• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    I have a base station CB at the house (An old Royce from the 70s). I just hook it up to my ham radio antenna tuner and antenna.

In my truck, I have a Cobra 29.

I think FRS is equally as important. While not everyone has a CB, many close neighbors will have FRS radios. My kids use them to talk to the kids a few doors down very often.

I had a Teaberry "Model T" radio and D-104 (lollipop) mike. Tube set. Nice radio.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    That was probably a D-104 mike we called a "lollipop". It "pinged".
    I actually own a D-104 'Silver Eagle' that I bought in the 70s. Still one of my favorite radio room decorations.

The stock mic for the CB is the one that is hilarious looking, about three times as big as it needs to be and with enough chrome to dress up an 18-wheeler's grill...

Doc1964

May 23, 2014
    both are AM but the big difference is that a plain CB is 5 watts max transmitter and a Single Side band is 12 watts max. SSB transmits on the left or right of the carrier wave but the carrier wave is suppress. this let's the signal ricochet and travel farther. both plain AM and SSB can bounce off the ionosphere at night going real long. i used to talk dundalk to OC at night on ssb with a straight stick on a rowhome. we also had a 1969 ford van with dual mirror mounted 15 ft whip antennas at a 45 degree like a fishing boat. it was like a rolling base station.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    C. W. McCall approves of this thread.

eruby = The Galloping Ghost (from his salad days).

Might have been KADH 3518

Funny you say that. I used to play with these things in the 80's and 90s and actually got rid of the one I had just a year or two ago (I hadn't used in at least 20 years). Anyway during the quarantine I just got the itch to pick up one cheap with SSB (never had one before). Got a CW McCall Midland 40 channel w/SSB. This one is likely one of the first 40 channel models to come out back in 77 I believe.

Anyway sorry to get off track. I was looking at a Uniden 980 Bearcat but didn't want to spend that much on it, but it seems to have gotten good reviews, has a lot of features (SSB & weather) and was on sale at Best Buy for about 120$. From there the cost for SSB models goes up pretty sharply.

You could try Ebay for a used one but people were asking a lot of money for SSB models, whether they worked or didn't know whether they worked. There did seem to be quite a few base stations for decent prices but I wanted a mobile unit instead.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    This thread has gotten me thinking about CB radio again. Is there still any SSB activity? Is there any SSB activity in the lower 23 channels? 16 used to be a popular SSB channel but i think that might be one of the "superbowl" channels now.

I just got my first SSB unit a few weeks ago. Still trying to make a contact, whenever I hear something come up on USB or LSB it ends up just being a regular AM signal.

There is a decent amount of AM traffic in my area though. I heard 6 & 11 were the superbowl channels, and I definitely heard traffic on 6 that was from a juiced up rig or the people talking were right near me.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    My neighbor kid used to have a CB base station with a hot linear amp and he would broadcast over our tv, radio and phones.
    After a couple polite complaints I just cut the coax and twisted the leads together then warned next time it’d be 240v attached to them.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I just got my first SSB unit a few weeks ago. Still trying to make a contact, whenever I hear something come up on USB or LSB it ends up just being a regular AM signal.

There is a decent amount of AM traffic in my area though. I heard 6 & 11 were the superbowl channels, and I definitely heard traffic on 6 that was from a juiced up rig or the people talking were right near me.

I flip-flopped between choosing regular and SSB CB's. I ended up just choosing the regular (non-SSB) since I thought it was still more popular than SSB.

I "was" going to get that Bearcat 980 but settled for the 880 since I got a good deal on it @ a Flying J truckstop too....

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Currently running a Motorola 40 channel with no SSB options. Surplus MDOT/MSP unit.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Currently running a Motorola 40 channel with no SSB options. Surplus MDOT/MSP unit.
    I have one of those too, they are great. I'd love to find the SSB version but they are all pretty rare.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have one of those too, they are great. I'd love to find the SSB version but they are all pretty rare.

I haven't run across one with the SSB option in quite a while.

I'm also looking for a lowband CDM750 to play with.

Feb 28, 2013
    There is not a lot of traffic out there (like there used to be in to 70's and 80's) but I renewed my interest in them just for the Interstates. Truckers out there are still using them.

Yup... I got my Cobra 29 in the Pete. Im the only guy at work that runs one

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

I have an old Motorola Mocat 40 channel unit from the 70's, but like so many of them, the mic went bad. I'd love to find a way to put it back in service.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I flip-flopped between choosing regular and SSB CB's. I ended up just choosing the regular (non-SSB) since I thought it was still more popular than SSB....
    SSB is in addition to the regular AM channel, so a typical CB SSB rig will do it all. Each designated channel will have a center frequency, the main channel, plus an upper and lower sideband is available. With straight 40 channel AM, you get 40 places to talk, With a 40 channel SSB rig, you have 120 places to talk, and the SSB channels do permit additional power.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have an old Motorola Mocat 40 channel unit from the 70's, but like so many of them, the mic went bad. I'd love to find a way to put it back in service.

I'll check it out for you if you want, any clue if it's the mic or the cord, or what??

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    SSB is in addition to the regular AM channel, so a typical CB SSB rig will do it all. Each designated channel will have a center frequency, the main channel, plus an upper and lower sideband is available. With straight 40 channel AM, you get 40 places to talk, With a 40 channel SSB rig, you have 120 places to talk, and the SSB channels do permit additional power.

You still only have 40 channels, if someone is talking AM on ch 40, then there is no space for you to talk on USB or LSB on ch 40.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    i still have my rig with uppers and lowers in it as well. I brought it from the cb shop at the truck stop in Jessup about 20yrs ago and it still works but i need to get an antenna and new mic for it as well. i have a 12 power supply already so that is no problem at all plus I also have my swr meter as well.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Having over 40 years in the truckin' industry... I might have a few things in the basement that need the dust blown off...:innocent0

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I'll check it out for you if you want, any clue if it's the mic or the cord, or what??

Oh no. I got rid of it...right before help arrives. Timing has never been my strong suit.

Thanks for the offer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom