• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Throughout the years I have always used one of my deer rifles instead of having a dedicated varmint gun. I've shot ground hogs with SKS, 30-30, 30-06, 270, and 300 Win Mag. I actually enjoy using deer rifles because I get more use out of them, I get to shoot them more at live game, and it is very good practice.

Groundhogs prompted me to buy my first small rifle when we moved onto our property about 15 years ago. I use a little Marlin .22 mag. My wife laughs at me when the height of ground hog activity comes around, usually when the mulberries drop - ground hogs LOVE mulberries!!-- I keep the rifle ready all the time then and constantly looking around for them.
    The little buggers must have some eyesight, cause any of them that get within 100 yards of the house seem to see me looking out the window and run for cover as soon as I crack a door open to come out and shoot at 'em. I have to go out the other side of the house and sneak around the corner and come back through the woods in a circuitous route to even have a chance of seeing 'em again and having any chance of a shot.
    Ridding the property of those little diggin' varmints has been a big priority to me. I even keep my Sig 229 handy when I work out in the back of the property and have gotten 2 of them with that.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I plan on going out tomorrow to see if I can get rid of a few on a friends farm.
    Started hunting them with my 30-06 when it was the only rifle I had, except a 22lr, then bought a Savage 110 in.243 win., set it up with a Bushnell 4x12 scope and a Harris bipod. Tommorrow I will take that and an Rem.R-15 in .223 with the same model scope and bipod.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I once ran one down in an open field and killed it with a length of rebar I had in my hand. LOL. Stupid thing had strayed too far from it's hole and got confused when it saw me and ran the wrong way.

Yeah, I used to nuisance trap them on some of the farms I fur trapped on. Plus hired to get rid of them and raccoons at a horse farm.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Been scountin em... but gotta wait til after I kill a thunder chicken, then the 223AR Varminator and some 40gr Nosler BT's will blowin up heads.. lol

plumberone

Aug 26, 2013
    Millers, Maryland
    Number 8

AR 116 yards

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      230.2 KB · Views: 705

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    when we built the calvert marine museum in solomons we had ground hog problems. holes everywhere. I tripped and fell more than a few times. one day while marking rafters with my framing square I saw one between me and the bulkhead at the water. I ran to kill it but to my surprise it jumped overboard. I walked down to look and it was standing on the piledrivers barge. I jumped down and cornered him and beat him to death with my square. the bad thing was one of those tree hugging science people saw me and I got an ass chewing from the super. it was worth it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom