• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newhunter

Oct 4, 2021
    Hi folks,

Introducing myself as a new 'hunter' here, recently got Hunter Safety, licence and shotgun.

I say 'hunter' as I may have the paperwork but I have zero experience and it is hard to come by. I signed up to the mentored hunts and am hopeful to be accepted.

In the meantime I thought to start with small game like rabbits and see what I can learn. To prepare I spent today hiking unmarked forest trails in the southern hunting area of Patuxent River State Park. I didn't see much life except for a lot of birds, but it was good to be outdoors.

I thought to go back to the State Park when rabbits are in season but this time hang around the edges of crop fields, where I figure rabbits may be more likely to hang out. Is this a good technique?

Several crop fields are, I think, within the boundaries of PR State Park, some to the west of Howard Chapel Road and west of Jennings Chapel Rd. I am pretty sure they are within the Park, but I am confused why people can farm State Park land and what that means for hunting. Am I okay to hunt in these? Are there any special rules about hunting in crop fields?

I moved here from a city in case that isn't obvious.

Looking forward to my first hunt. Thanks everyone and I appreciate any advice you care to share.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I have hiked there. Mostly squirrels but i did see one deer.

idk what the deal is with farming in state park lands but many of them have specific warnings "no hunting in fields until crops are harvested." By now I think that they are all harvested.

DNR posts all the rules & maps online - what weapons, seasons, etc and any park specific rules.

idk about rabbits, but if you want to get some squirrels, go off the trails and find some acorns. Plenty this time of year. Wait for them either near dusk or dawn.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Not familiar with the areas you mention, but keep an eye out for folks in your neighborhood who are dressed in Camo. Introductions is a start.
    Search the DNR web site for all kinds of info on hunting in general , and specifics on critters of interest.Also read regs about hunting in general and State Park information.
    "GOOGLE" the "how to hunt (critter of interest)" for the "whys and wherefores" of the effort.
    This time of year you will find lots of hunting threads right here on MDS forum(s). Look for local Hunting Clubs. Good Luck.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Welcome from Laurel.

A shotgun is the perfect first gun for hunting. Get proficient with it before actually hunting. Pattern it with different shot and slugs to know exactly how it will perform, and it's limitations. Learn about the behavior of the intended game animals, and the area available to you. Your hunts will be more productive, and the kills will be humane. Tracking skills could come in very handy, too.

Nothing beats experience which accumulates over time. The time you invest into learning and preparation is well spent, but spending time in the woods is the greatest teacher, IMO.

Finding an experienced friend or relative to hunt with could also be very helpful. Private property will always be preferred over public lands which can sometimes be filled with idiots endangering themselves and everything around them.

Hunting provided my family with many tasty meals over the years. There are many ways to prepare game meat, but if it is not processed correctly, it will not be worth eating and may not be safe for consumption. Always be equipped to properly handle the game you will encounter, and signs of disease and parasites in game animals.

Next investment,... a quality knife to accompany you in the field.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Starting with small game is very logical and shows a responsible approach on your part. Squirrel and rabbit are tasty, plentiful, and usually less pressured by hunters than deer. I am unfamiliar with the exact area you are in but for squirrels, find stands of trees that bear nuts and look for signs of habitation such as their dreys and fresh burial of winter stores. Rather than walking constantly, find such a location and park yourself in a comfy position where you can see well into a tree or two. Bring a lightweight camp chair/stool/cushion. Sit and watch. Listen for telltale chewing of nut husks. DO NOT ever fire into a drey.

Use appropriate size shot and chokes for your intended game and distance.

Good hunting and welcome to the boards.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Why wait for rabbit in Nov. which also happens to be around the same time the rut intensifies? You can hunt squirrel now. Otherwise yes field edges more on the field side is where you’ll find the bunnies.

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    I hunt in that area, ok to hunt the fields. No special rules or anything. I've seen a few rabbits along the field edges off of Hipsley Mill. There are a lot of squirrels out when I've been deer hunting early morning. I recommend trying for squirrel first because you would probably see more of them.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I’m in the same boat as you. I plan to go rabbit hunting this year with a buddy. I don’t know how it will go, but we will have fun either way.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have hiked there. Mostly squirrels but i did see one deer.

idk what the deal is with farming in state park lands but many of them have specific warnings "no hunting in fields until crops are harvested." By now I think that they are all harvested.

DNR posts all the rules & maps online - what weapons, seasons, etc and any park specific rules.

idk about rabbits, but if you want to get some squirrels, go off the trails and find some acorns. Plenty this time of year. Wait for them either near dusk or dawn.

The fields you are referring to are leased by the state for farming. Yes they can be hunted from everything I have been aware of. I’ve seen 2 rabbits in Patuxent in 5 years of hunting the park. Go for squirrels instead. Most areas rabbit hunting is going to be with a dog or a 22 and taking a rabbit of opportunity on your own property. I’d pan fry them (squirrels) with some EVOO and Rosemary. Tastes great. Watch a few YouTube videos on how to skin them. Big game is easier to skin, just FYI.

Other than some patients and a willingness to shoot a living thing, there is typically not a lot of overlap between hunting small game and something like deer hunting. Sure doesn’t hurt to start in one and move to the other.

newhunter

Oct 4, 2021
    Thank you everyone for your time and helpful advice.

I'm away camping this week (no hunting, unfortunately) but I've just booked time at PG Trap and Skeet to work on my shooting skills as suggested. As soon as I can I want to head out back to PRSP. I will start with squirrels as several folks here mention, but I will keep my eyes open for rabbit. I hope by the end of the winter I can pick up some decent game, like a goose or turkey.

I would love to combine a hunting and camping trip at some point but that's one for another day.

Happy hunting. If you see someone who clearly doesn't know what they are doing be sure to say hello!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

I'm away camping this week (no hunting, unfortunately) but I've just booked time at PG Trap and Skeet to work on my shooting skills as suggested. As soon as I can I want to head out back to PRSP. I will start with squirrels as several folks here mention, but I will keep my eyes open for rabbit. I hope by the end of the winter I can pick up some decent game, like a goose or turkey.

I would love to combine a hunting and camping trip at some point but that's one for another day.

Happy hunting. If you see someone who clearly doesn't know what they are doing be sure to say hello!

Squirrels and deer will be the easiest thing for you to hunt without much shooting experience and without much hunting knowledge.

Rabbits generally hide in the brush. Rarely do you see them during the day, but I have a couple fat ones by my house that I see on occasion. Mostly see them when I am mowing the grass and they shoot out of brush or from under a tree when I am mowing close by. I have seen a couple come out of brush while I have been out pheasant hunting and walking around, but not many. Best we have ever done hunting rabbits is with a beagle.

Squirrels and deer I have seen plenty of in the woods, while in a tree stand, while sitting on a seat on the ground, and while in a ground blind.

For geese, you are going to have to find a field that they want to be in, you will need some decoys, you will need to learn to call a little bit, and you will need to learn how to wing shoot. Waterfowl and doves are the two types of hunting I like the most. If you obtain permission to hunt a field that geese are using and you want some help hunting them (e.g., layout blinds, geese, calling, etc.), shoot me a PM. Just a ton of work to kill 1 goose. Have to find places to hunt late season that are in the western zone so you can bring home a truckload of geese and make a year's worth of jerky.

As far as turkeys are concerned, probably the hardest animal to hunt out of what we are allowed to hunt in Maryland. However, you do have some turkeys by you.

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    Patuxent River SP does have some dove which is a lot easier to start with then getting into goose hunting. You don't need a lot of gear. I usually go to Mckee Beshers for opening day since they plant sunflowers there. Patuxent usually has birds over the corn fields.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Patuxent River SP does have some dove which is a lot easier to start with then getting into goose hunting. You don't need a lot of gear. I usually go to Mckee Beshers for opening day since they plant sunflowers there. Patuxent usually has birds over the corn fields.

How many people are McKee Beshers on opening day of dove season? Also, how plentiful are the birds. I need to come up with some options for dove hunting because getting a limit lately has been difficult.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

:thumbsup: Enjoy the hunt! Squirrels are an excellent first choice, particularly when hunted in semi-remote to remote areas. You'll learn some good woodsmanship while hunting and approaching those wary buggers out there. The same skills will translate to deer and turkey (in the fall and winter season for the latter in wooded environs, at least, where the ability to quietly find and stalk them on any given day is the trick).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom