• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Anyone else been noticing an increase in fox/other wildlife in their neighborhoods?

I heard of a coyote attack in aero acres/middle river a few weeks ago, and have personally seen a lot more fox than normal lately.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Much like the whitetail that actually increase in numbers when you provide them lots of nice suburban edge-type foliage to munch on, critters like foxes and raccoons are very adaptable and thrive in suburbia. More trash cans, more mice to eat, more rabbits munching on fertilized grass and gardens, more people feeding birds and squirrels. Personally, I love seeing our local fox tribe hunting the neighborhood every night. They're very familiar, and I know each of them individually on sight once they mature a bit. The owls love hunting suburban wildlife, too.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Been happening for about 20 years now. Increase in suburban areas means decrease in land that can be hunted. Prey animals thrive and attract the predators. As the developments went up in my area, the hunting got a whole lot better on my property.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I swear to a deity that there were at least TWENTY deer a couple of nights ago crossing from one small wooded area to another; in close proximity to my home. And I'n NOT out in the country.

I've never seen so many deer near here, since I've lived here. I wish I could hunt them down. Too many animal lovers living around me though. :rolleyes:

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I seen deer on a band-aid sized lot , it really is bad , all the land being developed around our work . A few months ago my brother freed a fawn stuck between our two gates , it was caught by the head my brother unlocked the gate and it ran and jumped over the fence .

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I haven't seen it myself, but neighbors have spotted a bald eagle in our neighborhood. I can't wait to see it firsthand.

For reference, when I was in elementary school (late 60's early 70's), bald eagles were almost extinct in the lower 48 states.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    I don't know if it's an indicator of increased population but I have seen more road kill raccoons in the last 2 or 3 years than I have ever seen.
    All over town, I live in Harford County, work in Howard County, and spend a lot of time in the Hagerstown area

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I think its hard to say. Some years food is plentiful and the wildlife hardly move, they dont need to. This year the deer are moving a lot. I dont really think that there are more (some years I have seen many many more), I simply think that the same deer are moving more.

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    I've got coyote pix on my trail cam this year in the Dundalk / Edgemere area. He has been coming periodically the last few weeks. I dont want to say exactly where he is since I'm hoping to put him in the trophy room!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191118-071528_SPYPOINT LINK.jpg
      Screenshot_20191118-071528_SPYPOINT LINK.jpg
      25 KB · Views: 388

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    I've got coyote pix on my trail cam this year in the Dundalk / Edgemere area. He has been coming periodically the last few weeks. I dont want to say exactly where he is since I'm hoping to put him in the trophy room!

Wow … Can you shoot them in your area, or will you need to trap him?

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    I could probably shoot him, it's a shotgun county here in Baltimore however I have my heart set on shooting him with the bow. Just need to figure out his time schedule.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    A symptom over over development. They have nowhere to go but where we are.

This. They are trying to adapt to THEIR changing environment.

There have been "studies" that suggest for a society to survive it must grow at X amount. I whole hardily disagree. History has shown that when cultures grow to large, they collapse. It starts with food deprivation and then destruction of the environment in an attempt to provide sufficient food. We are seeing the same results now on a global scale. This doesnt include the destruction due to just stupidity like mining for REE for all the environmentally "friendly" equipment or the disposal of all of our waste. We are on the verge of another mass extinction. We have surpassed the earths ability to sustain us.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Some of the farm fields here in LSD were up to 85% destroyed by deer this year. The farmers look forward to hunting season.

deputyG23

Oct 8, 2017
    Are there urban archery deer hunting opportunities in MD?
    My son lives in Rosedale and I kid him about setting up a stand in his townhouse balcony....deer out there regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom