I don't know what to do with it............

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slyitry

Jul 28, 2009
    I don't reload and would like to get something for it but don't know what my best options would be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20211003_144959.jpg
      20211003_144959.jpg
      197.5 KB · Views: 906

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    If it’s all brass take to scrap yard , get something for it . Probably call ask how much brass is a pound.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    If there's any other brass than your typical 9mm/223/40SW, i.e. 308, 357 magnum, 30-06, etc. then those are worth sorting and bartering/selling off.

If it is the latter, I'd sort out all the steel cases (easily done with a large magnet) and put it in the classifieds for sale/barter as a reloader may still want it. Otherwise, I'd just sell the brass as scrap.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    WOW. In the RELOADING section, people telling someone to sell brass to a scrap yard?????? Come on MAN.

Offer it for sale here. And number of people would be interested. Especially if you are selling it at scrap prices.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Heck, I will start off offering $20 for it based on just seeing the pictures. More if it is separated by caliber and is calibers I shoot.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    If it is dirty uncleaned brass you'll get the lowest price for it from a hand loader. The once fired brass I buy is always cleaned in a tumbler with stainless steel pins and solution it comes out so clean it looks better than new.

slyitry

Jul 28, 2009
    I never thought I would be picking up brass but a friend who shoots with me basically said I have too much brass laying around and at least try to get something for it. So I started picking it up and did not realize it was that much. Sad thing is there's far more brass still on the ground than in the buckets. I did separate it by .223/556 and 9mm. The other calipers I just put them in one container. The aluminum casings were destined for the scrap yard. Thanks for all the replies I guess scrap yard it is.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If it is dirty uncleaned brass you'll get the lowest price for it from a hand loader. The once fired brass I buy is always cleaned in a tumbler with stainless steel pins and solution it comes out so clean it looks better than new.

Or at least not filthy, which that kind of looks like.

But it’s worth more than $20 in scrap value.

If it isn’t totally filthy it might be worth the time to sort it and offer it up on the classified section. But figure you’d be getting maybe 2-3 cents a case for basic handgun cases, maybe 4-6 cents per case for .223/5.56. Of course more expensive handguns and rifle cases would be worth a bit more. Cleaned it would be worth more for sure. Maybe double that. Somewhat less if it is muddy, leaf filled dreck.

But you’ve gotta add in your time. Both to sort it and your time to post it on the classifieds and meeting up with someone. And unless they are taking it all, meeting up with multiple people.

Dunno, I sort of enjoy stuff like that. But at the same time unless it is something I know is going to help someone (who hopefully deserves it), my time is worth something. If I am bothering to post it in the classifieds, it had better be worth at least $20. The extra work to sort all that?

Dirty sorted brass that is maybe $100-150 worth at a guess. But unless someone is going to buy ALL of it in one go. That’s multiple sales. Which is more of your time. Plus the sorting time (an hour or two). Might be $50-70 of scrap value. Or if you’ve got a decent idea of what was in there, you can weigh it out and offer it up on the classifieds at something a bit over scrap value.

Example, “25lbs of range brass. Dirty. Mix of mostly .223/5.56, 9mm and 40 with a few other calibers mixed in. Scrap value is $50, looking for $80” and post a picture or two and call it a day. You’d get less than sorting it, but you’d save a ton of your time and could likely get more than scrap value.

Unless pretty desperate for the cash or you do have a tumbler to clean it up and make it worth more, I’d just take it to the scrap yard or take the path of weighing it and posting it just above scrap value in the classifieds.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    …. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, you asked so, honestly?

PUT IT IN CLEANER RECEPTACLES before posting photos of it! :lol2:

Seriously? Best of success. I’ve been in the same position before (I always wind up donating it to a reloader. Or, someone pushing a grocery cart, whomever I encounter, first.)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'd have no problem buying unsorted dirty brass in bulk buckets, provided I knew roughly what the mix was and it interested me. ie, is it 223 and 9mm, or is all 40, etc.? Brass shell spot price is ~$1.70 a lb on average, if that gives you an idea of pricing. Or just donate it for karma.

slyitry

Jul 28, 2009
    99 percent of it is 223/9mm brass. I don't shoot steel and I only have one 45 caliper pistol that I rarely shoot. If it was up to me with the amount of brass lying on the ground I would just allow someone who wanted it to come and get it so I would not have to pick it up but there is no way in hell my significant other would allow that.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    scrap it or sell it as-is.

all the brass I've purchased has been be the pound..most
    has been in decent condition, always interested in brass mainly
    now 45acp LP...but don't turn down a decent price...

sort it clean it up a little sell it...

-Rock

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    99 percent of it is 223/9mm brass. I don't shoot steel and I only have one 45 caliper pistol that I rarely shoot. If it was up to me with the amount of brass lying on the ground I would just allow someone who wanted it to come and get it so I would not have to pick it up but there is no way in hell my significant other would allow that.
    Where are you located?

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    So is it worth picking up and sorting all the brass left on the ground at my local range?
    Welcome, might want to go to the Introduction thread and introduce yourself, your interests, and other information. Keeps from getting a bad reputation by reopening old threads with single sentences or obtuse questions, making you look like a post whore trying to get to 50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom