• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CameraGuy

Floaty Potato
    Hi all,

Considering adding a rifle to my collection. I like the looks of the high point carbine, and if I get it in 9mm, takes the same ammo as my pistol, however the M and P 15-22 is really appealing due to the lower cost of ammo. Anyone out there have experience with both? All other input is appreciated as well.

Thanks,

CG

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    You should have a .22 rifle. They're loads of fun. There are many fine choices available from semi-auto to bolt to lever to single-shot.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Is there something other than the m an p 15-22 you would recommend that you think I should look at as well?

Your most common .22 is going to be a Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22. The later of which is infinitely customizable

The 15-22 is a dependable .22 as well and I would rate it as very popular in today's world. I elected to put a .22 upper on a regular AR lower myself just cause I'm not a huge fan of the polymer nature of the 15-22

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Is there something other than the m an p 15-22 you would recommend that you think I should look at as well?

Your most common .22 is going to be a Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22. The later of which is infinitely customizable

So many good choices and both of those mentioned are amongst them. I prefer the 10/22 and mine has more rounds through it than my other guns combined. The Marlin 795 is a magazine fed version of the Marlin 60 which is tube fed. The Marlin 39a is a classic lever action, but Henry makes nice ones too. CZ makes excellent semi-autos and bolt actions. Savage makes excellent bolt actions...

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    I own the 15-22 in the pistol version. I will tell you that firearm makes the cut on almost every range trip. As someone else here said, that gun probably has as many rounds on it as the other guns combined. The only problem I've ever had with the gun is I sent the ejector hook flying one day closing the bolt on a chamber flag wrong, 100% my fault not the gun.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    9mm carbine is a lot more fun to shoot than a 22. More expensive tho. You`ll probably buy both eventually. Which one you want first?

Check out a Keltec sub 2000. Cool gun about $500

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Hi all,

Considering adding a rifle to my collection. I like the looks of the high point carbine, and if I get it in 9mm, takes the same ammo as my pistol, however the M and P 15-22 is really appealing due to the lower cost of ammo. Anyone out there have experience with both? All other input is appreciated as well.

Thanks,

CG

I’d say get a 9mm carbine and a .22 rifle. Buy quality and interchangeability- my recommendation is a Ruger PC9 carbine, and a Ruger 10/22 for a .22 but the M&P 15-22 is fine as well, I own both myself as well as a lever and a bolt action .22.

MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020

I have the M&P 15-22 decent gun. I also have the Tippman M4.22 Elite.
    The Tippman has a real AR-15 feel, all aluminum. It rarely has a FTF. I think the accuracy is about the same. The con of the Tippman is the magazine, you have to depress a button to bring the real magazine up out of the case to load it. I picked both up at Duffy's.
    Both good guns , just my opinion.
    If I would have to pick between the 2, the Tippman would be my choice.

Last edited:

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    OP doesn't have any rifles yet? If you can only afford one, get the .22 - or get *a* 22, there were quite a few good ones suggested in this thread. A PCC is a lot of fun to have too, so that's a great choice as a second rifle either now or later when you have more spare cash.

Then you'll be hooked and you'll have to start getting bigger safes and more range bags and scopes and cases and...

8-)

USArmyJoe

Pretty good shot
    Oct 5, 2021
    AA County
    I vote 15-22 over anything Hi-Point. There are other PCCs out there that are way better, and if it is only for recreation, then you can't do any better than a 22.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hi Point carbines are Very affordable , great value PCC * despite * their looks .

But the two choices offered are at least three different things .

Do you want a 9mm rifle on purpose ? An AR-15 understudy on purpose ? Or just simply a fun rifle ?

Everybody should have a .22lr rifle .

The flavors of them in new and readily available used is near infinite .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom