• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Was chatting with my daughter about getting her a shotgun(her first firearm. She's 25). Mentioned pumps and semi, mainly just to have something in 20 gauge. She was like "Yeah, that's what I've been shooting trap with".
    I forgot she has been occasionally going with her boyfriend and friends to the range dabbling in Trap.

"I'd rather have an Over Under". She said she hates having to use a rental. Poor thing sounded like she was eating warm tuna fish sandwich leaking through the paper lunch bag while everyone else was having Filet.

I knew where they had one. Man, for $600 bucks, this thing is nice.

Anyway....

Is there anything I can/SHOULD take it to a gunsmith for to make it a little more nicer of an entry level gun?

My former Co-worker Doug, who owns Tuckahoe is who I would be taking it to. He's more than capable I think.

I might keep it. Screw the kid. :)

Attachments

• drake1.jpg
      drake1.jpg
      137.2 KB · Views: 338
    • drake2.jpg
      drake2.jpg
      115.9 KB · Views: 336
    • drake3.jpg
      drake3.jpg
      93.7 KB · Views: 340
    • drake4.jpg
      drake4.jpg
      139.8 KB · Views: 338

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    I would check the LOP on her and see if it fits her right. I found the stock on my CZ redhead felt longer than it actually was.

Also look into upgrading the recoil pad. Those CZs don't have a great pad from the factory.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I get LOP.

Is there anything that the gun could use besides that? This isn't going to be a Daddy/Daughter hobby thing. I'm giving her this and she will have at it when she goes with her friends.

Should something be polished/smoothed down, etc... Like I said, just give it to a gunsmith and say "have at it". Nothing cosmetic really.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I get LOP.

Is there anything that the gun could use besides that? This isn't going to be a Daddy/Daughter hobby thing. I'm giving her this and she will have at it when she goes with her friends.

Should something be polished/smoothed down, etc... Like I said, just give it to a gunsmith and say "have at it". Nothing cosmetic really.

Rare that you need to do anything with a shotgun. I have a dremel. Come to my place with a bottle of anything and we can make is shine.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I changed out the ejector springs in my Browning with 1911 main spring. It lifts them enough to take them out but they’re not flying everywhere when shooting trap or sporting clays. I’m not sure if there is any mods like that for a CZ but it would be worth checking out.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Does it have a center bead? If not, those are very handy for getting a consistent hold for trap. I put one on one of my guns and my scores went up.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Nice job Blaster.

Everybody has it pretty much covered in this thread.

Gun fit is the most important thing of all when it comes to shotguns. My main clays guns have adjustable stocks.

Regarding the bead, I put hi-viz sights on my most used shotguns, including my main hunting gun. It is really simple to do, no gunsmith really needed if you can get the front bead off and then have the ability to use a screw driver. https://www.hivizsights.com/product/litewave-compsight/

Having a mid bead helps with gun mount for trap and skeet. All my clays guns came with a mid bead already in them. Not completely necessary, but it helps. I use the mid bead when shooting trap and skeet to make sure the mount is correct. I shoot 5 stand and sporting clays low gun, so there is no time to line up mid and front beads before pulling the trigger.

Once your daughter is comfortable with trap and skeet, suggest she start shooting 5 stand and sporting clays. That takes the challenge to a completely different level.

Now, buy yourself a clays gun and go out there and shoot with your daughter.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm wrapping my brain around you having a 25 year old kid.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I'm wrapping my brain around you having a 25 year old kid.

Not too hard to imagine. Some of my friends, who also turned 50 this year with me, also have kids in their early 20s. I got a late start on this kids thing because it took me too long to find the right woman. So, my oldest is only 14, which I still cannot wrap my head around. Last night, she was talking about a driver's license and a car, which I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around.

I can see the OP with a 25 year old daughter.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Not too hard to imagine. Some of my friends, who also turned 50 this year with me, also have kids in their early 20s. I got a late start on this kids thing because it took me too long to find the right woman. So, my oldest is only 14, which I still cannot wrap my head around. Last night, she was talking about a driver's license and a car, which I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around.

I can see the OP with a 25 year old daughter.

It's not a dig at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom