• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cega

BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Have had no luck lately in finding small pistol primers and have about 3k .40 S&W to reload. I have small pistol magnum primers and have been trying to get some more definitive answers about whether I can use these to reload .40 S&W or not.

In searching for info on this about all I find is that it can be done, with caution, and that with the pressure increase from the magnum primer that loads should be backed off. Other than starting at start load levels there isn't much that I have found more definitive.

Anyone have any words of wisdom (or want to trade 1k small pistol magnum primers for small pistol)?

Thanks in advance,

Carl

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    You can safely use small pistol magnum primers to load 40S&W. You will need to back off to the low-end of the powder range and work back up with a chronograph, looking for any pressure signs. If using the same powder you previously have, by comparing chronos you will arrive at a good load using the magnums. It may only be 0.1-0.2g less, but you need to go through the process carefully, especially if you are currently running a hot load for your .40.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    dont know where you at.. i just got home and bought 2k of small pistol primers from accurate guns and ammo.. heard from another forum member that he got some from bass pro.. but then again he was there when just just stocked up during the weekday.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    they'll work fine. back your powder down slightly if you are loading to saami cmax.

cega

BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2010
    I'm out in Finksburg. Bass Pro was out last week when I was there. I'll back the load down some and give the ones I have here a try until I can get some small pistol. Heck, need large pistol too. And large rifle...and...and...and...damn!

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Yes to answer your question. If the hammer strike is heavy enough to fire the primer you can use them. Drop your powder charge and work up. You can load a empty case with a primer and fire it in the pistol in question as a test. Wear eyes and ears and point the firearm in a safe direction while attempting.

Good Luck

Jerry

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    You also might want to check with Dan at Gun Connection. I picked up some CCI#200 Large Rifle and Some Varget powder from him last week (both rarer than hen's teeth.) I think he has other stuff in stock.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm out in Finksburg. Bass Pro was out last week when I was there. I'll back the load down some and give the ones I have here a try until I can get some small pistol. Heck, need large pistol too. And large rifle...and...and...and...damn!

i know the feeling.. i just got lucky.. got 2k of small pistol and 1k of small rifle.. should last me 6 months.. now im looking for some powder.. i'd rather pay/help local dealers than pay for the hazard fees for 2 pounds of powders.. lol

cega

BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2010
    I've got decent amounts of some powders - enough to get sorta caught up but primers are killing me. What powder are you looking for?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I've got decent amounts of some powders - enough to get sorta caught up but primers are killing me. What powder are you looking for?

been looking for power pistol and some reloader 15 for my 308s.. not really urgent.. but will need some since we are having some decent weathers.. may hit the ranges more often.. :)

Usmc1968

Pronouns: Bro / Brah/ Bruh
    Jan 22, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Good to know, thanks. I was going through my ammo cans yesterday and found 5K small pistol primers, 1K of them magnum. Also Large rifle and large pistol. All less than 5 years old. Will be loading 9mm as well as my .40SW and .357 SIG

Semper Fi

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Necro2.jpeg

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Eleven years ago people had troubles finding primers you would have thought they would have learned the lesson!

Buy when cheap and stock 'em deep!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom