• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hussian

Sep 29, 2021
    Hi,
    I have a lot of guns but recently got an itch for an AUG that needs to be scratched, I saw AUG was banned in Maryland but some folks have the A3 version (5.56), is that legal? Looking to buy one tomorrow. Couldn’t find anything on the MD banned list

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Hi,
    I have a lot of guns but recently got an itch for an AUG that needs to be scratched, I saw AUG was banned in Maryland but some folks have the A3 version (5.56), is that legal? Looking to buy one tomorrow. Couldn’t find anything on the MD banned list

Steyr AUG-SA banned. Not sure if that covers the A3 as I'm not an AUG person.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    They may have bought it before the ban.

Even if it wasn't banned by name its less than 29" so it does not pass the evil features test.

Hussian

Sep 29, 2021
    They may have bought it before the ban.

Even if it wasn't banned by name its less than 29" so it does not pass the evil features test.

The one I’m looking at is 28.15” long, if I add a muzzle device, would it be legal?

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I doubt it. You'd have to talk to an FFL but looks to me as though the A3 is functionally the same as the A2 except maybe the rail, so its banned by name.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    The 18" barreled MSAR STG is MD-legal, not all parts are compatible with the AUG. It has been discontinued and your only shot is the second hand market.

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    I think the msar stg is your only option. The normal aug is banned by name. The msar is similar but different parts. If you decide to try to find one; Do your research there are gremlins with some of these rifles and no factory or real aftermarket support. You don't wanna get stuck with a paperweight.

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    It's an absolute treasure of a rifle and I love it. Unfortunately it's banned outright in MD for purchase/transfer/sale unless you own one before the ban. If you ever move out of state highly recommend you get one. The new A3s are being manufactured in Alabama now and come with a rail.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    You could buy an AUG A3 receiver and build it into an SBR. Same concept as building an AR from a lower. I have a stripped AUG receiver and am currently accumulating parts.

You’ll have to put an extension on the barrel or the buttstock to meet 29.5”

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You could buy an AUG A3 receiver and build it into an SBR. Same concept as building an AR from a lower. I have a stripped AUG receiver and am currently accumulating parts.

You’ll have to put an extension on the barrel or the buttstock to meet 29.5”
    No, you can't. It will not make the OAL floor.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, you can't. It will not make the OAL floor.

You cannot by making the barrel longer, as with a 16" barrel is it 28.15", but you could extend the butt.

You would need to make the barrel 15.9" and then add about 1" to the butt.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Or buy and install the 20 inch barrel... if you can find one.

Nope, doesn't work.

Then is a rifle and banned by name.

It only works to be an SBR, and if it over 16" barrel, it is no longer an SBR.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    If the threads are like an AR-15 just get one of the longer muzzle devices to have welded on. If its just an OAL issue. Retro rifles advertises various long muzzle devices.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If the threads are like an AR-15 just get one of the longer muzzle devices to have welded on. If its just an OAL issue. Retro rifles advertises various long muzzle devices.

One more time.

If you make the barrel longer than 16" it is not an SBR so BANNED by name.

But you can make one an SBR, but the barrel has to be under 16". But then it is less than 29" OAL, so you need to extend the butt end.

If you have a non-HBAR AR, it is banned. If you put a 14.5" non-HABR barrel on it with a pinned and welded flash hider, it is still banned. If you Form 1 SBR it and put a 14.5" barrel WITHOUT a pinned and welded flash hider, it doesn't have to be HBAR. But an AR is over 29" down to about a 10.5" barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom