• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    So I’ve decided to build a new deer blind. I have built several fully closed blinds over the years, my last was a 3x4 with heat. It was a leaner style and is 12 years old. It spoiled me, so I’m ready to build a new one only better. I’m probably going to build it on masons scaffold and doing a 4x6. I only hunt with gun or crossbow. It will be about 14’ high. Has anyone built one on scaffolding before.
    I’ll probably use plexiglass to make windows.

Looking for ideas I haven’t thought of.

For those who say F a closed stand and climb a tree, I have paid my dues for 40 years, so save it.:)

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    This is the one I am retiring. Killed over 30 deer out of it.

D15421D6-53A8-44AA-ACBE-22D253D0B5BF.jpeg

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Wow, lots of memories and kills out of that one! And 12 years?? You built it right!

I figure luck played a big part of its longevity. Leaners are very dependent on the tree the stand is leaning on, this tree treated me well! The first pic was from 2009, the second was taken tonight.

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    I’ve learned from my mistake not once, but twice. While corrugated metal makes a great long lasting roof. It provides a great nesting and hiding area for bugs and wasps. They will be up In between the groves and wood. Cold mornings will look great until the sun begins to hit the metal, warming it up and waking them f**king bastards up… treestands are like garages. They can never be to big. 4x6 is a good size. Comfortable for up to 2 adults. Paint both inside and outside of stand with an exterior paint. Keep the inside a lighter color down low. Believe me it will help in low light conditions.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I’ve learned from my mistake not once, but twice. While corrugated metal makes a great long lasting roof. It provides a great nesting and hiding area for bugs and wasps. They will be up In between the groves and wood. Cold mornings will look great until the sun begins to hit the metal, warming it up and waking them f**king bastards up… treestands are like garages. They can never be to big. 4x6 is a good size. Comfortable for up to 2 adults. Paint both inside and outside of stand with an exterior paint. Keep the inside a lighter color down low. Believe me it will help in low light conditions.

I spray foam all the cracks. Some stuff still crawled in the window gaps but i basically used the wood cutout as opening vs a window. It hinged to the inside.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    What is the benefit of masons scaffold over PT 4x4 posts, either sunk into the ground or sitting on a footer? I dont see the scaffold staying level and stable for a decade and it will cost triple what some wood would cost.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    What is the benefit of masons scaffold over PT 4x4 posts, either sunk into the ground or sitting on a footer? I dont see the scaffold staying level and stable for a decade and it will cost triple what some wood would cost.

I have masons scaffold laying around. It will have screw jacks sitting on sold blocks. If a leg settles, I can just screw the screw jack up until level again.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I am currently trying to retrofit a Terrain "The Range" 5 sided blind to fit my needs. Ordered replacement widows because I didn't care for how the standard windows folded down, added 2x3s in the corners to stiffen the walls and now gonna build a platform on it on an old 4x8 utility trailer. Should get the floor about 3ft off the ground and it will be portable.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Checked and worked on my behind the house ladder stand a few weeks ago. Added the camo wrap. Nice for quick hunts.

Attachments

• BB100164-7E77-4B34-85CA-2AA416624D7A.jpg
      BB100164-7E77-4B34-85CA-2AA416624D7A.jpg
      183 KB · Views: 293

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Dont overlook the possibility of manufactured blinds.
    Because of the cost of wood products and the expense of blinds a happy medium can be found if your patient and can work a good hustle with a motivated seller.
    We picked this up from Kelly/s outdoors in Millsboro and just built a base for it back in the woods during early summer.
    It was a pain getting it all back there but unless a tree falls on it I don't plan to move it unless theirs an apparent advantage to viewing the cut over woods behind it.

woodsstand.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Some of these treestands, I'd probably do more sleeping than hunting. There have been times I wished for one though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom