• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Do the Limbsaver recoil pads help reduce recoil like the manufacturer claims they do? I've been wondering whether to attach one to my Remington 800. Thanks.

Cal68

It won't make it worse.

My dad has a Mossberg 930 JM Pro. Some people report issues, but aside from cleaning and fresh lube, his ran great. A couple FTF with light loads early on, but after maybe 100 shells, no problems. Easy to manage, and empties the tube as fast as you pull the trigger.

That said... I'd just use an AR. Even without a shoulder issue, the only benefits of a shotgun I can think of are a 2 inch pattern at 15 feet and slug stopping power.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My M1 Super 90 Kicks like a mule, much harder than any pump gun I have. Maybe the newer Benelli guns manage recoil better?

I’d go with low recoil shells or go to a 20 ga, OP.

My VERY limited experience is that the Benelli M4 does indeed seem to kick less than the M1 Super 90.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I currently have a remington 870 police edition, but I find that after 3 shoulder surgeries I can't take the kick. I have been reading that semi-auto shotguns divert some of the gas (ala AR-15) which reduces the kick. I figured I would try one before reducing the gauge to 20 gauge.

Suggestions on something that minimizes the kick and won't break the bank?

Thanks - stay COVID-19 free.

From an orthopedic standpoint, Avoid the pounding on your shoulder completely. Get an AR. From a home defense standpoint for any firearm to be effective you have to practice. You will really hurt your shoulder more practicing. Moreover, if you have to use it, the anticipated pain may make you hesitate or flinch and that can have detrimental consequences.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My VERY limited experience is that the Benelli M4 does indeed seem to kick less than the M1 Super 90.

It’s on my list to find!

Attachments

• 9564F8D0-A95A-419D-8FC2-AF8900D8F29B.jpg
      9564F8D0-A95A-419D-8FC2-AF8900D8F29B.jpg
      59.6 KB · Views: 274

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    my benelli m2 has been 100% no excuses reliable over a couple of years of 3 gun matches.

same for my benelli sbe2 - but only with full strength loads. because it's sprung for up to 3.5" shells, it's not 100% reliable with the soft stuff at skeet ranges nor the fed/win/rem regular loads at walmart. most of the time but not 100%.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    From an orthopedic standpoint, Avoid the pounding on your shoulder completely. Get an AR. From a home defense standpoint for any firearm to be effective you have to practice. You will really hurt your shoulder more practicing. Moreover, if you have to use it, the anticipated pain may make you hesitate or flinch and that can have detrimental consequences.

Yep.

AR or otherwise, what OP needs most IMO is something that he can....and will....shoot, and shoot often. And if it hurts to shoot, OP almost certainly isn't going to want to shoot. Can't say I'd blame him.

Nothing is more important IMO than to build and maintain familiarity with one's choice in home defense weapon. The only way to do that is through frequently having that weapon in your hands, and shooting it as much as possible. Be it an AR, a PCC, a lever action, a handgun or even if necessary a rimfire, the overriding concern IMO is what can (and what will) OP shoot, both often and well?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    so i highly recommend doing a match (or more) with guns you're planning to use to save your life. peacemaker (below hagerstown and above winchester) (when they get back up and running, like all the others) has a monthly 'super steel' match where you can use a shottie (or handgun or pcc...). basically run around and knock down falling steel, 20+ pieces per stage and normally 5-6 stages. you WILL get some great shotgun shooting and reloading practice. york and other clubs also have similar matches. find some and do some! and here's a free hint, you CAN miss with a shotgun...

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I currently have a remington 870 police edition, but I find that after 3 shoulder surgeries I can't take the kick.

I have ARs and they are part of the home defense plan, but shotguns are so good with Buck shot at so many things.

Buck shot is irrelevant if the recoil makes it such that you are compromised in the fight.
    Stick with the AR.

Any gun is suitable for home defense; you either have a gun or you don't.

Driver9

Apr 14, 2020
    Baltimore County
    I specifically bought a Benelli M4 because it's an easier gun on the shoulder. Have a decent amount of experience with a stock Mossberg 590 and found that it could be tough on the body with heavy loads. I found the M4 to be a very, very easy and fun gun to shoot and far more friendly for the girlfriend to shoot as well, a big part of why I went with it, the benefits of having a semi-auto shotgun notwithstanding.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

OP, FWIW, if you don't know dbledoc, this is his specialty. He's actually the doc I started with two years ago when I dislocated my AC joint.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    BlackHawk Knoxx recoil reducing stock and reduced recoil shells.

I shoot a lot of clays with a recoil reducing stock 870. The 870 shoots softer than any of the SA Benelli/Beretta that my buddies shoot.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Thinking outside the box....but could you learn to shoot left handed? Use the good shoulder?

That wouldn't be ideal for competition marksmanship competitions. But for a 5 yard max range with a shotgun? I feel like you could learn to be accurate and efficient enough for home defense with that pretty quick

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom