• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    this all started when i noticed how cheap (low cost) the s&w m&p 15-22 was... i was going to pick one of those up but after thinking about it i really would like something that goes BANG a little louder than a .22

i would like to buy something ready to go instead of building one just because i do not know anything about building an ar and i'm not sure if i have the patience to wait for parts to come in separately and then build the gun from the ground up.

can you guys recommend anything that is relatively cheap? i don't really want to spend over $1000. that was the whole appeal of the m&p 15-22... the price

thanks for any help, advise or suggestions in advance.

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    By the time you get the paperwork back for the lower you could probably have all the parts in depending on the stock status and vendor.

Else hbars are same day long guns everything else is transferred as regulated.

Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    PSA gets highly recommended by a lot of others as a first AR for target shooting, home defense. Try looking into those. I've seen some as low as 750. You can always build on that to what you want.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    i haven't checked the prices lately, but not too long ago i saw the S&W M&P 15 Sport for $650 it has no dust cover or foward assist though if you wanted those.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If your wallet could stand a little more, the Colt 6920 may be the only rifle you'll ever buy (doubtful though.) :D Good quality. Holds it's value. Little over 1k.

Contact Andy at Engage Armament. They are an IP here. I love mine.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    bmodzelewski said:
    ...can you guys recommend anything that is relatively cheap? i don't really want to spend over $1000. that was the whole appeal of the m&p 15-22... ...

You might want to buy (the increasingly pricey) .223 ammo ($350+/1,000) and see what you have left over for a rifle. :) Or, buy only a little ammo initially and use the extra $ to buy a better rifle like the Colt 6920.

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    The Windham Weaponry HBAR is one of the best deals going right now for about $850.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=90909

i will look into that one... $850 plus tax may be on the very high end of what i was hoping to spend...

By the time you get the paperwork back for the lower you could probably have all the parts in depending on the stock status and vendor.

Else hbars are same day long guns everything else is transferred as regulated.

i'm pretty handy but i just dont know anything about building these and i would also have to fork out more cash on build tools

PSA gets highly recommended by a lot of others as a first AR for target shooting, home defense. Try looking into those. I've seen some as low as 750. You can always build on that to what you want.

i will check them out.. yep target/home defense/when shit finally goes down is what i want it for. and $750 sounds pretty good... prob the cheapest ive seen. thanks.

i haven't checked the prices lately, but not too long ago i saw the S&W M&P 15 Sport for $650 it has no dust cover or foward assist though if you wanted those.

that sounds great! thats not much more than the 15-22.

although what is the dust cover and forward assist? would i need either?

If your wallet could stand a little more, the Colt 6920 may be the only rifle you'll ever buy (doubtful though.) :D Good quality. Holds it's value. Little over 1k.

i dont think i could spend that much... at least not at this point in time

You might want to buy (the increasingly pricey) .223 ammo ($350+/1,000) and see what you have left over for a rifle. :) Or, buy only a little ammo initially and use the extra $ to buy a better rifle like the Colt 6920.

i know, ive been keeping an eye on that too.

is .223 the same exact as 5.56? do all ARs chambered in .223 accept 5.56 ammo?

Walmart Black Friday will have the Sig Sauer M400 on sale for $867.

hmm... a bit pricey but it looks like a nice gun. ive never seen one of those at walmart

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012

I second this suggestion.

Just between $150 to $200 beyond what your target budget, and so much more for the buck.

Also consider the Colt 6721, non-regulated HBAR, virtually the same as the 6920 in all other aspects including price, IF you can find em.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    ialthough what is the dust cover and forward assist? would i need either?
    Those are devices intended for use on a combat rifle. If all you do is go to the range then you don't need them.

The dust cover snaps close over the ejection port and keeps the dirt/mud out of the action. It opens automatically when the charging handel is pulled or a round is fired.

The Foward Assist is that big button on the right side - it allows the shooter to positively close the bolt (much like pushing forward on the handle of a Garand or AK).

is .223 the same exact as 5.56? do all ARs chambered in .223 accept 5.56 ammo?
    No they are not the exact same, very close but not exactly the same.

5.56 can safely (and reliably) shoot any .223.

However .223 may not safely nor reliably shoot 5.56 loads. It depends on which .223 chamber is used and if it was cut to minium specifications.

For maximum reliability find a rifle with a proper 5.56 chamber and a chrome lined barrel.

For maximum accuracy you want to look for a rifle with a .223 chamber in stainless or a quality carbon-steel barrel.

hmm... a bit pricey but it looks like a nice gun. ive never seen one of those at walmart

You won't in MD, but in other states you will.

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    No they are not the exact same, very close but not exactly the same.

5.56 can safely (and reliably) shoot any .223.

However .223 may not safely nor reliably shoot 5.56 loads. It depends on which .223 chamber is used and if it was cut to minium specifications.

For maximum reliability find a rifle with a proper 5.56 chamber and a chrome lined barrel.

For maximum accuracy you want to look for a rifle with a .223 chamber in stainless or a quality carbon-steel barrel.

which chamber would you recommend?

sounds like 5.56 for the versatility and reliability... as far as accuracy... i'll prob just be going to freestate indoor range and shooting at 25 yrds max (i believe that is their full length)... cant imagine that the accuracy be much off at that distance... and for anything else id imagine it is still "accurate enough"

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    this all started when i noticed how cheap (low cost) the s&w m&p 15-22 was... i was going to pick one of those up but after thinking about it i really would like something that goes BANG a little louder than a .22

i would like to buy something ready to go instead of building one just because i do not know anything about building an ar and i'm not sure if i have the patience to wait for parts to come in separately and then build the gun from the ground up.

can you guys recommend anything that is relatively cheap? i don't really want to spend over $1000. that was the whole appeal of the m&p 15-22... the price

thanks for any help, advise or suggestions in advance.

It's going to be nearly impossible for you to stay under $1000 with optics, but you can start with irons for less and build up. My first was a DPMS full lower (included stock, and was factory assembled) which I picked up for $250. A month later I picked up a Stag Arms flattop upper with rear flip sight and A2 gas block for $450. So for $700 I had mine bought and paid for, and added other goodies as time went on. Very happy with that combo and in several thousand rounds has never failed in any way with any ammo.

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    which chamber would you recommend?

sounds like 5.56 for the versatility and reliability... as far as accuracy... i'll prob just be going to freestate indoor range and shooting at 25 yrds max (i believe that is their full length)... cant imagine that the accuracy be much off at that distance... and for anything else id imagine it is still "accurate enough"

I only buy 5.56 Chrome lined barrels for my .224 ARs.

You are correct, one really won't notice the difference at Freestate. Go on the 600y line during a match and you will notice a difference.;)

streetdude

Oct 3, 2012
    check out Thunderstick in Fawn Grove, pa. They hooked me up with a bushmasterXM15 for around 750. My plan is to start out with the basics and go from there. I am new to the AR arena as well.
    Good luck and dont wait to long.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    If youre fine with no dust cover and forward assist, get the M&P 15. If you want those and have to pay 850ish for something with those.....I'd spend the little extra and get the colt. :thumbsup: Sounds like the M&P will serve you fine though. :thumbsup:

bmodzelewski

Oct 11, 2012
    Middle River
    It's going to be nearly impossible for you to stay under $1000 with optics, but you can start with irons for less and build up. My first was a DPMS full lower (included stock, and was factory assembled) which I picked up for $250. A month later I picked up a Stag Arms flattop upper with rear flip sight and A2 gas block for $450. So for $700 I had mine bought and paid for, and added other goodies as time went on. Very happy with that combo and in several thousand rounds has never failed in any way with any ammo.

Yeah, I was hoping on staying around $700 for just the gun no add-ons yet.

check out Thunderstick in Fawn Grove, pa. They hooked me up with a bushmasterXM15 for around 750. My plan is to start out with the basics and go from there. I am new to the AR arena as well.
    Good luck and dont wait to long.

I will check with Thunderstick.

And thanks everyone for all the additional info

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom