• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Just seeing this thread for the first time, I would love to try distance shooting with my friend Mike's(God rest his soul) Rem. 700 .338 win mag. Although I will not post up for a spot as my time is very limited due to work... and work ... oh yeah...and more work, my post here serves 2 purposes... 1 is to thank you for being such a generous person and an ambassador to shooting sports, but also to subscribe to this thread so I may stay updated if my schedule were to change and I might be afforded an opportunity to stretch out. Again, thank you for this very generous offer.

First set of invites went great. Productive criticism on describing how to get to the field too. Hahah. He didn’t get lost, all is well.

Targets weren’t too bad but definitely a challenge.

200 yards: shotgun clays to confirm zero enough.
    200 yards: 4x6 dueling tree
    250-257 yards: shotgun clays 4.25 inches?
    538 yards: small torso gong (dvd case size)
    540 yards: more shotgun clays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dual dueling tree at 200yds was a hoot. .300 Win Mag vs, 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Thanks for the invite.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Just seeing this thread for the first time, I would love to try distance shooting with my friend Mike's(God rest his soul) Rem. 700 .338 win mag.

my post here serves 2 purposes... 1 is to thank you for being such a generous person and an ambassador to shooting sports, but also to subscribe to this thread so I may stay updated if my schedule were to change and I might be afforded an opportunity to stretch out. Again, thank you for this very generous offer.

Would love to have you out. There is special bonding with your friend via his firearms. I hold the same for some also. It’s rough but it’s... a fantastic reminder of your friendship. Don’t let it rot.

Thank You for your kind words. It doesn’t cost me anything to share and I get smiles and joy out of it. They get something they don’t normally get or have never done. Everyone benefits.

Check your PMs, I sent one. And check out the website.. there might be openings still or secondary slots.

If things continue like yesterday, it’s likely this will happen every year Feb - June.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Dual dueling tree at 200yds was a hoot. .300 Win Mag vs, 6.5 Creedmoor.

Thanks for the invite.

Hahah. Yes it was. It’s more fun if I use the full size one. And we go semi auto. First to flip all targets wins. Too hard to do 300win mag. Knocks the snot out of them hahaa.

Glad you enjoyed it. Maybe kick it out to 540 next time for a challenge.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I just wanted to thank Moorgovi for hosting a shooting session this past weekend. It takes a lot of careful planning to allow shooters on your property. I appreciate the attention and focus on safety.

With his permission I just wanted to share a short video clip. Not the best group. I dont think I’ve ever shot a target resting on the ground. At 540yds a clay bird in the grass on a cloudy day is tough to see with my 52yr old eyes.

Anyway enjoy.

https://youtu.be/EkLPPuOeiAc

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus
    Thanks to Moorgovi for having me out this weekend. The clays at 540 were a challenge. It is a great location and great company with the added bonus of a campfire to you keep you warm during the snow flurries.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Feb. 22, 2020 - 100+ Virgin

Today both guests had to back out but it worked out because a secondary person was able to backfill the the slot. Top it off with; this guest had never shot past 100yards.

We zeroed his rifle then Kentucky windage got 3 shots on shotgun clays at 200 yards in only 3-4 misses. He was stoked. I let him shoot one of my rifles at a dvd sized gong at 540 yards. Wind grabbed the bullet and juuuuust missed it but he was already starting to glow. Got it on the next shot though.

I’ve decided to put wind veins (flags) at the target out yonder. It lets you get real-time indicator of the wind direction and speed. We found about 80% of the time... it’s NOT doing what you feel in your face.

Reading wind direction via heat mirage helps but the flags will assist for the last 20 yards. Wind was 3 different directions with 2-15 mph wind. Hahah made reading wind critical with little 22-250.

We had a blast.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Feb. 22, 2020 - 100+ Virgin

Today both guests had to back out but it worked out because a secondary person was able to backfill the the slot. Top it off with; this guest had never shot past 100yards.

We zeroed his rifle then Kentucky windage got 3 shots on shotgun clays at 200 yards in only 3-4 misses. He was stoked. I let him shoot one of my rifles at a dvd sized gong at 540 yards. Wind grabbed the bullet and juuuuust missed it but he was already starting to glow. Got it on the next shot though.

I’ve decided to put wind veins (flags) at the target out yonder. It lets you get real-time indicator of the wind direction and speed. We found about 80% of the time... it’s NOT doing what you feel in your face.

Reading wind direction via heat mirage helps but the flags will assist for the last 20 yards. Wind was 3 different directions with 2-15 mph wind. Hahah made reading wind critical with little 22-250.

We had a blast.

That sounds awesome. Wind is almost never doing what it feels like in your face

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When I did my shots at 1200 yards, the wind was left to right at firing point. Right to left at mid range. And left to right at the target. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom