• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Just finished replacing the seals in a .177 pellet pistol for a friend and I need a safe place to test it that will be legal near the Laurel area. He told me to have some fun.

It seems to be holding pressure and functioning as it should, but is too loud for me to consider firing it inside my apartment. I did fire it once with an empty chamber while pointed in a safe direction. I do not have a suitable backstop or pellet catcher so the search is on for an outdoor location or private property.

Hoping to find a place to fire a few rounds where the Marylandistan Gestapo will not get their panties in a wad. Ideally, the test would be use the majority of a CO2 cartridge until pressures show a drop. I estimate that firing around 50 rounds will be necessary to set the power adjustment and insure reliability. Just hate paying for range time if not using live ammunition in a firearm.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

If you have a place and would like the opportunity to shoot an older, high quality pellet pistol, shoot me a PM. Happy to share the fun.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    The back-stop when I shoot pellets in the basement is two layers of staple-up ceiling tiles. Easy peasy and really cheap. Just staple or thumb-tack your targets to the tile, or draw your target directly onto it.

If your apartment neighbors are decent folk, you could just tell them to expect a little noise for a little while. And if you don't want them to know what you're doing, the story could be you're using a nail gun for a little project :innocent0

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I made a small pellet trap and decided to try shooting in my apartment. Most of my neighbors make way more noise than I ever have so I cast that concern aside.

Loaded a pellet, cocked it and when I squeezed the trigger,... nothing. When I tried to release the pressure in the cylinder, the exhaust valve was stuck and could not be pulled back by hand.

Upon disassembly, I discovered the one seal that was not provided with the kit had failed and allowed the valve to travel too far and binding it up. Seems the seal is unobtainium but the entire valve part(new version) was available. It is shaped differently and although it seems to function okay, shooting it for a while is the only way to confirm it is reliable for my friend.

It is now reassembled with the new part and waiting for some Pellgunoil to arrive later today. If my pellet trap works well enough, I may just shoot until it runs out of CO2. On a lower power setting, that could take 60 rounds or more.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I appreciate the offers gents, but long drives are something that I do not tolerate well, these days. The pellet trap I made is strictly for testing function and the muzzle will be placed through a hole which should contain much of the noise and insure that no shot will miss the trap.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Update: The pellet trap worked better than expected. The testing went well and was spaced out over the day so no complaints were generated from the neighbors. Actually did most of the shooting from around 12' in my bedroom.

Wasn't expecting to have as much fun as I did and may have to acquire some pellet pistols in the future. Surely, plans for the shooting gallery will not be far behind. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom