• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    If you grew up in the Springfield/Franconia/Alexandria area back in the 70's or early 80's and rode dirtbikes, this might bring back some memories.

Here is a short documentary that was released yesterday.

The Gravel Pits: Before there was Kingstowne

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Oh, yeah! Been to the Pits numerous times, lived in the Woodlawn area in the 70's, Orville St., and we traveled through the part of Belvoir that went to Hayfield Road and would jump across the road. I had a mini-bike at the time.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Just watched the whole thing. Brought back memories of the guys around me that had bikes. I actually have an 82 YZ100 out in the barn that would fit perfectly in that video...

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Oakton....81. But I did ride a a few times on a 90 acre property at Tysons back in the late 70's. The family eventually sold it for something like $6M.

I grew up thinking I was going to Oakton, and they switched the boundaries when I was in 8th grade. None were too happy to have to go to Madison.

Yeah - that's probably what the local kids referred to the pits at Tysons. I think it became Tysons II. Kids also used to ride off Nutley, in between it and Nottingham park more or less. That is until they built townhouses there. I used to deliver papers to those town houses when I was 11. Made a lot of money off that route!

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    That video brings back memories. Never got to ride there but I rode a bunch of those era bikes. Closest I got to that area was Burtonsville near 95, before they chased you out.
    Started with a 72 Honda SL70. Dad rode Bultaco's and Husqvarna's in addition to Honda and Yamaha's. Knew I was growing up when he left me ride the big bikes !!

MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020
    That video brings back memories. Never got to ride there but I rode a bunch of those era bikes. Closest I got to that area was Burtonsville near 95, before they chased you out.
    Started with a 72 Honda SL70. Dad rode Bultaco's and Husqvarna's in addition to Honda and Yamaha's. Knew I was growing up when he left me ride the big bikes !!
    I used to ride in Burtonsville alot in the early 80s. Always parked at the power lines on Old Gunpowder road. Never had any issues with Law enforcement.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I used to ride in Burtonsville alot in the early 80s. Always parked at the power lines on Old Gunpowder road. Never had any issues with Law enforcement.

Probably where Cross Creek Golf Course is now? And the rest of the undeveloped land on the other side of OGP Road to Interstate 95. I know some guys that grew up on Gould owned property (Konterra) out there.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I grew up thinking I was going to Oakton, and they switched the boundaries when I was in 8th grade. None were too happy to have to go to Madison.

Yeah - that's probably what the local kids referred to the pits at Tysons. I think it became Tysons II. Kids also used to ride off Nutley, in between it and Nottingham park more or less. That is until they built townhouses there. I used to deliver papers to those town houses when I was 11. Made a lot of money off that route!

My condolences for you having to attend Madison. :) Although I do have a number of friends and business associates that graduated.....and they all turned out OK.

I sent the video link to one of my civil engineering friends who has done a lot of work for us at Kingstowne. Turns out he used to ride at the Tysons Pits back in the 80's. Small word.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    My condolences for you having to attend Madison. :) Although I do have a number of friends and business associates that graduated.....and they all turned out OK.

I sent the video link to one of my civil engineering friends who has done a lot of work for us at Kingstowne. Turns out he used to ride at the Tysons Pits back in the 80's. Small word.

Cool! Man I wish I had been been around ro ride in the 70's/80's. Seems like such great time back then.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh

If I remember correctly, it was Park Service staff. Dad was an enduro/hare scrambles racer, so we covered a lot of ground. We didn't just stay in the open areas, he loved the tight wooded trails.

When we rode in PA ( Tower City or Michaux State forest )), it was easy to travel 100-150 miles of trails and rocky powerlines in a day.

We used to park in Cockeysville and ride the railway bed that became the NCR trail to Shrewsbury. Then trail ride up there with his riding buddies before making the return run back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom