• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Ruger shipping my rifle back. Said they replaced the bolt. Believe they fixed a symptom vs the cause.

Friend said, I guess something in the lower geometry of the bolt as it feeds the cartridge??

When I receive & test, will post results
    We have 5 Ruger Americans in 350, although the magazines fit sloppy and have a great deal of play, no feed issues. The Ruger Americans I have all have many rough edges, I polished some of it out.
    I also cut off the the block of spring in the factory magazine and cut down the mag box so it doesn't stick out so far.
    I don't know why they block a 10 round bag to make it 5 instead of just making a 5 round box. To cut cost would be an obvious guess but then why not just block a 20 for everything.

Attachments

• IMG_2249.jpg
      IMG_2249.jpg
      138.8 KB · Views: 185
    • IMG_2248.jpg
      IMG_2248.jpg
      72.3 KB · Views: 184
    • IMG_2250.jpg
      IMG_2250.jpg
      124.2 KB · Views: 179

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Instead of starting a new thread, decided to post here. Setting up my Ruger American and trying to decide on what scope to use. I have a Vortex 1-8 sitting in it’s box and I figure it should work fine. The farm I am going to hunt has shots up to 300 yds, however the vast majority of shots are under 100 yds. In addition, the 350 L is probably only good out to 150 yds or less for an ethical kill.

An an ammo side:
    Have acquired only 1 box of the 150 gr Winchester XP
    and according to UPS I should have 100 rds of the Winchester 180gr XP and 100 rounds of Hornady 170 gr. arriving Monday.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I have several different types of 350 legend mags now (Ruger Duramag, AR Stoner, CMMG). They are all identical except for markings & stampings. I read elsewhere that they are all made by the same manufacturer. idk why they block a 10 round bag to make it 5 instead except that its obvious that they are just re-stamping some 556 mags to save $$.

Instead of starting a new thread, decided to post here. Setting up my Ruger American and trying to decide on what scope to use. I have a Vortex 1-8 sitting in it’s box and I figure it should work fine.

I have a 1-8 on mine and it works great I can hit 3" steel at 220yds at AGC 200 yd range.

The drop at 220yds is about 1 mil (8" or so). Strelok says the ballistics get sketch* after that so I doubt I would take a shot beyond that.

*by sketch I mean holdover and accuracy. 25" of holdover on a deer is a lot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211030-092213_Strelok Pro.jpg
      Screenshot_20211030-092213_Strelok Pro.jpg
      91.3 KB · Views: 170

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Instead of starting a new thread, decided to post here. Setting up my Ruger American and trying to decide on what scope to use. I have a Vortex 1-8 sitting in it’s box and I figure it should work fine. The farm I am going to hunt has shots up to 300 yds, however the vast majority of shots are under 100 yds. In addition, the 350 L is probably only good out to 150 yds or less for an ethical kill.

An an ammo side:
    Have acquired only 1 box of the 150 gr Winchester XP
    and according to UPS I should have 100 rds of the Winchester 180gr XP and 100 rounds of Hornady 170 gr. arriving Monday.
    I have 3 Ruger Americans that shoot the Winchester 150 XP the best and 1 shoots the Hornady 170 Whitetail the best, but they all shoot everything I've tried pretty good and close to the same zero. I have some Winchester 180 for sale in the MD Shooters Classified.
    SEE MY POST WITH PICS ABOVE

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I had a couple of surgeries get rescheduled from today and UPS arrived early afternoon with my ammo so I went to the range.

There was a little cross wind at the AGC, but at 100 yds it probably was not a significant factor.
    After getting my Ruger American sighted in using a Vortex 1-8 scope at 100 yards, the Hornady 170 gr American White tail was grouping in the target’s 1 inch bullseye. The Winchester 180 gr grouped about 5 inches high and right to the Hornady. However, the group size was between 3-4 inches. I didn’t try the 1 box of Winchester 150 gr that I have.
    I guess my rifle likes the Hornady best. I now have 90 rounds of the Winchester that I am trying to decide if I sell our keep…

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    We have 5 Ruger Americans in 350, although the magazines fit sloppy and have a great deal of play, no feed issues. The Ruger Americans I have all have many rough edges, I polished some of it out.
    I also cut off the the block of spring in the factory magazine and cut down the mag box so it doesn't stick out so far.
    I don't know why they block a 10 round bag to make it 5 instead of just making a 5 round box. To cut cost would be an obvious guess but then why not just block a 20 for everything.

Dang, that is cool.

How did ur secure the floor plate?

How much did u cutoff?

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Update on my new bolt. Took to the range on Tuesday, using 3-different rounds, zero feed issues with 25 rounds down range.

Toes still crossed

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Dang, that is cool.

How did ur secure the floor plate?

How much did u cutoff?

I cut it off and left new tabs, then heated them up and bent them the same as the factory did. It would be a lot easier if you had a welder and then you could just cut it off and tack weld the floor plate on. A 5 shot and 10 shot use the same mag box just different springs. Doesn't make sense to have a 10 round box that only holds 5 shots. The post above shows how much I cut off. I shortened the follower a little as well.

Attachments

• thumbnail (2).jpg
      thumbnail (2).jpg
      119.3 KB · Views: 131

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I got a hold of some factory Browning 155 gr BXR.

avg speed 2,236 ( 15 shots)
    sd 27 fps

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-Browning 155gr.jpg
      Ballistic-X-Export-Browning 155gr.jpg
      94.7 KB · Views: 88

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I really don’t know what all the hype is about for Winchester Deer Season XP. As hard as it was to find, I thought it was going to be the bees knees. I think the Super-X is a nice round for my particular setup. Anyone else have any luck with the XP rounds?

Left(Bottom) is Winchester Super-X Power Point, Right(Top) is Winchester Deer Season XP. Savage Apex Hunter.

Attachments

• 0870E14E-03FB-4A80-ABE7-1BD37717E9DC.jpg
      0870E14E-03FB-4A80-ABE7-1BD37717E9DC.jpg
      88.6 KB · Views: 111

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I’m using Winchester Power Max 160’s. Dialed in at 100 and it killed it! Was super happy.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I really don’t know what all the hype is about for Winchester Deer Season XP. As hard as it was to find, I thought it was going to be the bees knees. I think the Super-X is a nice round for my particular setup. Anyone else have any luck with the XP rounds?

Left(Bottom) is Winchester Super-X Power Point, Right(Top) is Winchester Deer Season XP. Savage Apex Hunter.

Your groups are better then what I got with them.
    My rifle (Ruger American) seams to really like the Hornady 170 gr. 5 shots in a quarter sized hole.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I spent some time at the range this morning with my BCA upper Ar-350. After modding the mags a little, it feeds fine.

I tried Hornady 170 grain and Federal 180 grain. Both grouped at about 1.5" at 100 yards. Good enough for me, as I don't have any open ground to hunt right now.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Your groups are better then what I got with them.
    My rifle (Ruger American) seams to really like the Hornady 170 gr. 5 shots in a quarter sized hole.

I was only shooting out to 75 for that photo, so that probably helps haha. I’d be lucky to get a shot out any further, don’t hunt too many fields these days.

Will have to give the 170s a try too. Not a bad result!

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021

:thumbsup:

Good shooting

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yes, the only two rounds I could find on the shelves were Winchester 180s and 150s. 180s are my pick so far.

I wanted the 180s. Could only find the 150s then found a bunch of the 160 power max. I’m not mad about that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom