• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I like slicked up . Want to buy once . Want start with an upgrade . 1300 is not out of reach. Want functionality, not pressed on checkered stock / cosmetics so to speak .Want it to go bang every time.

Not Rossi or Henry. Uberti is fine. Ubertis are solid guns and in your price range.

Not in the ads any longer but it may be available.

Winchester Model 1873 45LC , short-rifle, blued steel, circa 2013. Tuned up by Cash Caldwell. (asking $950). Pictures available on request. Contact Mike Maher 301-751-3134 mike20643@yahoo.com (12/19)

If you want to come play Cowboy, Anne Arundel Fish & Game, Annapolis. Normally the third Saturday, but range improvements may impact March.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    My old boss cowboy shoots which spiked my interest. Went and shot in Damascus at a SASS clinic. Anyway a Taylor / Uberti comancharo was suggested to me . Wow hell of a price tag . Wonder should I get and tune up later , that’s like an extra 500 per Taylor website . Is there that much of a difference . Guess that’s a rhetorical question. Just a lot of money . Watched some videos of people having issues that I do not want, feed and ejection issues.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The customized Taylor's are done by a near by 'smith with a nation rep in the CAS world .

Is it worth it in the context of already done vs sending a basic Uberti to him and paying for the tuning and short stroke conversion ? Yes

Is it worth $1500 to * You * ? Only you can decide . Are hundredths of a second shot to shot meaningful to you ? Do you want a Racegun , or a general purpose carbine ?

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    I don’t feel I will ever be that competitive . To answer a general purpose that I can use for cas in 357 , reliable,definitely would have to hunt with it at least once or twice. I want reliability . Some of the stuff Ive been reading about Henry and Rossi has me spooked on them. Reading about the Uberti 73 I’m concerned with the linkage handling 357 factory loads . Don’t plan on shooting hot loads or being abusive to it and shoot 38 for cas . Asking questions because I just don’t know just don’t have the experience with pistol rounds , been reading doing some homework , trying to. It’s a lot of money to spend. Looking to see and I think a 92 and 94 are internally different than a 73. I’m asking .from what I seen on the ole you tube I feel I could polish up the action .Have an email into Taylor&Company see what they recommend/say. But a race gun for hundredth of a second is not worth that extra money to me .

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I don’t feel I will ever be that competitive . To answer a general purpose that I can use for cas in 357 , reliable,definitely would have to hunt with it at least once or twice. I want reliability . Some of the stuff Ive been reading about Henry and Rossi has me spooked on them. Reading about the Uberti 73 I’m concerned with the linkage handling 357 factory loads . Don’t plan on shooting hot loads or being abusive to it and shoot 38 for cas . Asking questions because I just don’t know just don’t have the experience with pistol rounds , been reading doing some homework , trying to. It’s a lot of money to spend. Looking to see and I think a 92 and 94 are internally different than a 73. I’m asking .from what I seen on the ole you tube I feel I could polish up the action .Have an email into Taylor&Company see what they recommend/say. But a race gun for hundredth of a second is not worth that extra money to me .

Here is another (old) thread all about cowboy action shooting. You can probably find a lot of good information in there.

A place to discuss Cowboy Action Shooting, SASS events, the gear and the clothes.

Gun pictures appreciated. Feet should have boots on.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I used to shoot SASS. I started with a Winchester 94 in 45 Colt. Then I picked up a Rossi 92 in 357. The actions required deliberately running the lever to cycle the action. I found it easy to short stroke the lever stroke, which caused jams. I switched to a toggle action and it is a lot easier to run the gun. It is a used Uberti, got it for $700. All but one of my SASS guns are used. Since most of SASS is made up of old people, a lot of good, used, already race ready guns are up for sale. The SASS Wire is a good place to look.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I find a Model 94 to be nimble to handle with great balance. It points naturally. It's probably the lighter of the two, and is a John Browning design. One of the best selling firearms in US history. If buying a used US factory production, seek a pre-1964 model for some better internals and a receiver that is less prone to rust or discoloration. Otherwise the current ones that they sell built in the Japanese factory are exquisite firearms with great bluing and fit and finish.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    What is the "better" .30-30, a Winchester 94 or a Marlin 336? Looking to get one eventually.

It's a six-of-one-half-dozen-of-the-other kind of thing. Both are good but push come to shove I'd take the Marlin...they fit me better and I like the solid receiver/side ejection better.

That being said...much depends on when any individual example was made. Marlin pretty much hit the skids when Remington's corporate ownership bought them. The story was Marlin was in bad shape anyway...the tooling was worn out and the older craftsmen were only able to build them by experience and memory due to the worn tooling. One reason Marlins are expensive now is due to the cost of new tooling.

Winchester has for years had periods of outstanding and lesser quality control. Pre-'64 products bring a premium...newer examples are still serviceable but quality can be spotty.

Essentially...look at both...shoulder them and see if either feels natural to you. Every one is different in some way.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Disregarding different eras of mfg for both , it's a Ford vs Chevy type thing .

Unless you are so misguided as to want a scope , then advantage Marlin .

Or unless you are really cutting edge , and don't care about being seen as quirky , the Savage 99 .

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Don’t over look the Henry. Soon, if not already available with a side loading gate, and solid drilled and tapped receiver in 30/30.

I find the 94 fits me and my needs, but would take a 336, no problem. Just replace factory rear sight with a peep. Shrank my groups dramatically.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Unless you are so misguided as to want a scope , then advantage Marlin .

3 of my 4 lever guns run scopes, and I like them that way. diff strokes diff folks I guess. Mine are tools, and scopes help my old eyes make better use of those tools.

my personal preference has always been for the pistol grips, which seemed more readily available in the Marlins, but i do have a winchester with a straight stock that I will probably never part with either.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Resurrecting this thread. I am in the market for a lever gun. I had a Rossi 94 but it was junk, I was about to throw it in the trash at Delmarva but decided to sell it to them with the action jammed. I know what the issue was but after taking it apart and fixing twice getting two rounds down the tube then it jamming up again I had had enough. Cross pin kept coming loose even after peening it.

Anyway I am looking at the Marlin 1894 dark and the S&W 1854 as options. I want a threaded barrel and .44mag. Any thoughts from you guys? Not interested in Henry etc. Only the Marlin and the S&W.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I have three or four old Win 94’s. I saw one even older than mine at the Chantilly show a few weeks back. 1928 I think it was. Unfortunately the price just didn’t sit well with me so I kept walking. I like the old levers but I never get around to shooting them.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Resurrecting this thread. I am in the market for a lever gun. I had a Rossi 94 but it was junk, I was about to throw it in the trash at Delmarva but decided to sell it to them with the action jammed. I know what the issue was but after taking it apart and fixing twice getting two rounds down the tube then it jamming up again I had had enough. Cross pin kept coming loose even after peening it.

Anyway I am looking at the Marlin 1894 dark and the S&W 1854 as options. I want a threaded barrel and .44mag. Any thoughts from you guys? Not interested in Henry etc. Only the Marlin and the S&W.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I've got a 1955 vintage Marlin 39A, the first rifle I ever fired. If you find one, grab it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom