• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    Looking for suggestions on a decent 2 person tent. Nothing too expensive please, I have outdoor experience, camping with RV experience, but not tent camping. Looking for something good at keeping you dry.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Important question #1 - Serious backpacking , or within 5 minute walk of car/ truck ?

Important question #2 - Do you have a prefered style in mind ?

#3 A - Occasional weekend , or near continous use ?

#3B - Price Range ?

#3 C -Your religious commitment to either one of : Buy Once , Cry Once vs Eh , if you actually wear it out in a cpl years , you got your money's worth , and then replace it .

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    Something advertised as being Three Person . ( not a joke )

This ∆∆∆

If car camping, always go bigger. A 2 person tent is super cozy... Almost too small for 2 adults.. a 3 person is really a 2 person tent with elbow room.

Op, unless I missed it, you didn't specify what season you'll be camping. Tents usually come 3season or 4season (for cold weather camping). The difference is the 3 season, has mesh windows under the fly for great ventilation and the 4season has zippered covers for the windows.

I took a 3 season tent to Coopers Rock, WV in May 2016 and woke up to snow. Shortly thereafter got a 4 season tent.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Something advertised as being Three Person . ( not a joke )
    100%

I bought a Kelty 4-person tent back in the day from REI in College Park. It was advertised as 2-adults, 2-children, but realistically it's 2-adults plus gear.

If they have a floor model, ask to take it down and re-assemble it. I did that, much to the amusement of the sales guy. My reasoning was "I need to be able to do this in the dark." I got about halfway through the disassembly, and we started to draw an audience. To his credit, the sales guy started being more supportive, realizing that he had a bunch of potential sales. Spent maybe 20-minutes fussing with the floor model, then bought one on the spot. I ended up fielding a couple of questions from the onlookers, and I'm pretty certain at least two more people bought the tent after my ad-hoc demo.

Seems they've moved to the dome-types. Mine is an a-frame. Lemme see if i can find a photo ... Kelty Canyon Ridge, made in 2-person or 4-person sizes.

Also, look for one that has a vestibule option (or a suitable structure to make one out of a blue poly tarp.) It's nice to keep wet and dirty stuff protected but outside the living quarters. I hook a tarp to the forward a-frame under the rain fly, then stake it to the ground making a lean-to shelter for muddy boots, wet jackets, etc.

Attachments

• Kelty-Canyon-Ridge-4-Gray-Size-4-Person-Camping.jpg
      Kelty-Canyon-Ridge-4-Gray-Size-4-Person-Camping.jpg
      28.3 KB · Views: 412
    • Kelty-Canyon-Ridge-4-Gray-Size-4-Person-Camping-_1.jpg
      Kelty-Canyon-Ridge-4-Gray-Size-4-Person-Camping-_1.jpg
      29.5 KB · Views: 441

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Linked below is my two man tent. No longer made, so look at the dimensions and select something similar.
    It's larger than a standard two man, but not a three man. Large enough for my dad and I to comfortably use. One very nice feature is nearly vertical sides. Previous tent had sloped sides and only allowed one of us to sit up at once. No good.
    The larger the tent, the more weight you are carrying and the harder it is to pitch in the backcountry.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/864810/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-t2-plus-tent

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I've been happy with Eureka! Timberland tents. 2 person for backpacking or 4 person for car camping. They're kind of old school, e.g. aluminum poles vice carbon fiber, but not too heavy and they hold up well.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Eureka Timberline. Awesome tough tents. Super easy to set up. Been using the same one since the 80's, and eventually picked up a four man for the family when paddling the boundary waters.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I've been happy with Eureka! Timberland tents. 2 person for backpacking or 4 person for car camping. They're kind of old school, e.g. aluminum poles vice carbon fiber, but not too heavy and they hold up well.

Eureka Timberline. Awesome tough tents. Super easy to set up. Been using the same one since the 80's, and eventually picked up a four man for the family when paddling the boundary waters.

Was just coming here to post this very thing. The 4 man Eureka Timberline is a phenomenal tent. We used and abused the hell out of these when I was in scouts with monthly camping trips. The 4 man realistically sleeps three with gear. It's a little heavy with its thick aluminum frame, but very durable. No frills, bells or whistles. Two people can easily assemble it in 5 -10 minutes.

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/backpacking/timberline®-4-person-tent

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Chalk up another satisfied Eureka Timberline guy for an inexpensive option and a quality experience. It's not a super light trek all day tent-- therefore it only costs half as much but will last a good long time with proper care and storage. Yes-- when placed, assembled, staked and used correctly it will keep you plenty dry.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Linked below is my two man tent. No longer made, so look at the dimensions and select something similar.
    It's larger than a standard two man, but not a three man. Large enough for my dad and I to comfortably use. One very nice feature is nearly vertical sides. Previous tent had sloped sides and only allowed one of us to sit up at once. No good.
    The larger the tent, the more weight you are carrying and the harder it is to pitch in the backcountry.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/864810/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-t2-plus-tent

I also have a REI quarter dome as my primary tent, and would recommend it if it were still in production. It is rated as a 2-person tent, and I used it backpacking on week+ trips with myself and a sibling. Internal space was just enough for 2 sleeping bags side-by-side, but it was workable with 2 people since it had doors on both sides, and both doors had a vestibule area big enough to have a backpack and pair of boots under cover.

So, for 2 people and their backpacks/gear inside the tent, a 3-4 person tent is required. However, depending on vestibules to put gear in, you might be able to get away with something smaller.

As mentioned by others, if you are out in the cold of winter, then a 4-season tent. However, for the rest of the year a 3-season tent will be lighter and breathe better. Good ventilation means your breath moisture overnight will not condensate on the tent inside ceiling, then fall back down on you. I used my 3-season tent out in snow, since it was not bitterly cold weather, and the rain fly went down to near (couple inches) of the ground. After clearing a spot for the tent, the bottom of the rain fly was under the surface level of the snow, so there was no cold draft blowing up underneath.

If your campsite is being reached by car or short hike, then you can afford the luxury to go with a larger / heavier / tougher tent. If you are carrying gear long distance, then you will want to reduce size and weight.

Was just coming here to post this very thing. The 4 man Eureka Timberline is a phenomenal tent. We used and abused the hell out of these when I was in scouts with monthly camping trips. The 4 man realistically sleeps three with gear. It's a little heavy with its thick aluminum frame, but very durable. No frills, bells or whistles. Two people can easily assemble it in 5 -10 minutes.

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/backpacking/timberline®-4-person-tent

I just looked this up, and the design is exactly the same as when my boy scout troop used these in the 90's. Same impression, tough enough that rambunctious boys didn't destroy them, and simple enough that boys of dubious attention span could reliable set them up without too much fuss.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I have a six perso tent that is good for three people to sleep . Like others have said if you are not hiking in with the tent then get a bigger tent if tailgate camping.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I've been happy with Eureka!

yeah our first was an eureka. two weeks in yellowstone/rockies/tetons; two weeks in algonquin provincial park; vacations in upstate NY; weeks and weeks in western carolina, blue ridge parkway; ditto for blackwater falls/canaan valley. held up great. we got a tarp and put in on the inside floor. then another tarp for outside floor. three person as noted is really two plus some gear and/or the dog. we only car-camped never backpacked.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Over the years I've had several Eureka Timberline tents. Popular with the Boy Scouts, so figure that for a testimonial. Use the fly and keep it tight. You will need a "ground cloth". Plastic sheets painters use is fine. Cut it large and tuck the edges under the tent by rolling it down and under until you can't see it and it shouldn't collect rain. I miss it, since having to have a CPAP machine on all night. I try not to think about it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Waaaaay back in the day , when the BSA Troop camped minimum of once/ month year round , when making the change from either the BSA Canvas tents or Dad's WWII surplus gear , I thought the newfangled ( nylon , rain fly , with flow thru main body ) was the greatest thing since sliced bread , for Deep Winter camping !

No longer was the inside of the tent drippng water from the condensation . Even at sub zero , you want ventilation . The sleeping bag is what keeps you warm . You just want the inside of the tent to Do No Harm . And when any part of your body or gear touched anywhere on the tent and became sopping wet , that's a distinct negative .

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I miss it, since having to have a CPAP machine on all night. I try not to think about it.

Just went camping a few weeks ago in Green Ridge. Used a 12 volt battery & an inverter to power my bipap machine with no problems.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    yeah our first was an eureka. two weeks in yellowstone/rockies/tetons; two weeks in algonquin provincial park; vacations in upstate NY; weeks and weeks in western carolina, blue ridge parkway; ditto for blackwater falls/canaan valley. held up great. we got a tarp and put in on the inside floor. then another tarp for outside floor. three person as noted is really two plus some gear and/or the dog. we only car-camped never backpacked.

This^^^

I cut a 20 or 30 mil sheet of plastic that goes inside and another that goes outside. The outside one should be smaller than the footprint of the tent so it doesn't collect and pool water.

One of the unique 'features' I like about the timberline is the next morning, you take all your crap out, and pick the whole thing up on end to dump the dirt out.

I also like that there is no need to 'thread' poles through anything. Just set up the frame and pick up the two loops to lift the tent up to the frame.

If you're backpacking, especially in the winter, the vestibule is really nice to crawl under and take gear off/store dirty gear without hauling it in the tent. Tow man timberline is a true two man. No extra space (unless you have the vestibule), but fits two people well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom