• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 13, 2005
    Sitting here enjoying a beautiful day shooting a Mosin 91\30. The iron sights are nice and dark black and contrast light targets very well, but unfortunately, most of the day my steel targets I shoot at are in a thick wooded area covered in shade. I throw some orange paint on the targets, but that doesn't last to long as much as I shoot them (with mostly 22lr) so I don't particularly want to walk down and paint them 5x a day.

I have put various types of high visibility paints on other iron sights of non collectable modern guns and that works well, but I don't particularly want to paint the sights on my milsurp rifles. Also don't want to replace or modify sights with aftermarket things.

So question is: does any one have a non destructive or fairly noninvasive way to make the sights pop out better without modifying the mosin?

A couple initial thoughtswhile I stare downrange were high visibility tapes, but not sure about tape residues affecting finish or moving around as metal heats up, or a colorful synthetic sleeve of nylon or something, but that might make the front post too big.

I know the mosin isn't at the top of the milsurp collector list, but this one is prolly around a $500 example, also would like this same solution for other more valuable milsurps u shoot as well.

Thanks for the thoughts in advance.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Soot them black with candle black or carbide.
    The flat dull appearance will stand out against your brightly colored targets as the target is being framed.
    You should be focusing on and seeing your front sight clearly.
    In dim light,picking up the target becomes more difficult even with optics.
    Once you have the correct sight picture embedded in your mind's eye, don't pull the trigger until sight alignment is correct.
    I have the same problem at the 300yd butts at the range when the sun gets past center.
    Make sure your sights are filed/dressed so they're clean, sharp and flat depending on how they are constructed.
    Using a six o'clock hold can be helpful too.

May 13, 2005
    Soot them black with candle black or carbide.
    The flat dull appearance will stand out against your brightly colored targets as the target is being framed.
    You should be focusing on and seeing your front sight clearly.
    In dim light,picking up the target becomes more difficult even with optics.
    Once you have the correct sight picture embedded in your mind's eye, don't pull the trigger until sight alignment is correct.
    I have the same problem at the 300yd butts at the range when the sun gets past center.
    Make sure your sights are filed/dressed so they're clean, sharp and flat depending on how they are constructed.
    Using a six o'clock hold can be helpful too.

Like I said in the OP, I don't need them more black or crisp edges. I don't have issues making a good sight picture except when the target area is dark, as is most of the time with my range, since they then just blend into the targets/backstop. When the targets/backstop get some light or I freshly repaint them, it's easy-peasy.

Actually with my optics firearms, this isn't an issue. At the times I can't pick up the iron, both red-dots and magnified optics are easy to see the targets.

Realistically, I'd change the target area/backstops to brighten it up, but that's not an option at this time.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Just a thought, I've never tried it, but if it's a front post sight maybe you could put very small diameter red or white heat shrink on it. No chance of residue, but would slightly increase the diameter of the post.

May 13, 2005
    I'm liking the nail polish, my fiancee has more than enough to experiment. Agreed, after researching the acetone, it shouldn't affect gluing or finish.

I also really like the shrink wrap idea, should be thin, not sure how it will hold up to heat tho. Don't have any experience with it. But as a reference point, shot 120 rounds through mosin today, and at times it was hotter than I could hold it at the muzzle.

Appreciate the replies.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    It is painting but there are glow in the dark front sight applicators like TruGlo and many others. A scam? I have never used any. A mini flashlight could brighten at the range after several hours. Green is good for daylight lasers.

paperwork351

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP 's stated parameters are to Not modify or replace , be as non- invasive as possible , and NOT be paint .

Those parameters scream Nail Polish

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    My Henrys have a brass bead front site which sometimes does not do the trick. Painted the brass bead with auto primer, and then covered it with HI vis Testers pant with a clear coat. Did wonders.

Attachments

• Front site bead.jpg
      Front site bead.jpg
      56.7 KB · Views: 182

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Your are working the wrong end of the problem. You don't have a problem with your sights you have a problem with your targets.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I thought I mentioned that in post three.
    Whatever you do, don't blacken your sights, make sure they are well defined, focus on them, frame your bright target and do any really crazy fundamental marksmanship principles such as remembering........................ Center, Center, Center with a six o'clock hold.
    Absolutely, under any circumstances never ever do that.

May 13, 2005
    Yeah, no mods due to the type of guns being milsurp. And it may only be a mosin, but a few of than others I have similar issues with are a lot more valuable. Plus the mosin is worth about 500 now, give it another 5 years and it will be even more. Oh, yeah and I have some of the high-vis aftermarkets on other things and they are nice, but really don't want to exchange or mod the milsurps.

I put nail polish on it this morning but didn't get a chance to try it yet.

Agreed, I would love to be able to work the target issued and get more natural light on them but that's a pretty big mod to the woods right now since its very dense tree cover. Winter and no leaves on the trees helps until spring, but then it's dark again. Also too far to run electrical for lighting lol.

Doco overboard, I understand what you are saying. The problem is I don't have a bright target most of the time.

Well, my fiancee had white, neon red and silver as about the only really bright ones. I picked white. Range test tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom