• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Someday, I’ll get a .600 Nitro Express. Why? 900 grains at 2100 FPS.....that’s the Wrath of God right there.

Will you do the shoulder surgery yourself or give someone an iPhone to do it for you? (iPod won’t be enough)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Will you do the shoulder surgery yourself or give someone an iPhone to do it for you? (iPod won’t be enough)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be fun to shoot...once maybe. I’ve come home bruised from the range many a time before, only gun that ever stung me was the old Mosin M38 and M44- they kind of suck to shoot, for some reason they send chills when firing. All this makes me think about taking them back out, hurts so good.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    My wife has bought 3 Glocks and a Marlin in less than 2 months. I can't keep up with her :o

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    1/2 my AR lowers.

Attachments

• 327A44F6-F9EA-495F-A1F8-57B7C93593D4.jpg
      327A44F6-F9EA-495F-A1F8-57B7C93593D4.jpg
      88.4 KB · Views: 398

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    About a dozen, so a little light on uppers. LOL.

I also have a dozen assembled AR’s. I need therapy.

Best therapy is to build some more out. It’s a great Zen like experience. When your gun room looks like a NG Armory you know you’re winning and ultimately at peace.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Just a couple. Of course, my guns bring me great joy and that's priceless.

It's nice to have options. Will the folks coming to threaten my home be getting 55 grains at 3200 FPS from the AR, 200 grains at 3000 FPS from the .300 H&H mag, or .500 grains at 2100 FPS from the .458 Win Mag in their noggin?

I'd imagine that .500 grain projectile would make an amazing work of abstract art.

Someday, I’ll get a .600 Nitro Express. Why? 900 grains at 2100 FPS.....that’s the Wrath of God right there.

Burt, is that you?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Back To The Topic

Time to get back on the subject of the numbers of guns being sold.

The numbers are in for September and it looks like the panic buying has dried up the stock of available guns. The numbers for September are down from August however they are higher than the number of checks for the same month last year.

August 2019 vs September 2019
    2,366,824 vs 2,207,312

August 2020 vs September 2020
    3,115,063 vs 2,892,115

We also have already surpassed last years total which was the highest since the NICS checks started in 1998:

Total Number Of Background Checks for all of 2019 = 28,369,750
    Number Of Background Checks through September 2020 = 28,826,449

And we still have three months to go and may top 35 million for the year.

Obama was the best firearms salesman in history and we already have twice the number of checks compared to the year he took office.

Total number of checks in 2009 = 14,033,824

Last edited:

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Time to get back on the subject of the numbers of guns being sold.

The numbers are in for September and it looks like the panic buying has dried up the stock of available guns.

Thankfully, I suppose the AR-15 lower production capacity grew after the Sandy Hook and MD "A"WB rush, because back then I had great difficulty finding lowers, whereas I am still able to find lowers today.

I remember the best price at one point that I could get on a lower during the Sandy Hook rush was around $120 with a wait, whereas now I am still seeing lowers for $50 with no wait.

Back then I also had trouble getting rifle kits for the stripped lowers - no such issue now.

I had a pile of lowers in my gun safe that I've sold during this rush - I'm in Mississippi so it's much simpler - mainly to people who didn't own AR-15s but realized they needed to. Most of the fear is from riots. Most already owned pistols and shotguns, but no semi-autos that could hold off a riot like we've been seeing on the news. I live adjacent to Jackson, one of the largest cities in the area (albeit small) so the fear isn't unwarranted.

The ammo crunch, however, seems to be basically what it was then. Doesn't matter to me, I buy it cheap when it's cheap, so I always have a stockpile.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Time to update the numbers for October. Sorry I'm late but I got busy at election time.

One reason the numbers are going through the roof is https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=250414 it is a sticky and the first thread in this section of the forum.

The number of NICS checks in October was 3,305,465. Not the highest number of checks for a single month, which was June of this year at 3,931,607, but finding any guns to buy is getting difficult (guns are the new shortage just like toilet paper and paper towels in the spring).

The YTD number of NICS checks for this year through October 31 is 32,131,914 which already is more than any full years total since the NICS program was started in 1998, 22 years ago. It almost doubles the total for the full year in 2011.

The grand total for NICS checks since the inception of the program in 1998 through October of 2020 is 365,135,980.

An interesting note is in the first three months of this year more NICS checks were done than the total number of checks for any full year for the first seven years.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I think that NUMBER OF NICS checks remains an imperfect metric.

While it’s useful, I think there’s a helluva lot of recent off book sales and “loans” to family and close friends that will never be recorded and thus cannot be accounted for as number of firearms bought.

I further posit the off book transactions are the direct result of infringement and new “owners” strongly desiring privacy while feeling compelled to be better armed or armed at all.

Lastly, I suggest for your consideration that those off book transactions are: unknowable and unpredictable and have little if any statistical relationship with NICS checks other than they’re likely to rise and fall somewhat together. The pace and frequency of those slopes is not measurable.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I think that NUMBER OF NICS checks remains an imperfect metric.

While it’s useful, I think there’s a helluva lot of recent off book sales and “loans” to family and close friends that will never be recorded and thus cannot be accounted for as number of firearms bought.

I further posit the off book transactions are the direct result of infringement and new “owners” strongly desiring privacy while feeling compelled to be better armed or armed at all.

Lastly, I suggest for your consideration that those off book transactions are: unknowable and unpredictable and have little if any statistical relationship with NICS checks other than they’re likely to rise and fall somewhat together. The pace and frequency of those slopes is not measurable.

This thread reports NICS check numbers because that is one of the few metrics on the subject of firearms that exists. You are right it doesn't encompass off book sales or loans and it doesn't include stolen guns either. There are no good sources of actual numbers of firearms which is intentional and a good thing because it makes them harder to account for and harder to confiscate.

What it does do is give an indication of firearm related activity and clearly shows trends over time. It also is more closely attuned to new gun sales than secondary market sales and since I am interested in understanding the question of how many guns exist in private hands the secondary market is less important to me because it usually is simply a change in ownership of an already existing gun.

You are welcome to formulate and post your own metrics that you find meaningful to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom