• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    for the tribal members on our rez. I want to get a big doe to get some nice, big backstrap steaks first. I'll go after her with my newest 308 rifle.

Will report...

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    It really cooled off. Tonight it's in the 30's. I was waiting for the poison ivy to die here. It really gets high around here...over about 8 feet. Makes it hard to track deer after you shoot them. I really wait for the corn to be harvested but it's just been starting. The deer around here come out right at dusk to feed on the leftovers.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I scouted a spot high on a bluff near the Missouri River tonight. I was hoping that part of the cornfields below would have been harvested like last year. Deer would come down from the bluff at dusk and feed on the standing corn. None of the fields have been harvested yet and I saw no deer but they can disappear into the fields easily.

As it started to get dark a deer or more than one made a racket a few yards to my left. I think they caught my scent and panicked. It's real steep terrain and it sounded like one of them took a fall. Tomorrow night I'll wait farther down the bluff and see if they come down the same way but I'll have my 308 handy.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Absolutely. Knew a farmer that would carry a shotgun right in the cab of the combine.

The deer will move over a few rows at a time as the picker goes up and down rows, not wanting to leave the food and cover, for a long as they can.

I never appreciated how tolerant the deer were of the machinery until I sat and watched. From inside the cab.

The deer often just live in the corn until it has been cut.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Absolutely. Knew a farmer that would carry a shotgun right in the cab of the combine.

The deer will move over a few rows at a time as the picker goes up and down rows, not wanting to leave the food and cover, for a long as they can.

I never appreciated how tolerant the deer were of the machinery until I sat and watched. From inside the cab.

Many deer have been killed from the cabs of combines.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Tonight I tried on the other side of the bluff. I haven't scouted to area with leaves still in the trees though. It cuts the visibility down a lot. I'm hunting this long gulley that goes down the bluff to the south. It gets pretty steep and deep but the deer like to stay in the woods during the day on the other side of the gulley in the trees and go down the other side of the bluff to eat and drink. There's also a spring fed creek at the base of the bluff next to the cornfields. I need to move farther down the gulley tomorrow. Didn't see anything tonight but I spooked a deer as I was walking to the spot.

Tomorrow I'm taking a Ruger American 223 with me. I think I have a real good chance at a monster buck in this area. The season doesn't open for non-tribal members until the 25th. There's a guy who hunts there after that. I saw his truck there a lot last year.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Tonight I tried on the other side of the bluff. I haven't scouted to area with leaves still in the trees though. It cuts the visibility down a lot. I'm hunting this long gulley that goes down the bluff to the south. It gets pretty steep and deep but the deer like to stay in the woods during the day on the other side of the gulley in the trees and go down the other side of the bluff to eat and drink. There's also a spring fed creek at the base of the bluff next to the cornfields. I need to move farther down the gulley tomorrow. Didn't see anything tonight but I spooked a deer as I was walking to the spot.

Tomorrow I'm taking a Ruger American 223 with me. I think I have a real good chance at a monster buck in this area. The season doesn't open for non-tribal members until the 25th. There's a guy who hunts there after that. I saw his truck there a lot last year.

IMHO, you probably realize, but shot placement is absolutely critical with a 223 on something like a monster buck. I’d personally want to go a little bigger if I thought that was likely (I’d use it here in Maryland, but I am usually shooting 70-120lbs deer at 80yds and under. Not monster bucks and not at any real range)

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    IMHO, you probably realize, but shot placement is absolutely critical with a 223 on something like a monster buck. I’d personally want to go a little bigger if I thought that was likely (I’d use it here in Maryland, but I am usually shooting 70-120lbs deer at 80yds and under. Not monster bucks and not at any real range)

Yeah, I thought about it this morning and might go for my 30-30 or 45-70 tonight. The shot would be less than 50 yards in this thick cover.

I did shoot a small buck at 130 yards with a 22-250 and it dropped on the spot though. That was a few years ago.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    A cold front went thought today and the temps dropped way down. Tonight it's gonna be below freezing. I didn't go hunting today because I had other things to take care of. Maybe I should concentrate on getting a doe for meat but I have a few more days to myself where the big bucks are located. After that the out-of-state hunters will be around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom