X TAC A1 is a nice chassis set up. Best value is either a ruger precision rifle or a Howa set up. If you want to spend a little more, look at the PRS production class rifles. They are 2500 and have a lot of nice features for the money.

If you arent sure of things, I would try to handle various rifles and see how they feel. Your comfort and how things feel to you will help dictate what you get.

If you want to try my rifle that I built, I am not far from you.

Just the firearm, I know I'll probably be spending another 1-2K at least on the optic plus bipod etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom