• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    WTF....it against the law to trap and relocate? Wrong! Let it be....I have one been here under the shed....now no more raccoons here. They mind their own business and no they are not destructive....unless you have a field of horses or cattle.....its a sin to kill anything unless you need it for food. Its just life consider yourself lucky....

Ever consider all the ants you kill while walking along a sidewalk?

It's a serious question.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    WTF....it against the law to trap and relocate? Wrong! Let it be....I have one been here under the shed....now no more raccoons here. They mind their own business and no they are not destructive....unless you have a field of horses or cattle.....its a sin to kill anything unless you need it for food. Its just life consider yourself lucky....

That groundhogs are destructive is not an opinion, it is a fact.
    One of their favorite places to dig burrows is under slabs and beside foundations.

JJakes

Aug 26, 2015
    They can damage the foundation under the shed. They mark their homes so if you get rid of this one, others will come and move in. Best to figure out how to prevent any others from getting in or you’ll be doing this for a few years.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They can damage the foundation under the shed. They mark their homes so if you get rid of this one, others will come and move in. Best to figure out how to prevent any others from getting in or you’ll be doing this for a few years.

Now that's the million dollar question, isn't it...

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015

Shoot the thing and post it on your property as a warning to others.!
    :lol:

Seriously, I would get rid of it. 22lr or 17hmr work pretty well, or even a good air rifle.

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    I prefer my .17 HMR or 55gr soft point .223

Attachments

• Groundhog.jpg
      Groundhog.jpg
      185.8 KB · Views: 266

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    The little ones are pretty good. I have never eaten a big one. My MIL has a huge one in her back yard I'm going to try to kill this weekend. I may give the big guy a try.

Yep. That's the only way I've ever eaten it, but it's damned good.

So if I get one you want it?
    I'm one of those who had if you kill it don't waste it pounded into their heads, and I've never been able get past it.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    I hear Carl Spackler isn't working right now, call him. He'll take care of it. (Yes. Caddyshack reference)

.22 should do it. let him run back in the hole and die in there. Pour enough course gravel into the hole to block it, followed by some fill dirt. Pack it down. Follow with a bag of Sakrete and wet it thoroughly. Make sure you are still about a foot below ground level. Fill the last foot with decent dirt. Plant some grass seed (perfect time for it right now). Water. Check in a week to make sure it hasn't settled. Make a little fake headstone for those that thought he was cute.

If he lives, he'll dig another way out. Start all over. practice better marksmanship, or use a bigger gun...

Last edited:

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Buzzards and coyotes gota eat too.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I hate the attitude that 'if humans don't eat it, it's wasted'. I never agreed with it. You didn't find your "dead" deer. Now it's gone to waste? Like you guys said, critters gotta eat.

Eoddave

Aug 9, 2018
    I have a buddy with a horse farm. We used to go over to shoot ground hogs for him. Horses breaking legs is very expensive. Now he said he just throws a pack of bubblegum in the hole. Supposedly something about it just clogged them up and kills them. All I know is we haven’t had to shoot any ground hogs in some time.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I have a buddy with a horse farm. We used to go over to shoot ground hogs for him. Horses breaking legs is very expensive. Now he said he just throws a pack of bubblegum in the hole. Supposedly something about it just clogged them up and kills them. All I know is we haven’t had to shoot any ground hogs in some time.

That’s not nearly as fun as a head shot with a 300 win mag though :)

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville

I wonder if that would work with other critters? Raccoons, possums, skunks, rats? Anyone have any idea?

Oh, OP if you can get to the hole under the shed shove in as much USED cat litter as you can...after a day or two, cover the hole up and see if chuckie opens it back up. Been my experience they do not return.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

No Joke, Dubble Bubble is supposedly the most effective. They die of intestinal obstruction. This is not pleasant (if it matters to you).
    bb953d108e6aa87baef8e1904c7bf61702.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom