• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    I have the opportunity to fulfill a childhood dream an buy a lever gun. I am looking at the Marlin 336bl and 336 Dark. Would a vg6 gamma be a suitable muzzle device for the Marlin. I know the gamma is designed around the ar15 platform. Will it still function well on a 30-30 lever gun?

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Congrats on a (any) dream fulfilled!

At present, I dream about the day I receive my 20” bbl Stainless .357/.38Spl Model 92 back from Rossi (now a subsidiary of Taurus); got it brand new but alas, less than a box of ammo through it and the chamber in it it was defective and splitting factory new .38Spl brass. I also asked them to straighten the front sight, sigh. They’ve had it since Thanksgiving so, I hope to get it back by end of February. Sigh.

You won’t have any issues like that out of a good ol’ Marlin - I don’t have a clue about any muzzle devices but, do stock up on ammo or, even better, start reloading for it! (Couple weeks back CDNN Investments had a sh*t-ton of Federal 30-30, 25-06, 22-250 for some darn attractive prices. I seriously f’ed up not really, really taking advantage of that sale ... hrmph!

Edit: 30-30 is all gone (surprise, not) but, darn if they don’t have 22-250 and 25-06 left!
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/ammunition.html#

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I have really enjoyed the marlin 1894 in 44mag that I picked up on an impulse buy a few years ago. I did need to smooth out the internals a bit to get it operating how I want. I also sent it off to be cut down to 16 in and threaded for a suppressor. I now mostly just run very light handloads through it that are subsonic. It is sometimes nice to put full house 44 mag loads through it without the suppressor. It would be a great 150 ish yard deer gun.

The choice of the pistol caliber was a good one for me because I already reload 44 mag. Depending on your use for the gun, getting a 30-30 that is threaded and using a suppressor isn’t going to be that quiet because 30-30 isn’t subsonic.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Have levers and like them a lot. Just something about them for me. Always looking for the older ones without the safety on them as that just seems wrong to me for a lever.

Factory threaded is the way to go now as there are a couple options out there. Moving the sight and mag tube to thread a normal one is a bit $$ and there isn't a lot of meat on the barrel to make a good shoulder. That is why factory ones are a bit thicker at the threads, so the device has a good shoulder to lock against.

30-30 is a great option but more $$ to shoot than pistol cal ones. Best to reload if you're looking to run things like that sub.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I have a Winchester 94 for hunting nostalgia purposes. I can see why it is such a popular deer rifle. Very handy in eastern woods and quick follow ups make it a delight to go afield with it.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Winchester 3030 here and I live it. Want some more. But the bank account says wait.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    A tidy little Rossi in 44 mag, and an Uberti '73 Winchester (very pretty) in 45 LC. Like 'em both, don't shoot 'em nearly often enough.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have a Winchester 94 for hunting nostalgia purposes. I can see why it is such a popular deer rifle. Very handy in eastern woods and quick follow ups make it a delight to go afield with it.

Winchester 3030 here and I live it. Want some more. But the bank account says wait.

I have a Model 94 Ranger too. Had a nice one stolen from me many decades ago, and eventually replaced it with my current one.

They are very flat shooting and it's one of my few rifles that I can still use the iron sights very well out to a hundred yards. I am very accurate with it and I have to say that it is very surprising for me. Not that I'm a bad shot overall, but the accuracy of this rifle is phenomenal.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    The usual advice for buying a Marlin 336 is to try and find a JM stamped gun made before Remington took over. I would not buy a new one sight unseen. Check it over carefully. The newer ones made recently are supposed to be better than the ones made shortly after the Remington take over.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have a few though not all have been fired...

Marlin Model 39-A and Winchester 9422...
    Marlin-Winchester.jpg

Marlin 1894S .44 Magnum...
    Marlin-1894-S.jpg

John Wayne 100th Birthday Winchester...
    Duke-1892-100th.jpg

Winchester "Duke" Commemorative...
    Duke-1894-commemorative.jpg

Winchester "Teddy Roosevelt" Carbine...
    Teddy-Roosevelt-carbine.jpg

Winchester "Teddy Roosevelt" rifle...
    Teddy-Roosevelt-rifle.jpg

Taylor & Company 1892 "Rio Bravo"...
    P1010095.jpg

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    The usual advice for buying a Marlin 336 is to try and find a JM stamped gun made before Remington took over. I would not buy a new one sight unseen. Check it over carefully. The newer ones made recently are supposed to be better than the ones made shortly after the Remington take over.

^^^There is much truth to this.^^^

Sadly, Marlin is not what it used to be. :sad20:
    And just as sad, neither is Remington . . . :mad54:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I have the opportunity to fulfill a childhood dream an buy a lever gun. I am looking at the Marlin 336bl and 336 Dark. Would a vg6 gamma be a suitable muzzle device for the Marlin. I know the gamma is designed around the ar15 platform. Will it still function well on a 30-30 lever gun?

It will be fine, assuming you get the 7.62 version. Might be an issue with the sights seeing past it, but it's fairly narrow, so it might work as-is.

moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    Had a Henry with the steel receiver in .357 Magnum/.38 Special for a couple of years. Lovely rifle. If Henry comes out with a side-loading rifle in that caliber, I'll buy one. Lever guns are nothing but fun. :)

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    my levers are mundane but I love them all. dad got me my first real gun as kid, winchester 22 lever, I think it came from western auto. got a couple 30-30's and a 45-70 now to go with it. would love to add a pistol caliber lever also at some point. cannot decide between 357 and 44 tho.

seems like the older I get the more I gravitate back to lever rifles and revolvers.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I turned a bunch of gift cards into a Rossi R92 in .357 magnum 6 or so years ago. The 16" blued carbine. LOVE IT. I think a .44mag would have been just as fun. I spent about 12 hours polishing internals and replacing some parts with aftermarket offerings to make it what I wanted it to be. Added a leather wrap. It's very slick, and surprisingly accurate. Also the trigger was excellent out of the box, which I was not expecting.

I also have a Henry case hardened edition 45-70. Less handy with its longer barrel but tons of fun still. It's not quite what I want it to bet yet. Probably going to need to add some Skinner sights or something to really get what I want out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom