• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    My CB radio has an EXT SPK and PA jack on the back. My Bearcat scanner has EXT SPK and a REC jacks. What is the difference between a PA and REC jack?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have noticed that marine VHF and railroad VHF have some overlap. At first I thought this was a bad idea and then I realized if there was a bridge accident it could be a good idea. If railroad goes full digital they lose that bridge accident interactive communication ability. Also if they use digital on the overlap frequencies it could be a very bad thing for emergency marine communication.

While they may be in the same band, at no time does a railroad have any active frequencies on a Marine frequency, two completely different services and two completely different licenses.

Now, a railroad may have a Marine frequency in their radios where needed, but those strictly Marine frequencies and not railroad frequencies and as such, cannot be digital.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    My CB radio has an EXT SPK and PA jack on the back. My Bearcat scanner has EXT SPK and a REC jacks. What is the difference between a PA and REC jack?

PA is "public address". There is a PA button on the radio. Push it and whatever you say into the mic will go out to whatever is plugged into the PA jack (usually a PA horn).

Can't speak authoritatively, but I'd bet REC is just a line-level audio out jack intended to be used with a tape recorder.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Picked up this CB to let MM Jr. and Mr. T play with while I try to entice them to get their amateur licenses.

Threw it on the front seat while commuting this morning. Truckers were complaining about traffic in Frederick on Ch 19; one guy was chatting (in Spanish) about his kids on Ch 38 ... my rusty Spanish had trouble keeping up. All other channels were quiet.

I will run it again on the drive home tonight.

Attachments

• president_andy_cb.jpg
      president_andy_cb.jpg
      46.3 KB · Views: 330

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You haven't looked at the stuff at big truck stops or the online sales places for CB. Its actually still rocking. Tens of thousands of CB videos on Youtube

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think they will sell more radios, that's about all this is about.

Yeap.

Need something to push to get people to buy and use it.

Like when the extra channels came out. For MANY years, they were worthless, as there were so few people with radios that had them.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    That will happen right after the GMRS license fee actually drops to $35.

It's already happening, Uniden is already working to make sure the FM option is in CBs by the end of the year.

PaFrank

Apr 2, 2020
    I still have my 23 channel CB on the shelf somewhere in the gun room.. I had so much fun with it back in the day, I couldn't bear to part with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom