• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • plumberone

Aug 26, 2013
    Millers, Maryland
    I've switched to using a Smith & Wesson M&P 15, .223
    Burris 3 X Prism scope
    Fiocchi 50 grain v- max polymer tip bullets.
    Yesterday, 162 yards

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      204.4 KB · Views: 492

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    :lol2: No, I died from PI after retrieving that arrow!!

He was climbing a tree... a rare thing for a groundhog, but... I was in my tree stand, where I have killed quite a few. He climbed a few feet up the sapling, stopped and fell quite quickly... LOL

I have to dig back a bit.. I do have clean headshot with a bow on a computer here somewhere..

They love to climb Mulberry trees to eat the leaves. I have a weeping ornamental one in my yard an I've killed a couple GHs for noshing on it. I have to use a bow.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I've got one who keeps digging up one corner of my barn. I always see the hole and fill it in but he must be a ninja because I am never witness to him re-excavating. Need him dead ASAP.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Well

Sure wish I had a place to shoot them. Thought my friend'd FIL's dairy farm was going to come around but he was worried about bothering neighbors???????? I have a 5M I'm dying to try on these varmints. IMO a .22LR is inadequate unless a head shot. I can put a can on my .17 HMR and .22 Mag. Can't quiet down the .243 unlit I get it threaded.Even so it and my AR will be loud.

.22lr is what I got and have put down lots of the buggers with it.
    I'm on an acre so I don't have very long shots. It seems to work quite well! One of my neighbors calls me when she spots one!
    August 2015: Spotted - 13 , Kills - 11
    two more to go

Edit date and kills

Last edited:

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Our deck and shed seem to be varmint magnets. Last 12 years: 53 groundhogs, 8 polecats, 4 feral cats, and a couple dozen warf rats. About a third with .22LR at up to 40 yards, other 2/3 or so with double spring trap.

Four so far this year... all by 22.

Since they keep digging under the deck skirting, I oblige by setting the trap in their access burrow. Doesn't take but a day or so before they're fox food...

:innocent0:
    I don't care how much of a hard ass ya are when you ignite it you giggle like a school girl :D

Like I said earlier - I get shots at them most often while working around my property, not really true hunting.
    I once had a fit of ground hog hatred fueled rage when a particular fuzzy bastard keep getting away every time I saw him poke his head out - by the time I got the gun up he'd haul-azz back down his hole. If I did manage a shot, I'd miss. I happened to be working with some power equipment that time and had a gas can handy -- In my rage, I poured about 2 gallons down the hole right behind him, a little "fuze" trail out a few feet and lit it off - kind of a WOOOF - POOOF and smoke came out both holes for few minutes...never knew if I got him, roasted or smoked to death, but it sure did make me feel better!:D Wife started calling me Carl (Caddyshack).

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    One so far this year. Each year it is 1 to 3 of them. Same shot to same place ... my back porch to a treeline out back, 75 yards.

Mullberrys are starting to come out. They're green now, but will ripen and start dropping eventually...and that's like crack to the fat-fuzzies on my place, so I'm sure they will be coming out a lot more soon.....

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I've killed 7 this week. Shooting a Savage model 93 in .17hmr.
    Longest was 120 yards.
    Last year longest kill was 180 yards.
    I'm looking for a gun to reach out further with, any one care to make recommendations?

Hey, can I pay you to come out to my place and kill six of them? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom