• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 0128shot

Jul 7, 2011
    Poolesville,MD
    As the title implies what are your thoughts about ballistol, and Does it clean and lubricate?

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    As the title implies what are your thoughts about ballistol, and Does it clean and lubricate?

I've been using Ballistol for years and give it a big :thumbsup:. And yes, it cleans, lubricates, and protects against rust. It's a great all in one CLP.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    My cleaning/maintenance regiment is Ballistol, Gunzilla, and Militec-1. All around, for what it is, Ballistol is about as good as it gets, especially for rust protection.

brooksie

Dec 30, 2010
    Middle River
    I’ve been using it now for approximately 6 months, after watching a You-Tube review. Ordered some from Midway and so far, I’ve been pleased with the results. Does what it says.

Makarov Kid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 7, 2012
    Commietown, Maryland
    Ballistol is amazing!

Ballistol is really good. Cleans me guns better than hoppes 9 and lubes too. However watch out for the lube affects, it's really greasy and makes your hand more slick than melted ice. Thumbs up for Ballistol. :thumbsup:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    He must buy it by the case. Is there a Hickok45 video where he doesn't say "let's try for that old can of Ballistol over there next..."?

I decided to give it a try after watching several hundred (all? :D) of his videos and gave up immediately after opening the container. The smell was too much. It smelled like burned licorice. :puke:

Eezox is my snake oil of choice, thanks in no small part to the awesome smell. Of course, I know more than a few folks who wretch at the thought of smelling Eezox, so as always, to each his own.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    Ballistol is especially effective with black powder firearms -- full strength or diluted, depending upon its application.

Karl/PA

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Chambersburg
    You can't go wrong with Ballistol. It was invented by Germany in WW1 when petroleum supplies were in short supply. Good for metal, wood and leather. Its food grade and makes a good fertilizer for the flower bed. It will darken leather but will keep it supple.

You clean with it by mixing it half and half with water to make "moose milk". Then use full strength for final overall lube.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Does exactly what it says on the can..!!

I use it on all my firearms for cleaning, although I tend to use high temp grease on all the moving parts after I've cleaned.

It's also a great general purpose lube, I now use this instead of WD40 on things like door hinges and various stuff around the house and on the car.

EDIT: Yes, it does stink..!! Try not to use the spray version in small confined areas, you will choke..!

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Ballistol is primarily mineral oil with some solvents, and is good for some things but not others. For example, if you have a decorative piece, it'll pull off gold or silver leaf. Also, nickel-plated firearms should not be cleaned with anything that is a copper remover, because there is a layer of copper under the nickel plate. Any imperfections in the nickel will allow the solvent to seep through (especially if left on for a while), eat the copper, and the nickel will flake.

Frankly, I dig wheel bearing grease (or slide glide) and synthetic motor oil for a shooter. Renaissance museum wax for a show piece.

I don't understand the need that some have to find a single "do it all" product.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    Yes. It's good stuff. I agree with all the above comments.

What impressed me the most was the conditioning effect it has with the metal.

After using it a few times, I found that the guns cleaned up much easier after shooting. I'm no scientist, but it seems like the repeated use of this stuff makes it more resistant to carbon and residue sticking. It can now just be almost wiped away where I used to have to scrub hard with brushes.

Feb 6, 2012
    I'm gonna get some next time I need to purchase a cleaning solvent for my guns. Hickok45 loves it, it has excellent reviews on every site I've checked out that sells it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have some for neutralizing corrosive ammo, may try it for gun storage when I run out of EEZOX which seems to have become like gold. Stuff must cause cancer for sure!

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Not directly related to Ballistol, but often overlooked... protect your eyes while you clean. Teach your kids to use eye protection. It's much cooler to have your vision than to have a scarred cornea, regardless of how the glasses look. Solvents, slivers of brass, brushes, other materials have a tendency to flick out or splatter or otherwise go places you don't want, and the last place you want them is in your eye.

You only get one pair and just like leaving your gun at home, or in the car, or unloaded... not using your personal protective equipment (PPE) when you should is equally worthless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom