• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    In the past 2 weeks or so I R&R'd three TC rifles.
    All three were previously neglected forlorn and overlooked for quite some time.
    The Hawken needed counter bored into a QLA muzzle type. My son has a big ass lathe with a 15/16 collet for 4 jaw chuck. He told me the bore is exactly true with the barrel exterior so it was snap to do. Also the barrel steel was very soft. The Scout and New Englander needed completely gone through as well.
    Luckily the New Englander escaped with a perfect bore because it had been boiled out and greased prior to storage. The other two might be 8o% or better from factory new. Ill run MMP sabots in them for awhile and then more than likely move on to some home cast minie balls.
    The wood types were stripped, steamed up and scraped then re-oiled. Paint job for the plastic stocked Scout. Telescope sight and wood cheek riser added. Cheek riser is cut from junk Spanish Mauser fore-end.
    The NE has had double set triggers, trigger bow and patch box added from a Hawken rifle. An astute observer would note the patch box is reversed from its usual position on the NE. If you ever loaded or used them while in the woods hunting you would know why. (when you open the door the muzzle is tilted up and the rifle turned towards the hip so nothing falls out) Some time ago before the in-lines became prevalent, I put one together just like it from extra parts. So its actually just a re do copied from an earlier project.
    Hopefully they will shoot worth a dam. Ill probably just work up a load, zero them and put them away after fiddling with them and getting em right.
    Once the oil tightens up on the Hawken Ill buff it out with a lambs wool bonnet/and wax to knock that Cocoa butter sheen of it. Its still wet in this humidity for a while yet it seems.

TC rifles.jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Very nice.

Thanks for the compliment.
    I get a kick out of muzzle-loaders. Whether its working on them, shooting or doing repair they always provided tons of enjoyment.
    Next week we're blessed with the opportunity to field them for hunting/ recreation in the field.
    I always look forward to this particular time of the year even though its still a little warm early for the bulk of deer season.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Very cool! Have not seen a T/C Scout in a long time! I’m a big fan of T/C cap locks. Just this week I hauled my T/C White Mountain Carbine out to the range along with my T/C Impact. First time I have fired the WMC in years and forgot how much I love that thing! I also picked up T/C Hawken and a Traditions Kentucky Rifle in the past year or so but have yet to fire them. I also picked up a Traditions Kentucky Pistol kit that I will work on over the winter months while tending the wood stove in the basement. The Kentucky rifle was bought as a wall hanger but I will eventually fire it.

Last edited:

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I love the T/C guns, wish they'd actually start making them again. I have a beaut Cherokee .32 (with extra .45 barrel) and a pre-75 Hawken with a Sharon barrel; the Hawken is what got me into muzzleloaders. Rebuilt the lock on the Hawken last year, well over a thousand balls through that gun from just me, alone.

Attachments

• TC Cherokee .32.jpg
      TC Cherokee .32.jpg
      70.8 KB · Views: 104
    • TC Hawken.jpg
      TC Hawken.jpg
      61.3 KB · Views: 104

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members