• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve never shot one but I think I would buy a governor or judge before I bought a 410 shotgun for home defense. Same versatility in a more compact easy to maneuver package, jam proof, simple to operate. Rossi circuit judge would give you a stock.

As for 20 gauges the Benelli M2 would be my choice.

410 handguns spread FAST though. Which could be an advantage at point blank range, but if for some crazy reason you did have to shot at 20-30yds odds are reasonably high you aren’t going to hit what you are pointing at (unless it’s a barn). Also reduced energy and for a handgun, sharp recoil/low rate of fire.

A .410 with 000 buck is nasty still and my kids can shot it without problem.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Utas UTS-15

Short Bullpup design, 2 selectable tube mags, plus on chambered.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200416-113345_File Manager.jpg
      Screenshot_20200416-113345_File Manager.jpg
      32.8 KB · Views: 299
    From an orthopedic standpoint, Avoid the pounding on your shoulder completely. Get an AR. From a home defense standpoint for any firearm to be effective you have to practice. You will really hurt your shoulder more practicing. Moreover, if you have to use it, the anticipated pain may make you hesitate or flinch and that can have detrimental consequences.

If one single post should be read in this thread, this would be the one.
    An orthopedic surgeon who is also a firearms enthusiast, should be listened to.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    For those who skipped over post #3, the "why not AR" was answered there... the OP does indeed have an AR and its all part of the plan.

How can someone make a plan requiring a certain type of firearm at each step?

2 rounds from the shotgun, run to the corner for a pistol, then ultimately get the AR and make the stopping shot with that?

If part of your "plan" is to fight to go to another gun, then you are losing sight of the fight you are indeed in right at that crucial moment.

Your plan might consist of having that "special gun" in your final position of dominance. The gun that is part of your plan, typically would be the one you started the fight with.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    From an orthopedic standpoint, Avoid the pounding on your shoulder completely. Get an AR. From a home defense standpoint for any firearm to be effective you have to practice. You will really hurt your shoulder more practicing. Moreover, if you have to use it, the anticipated pain may make you hesitate or flinch and that can have detrimental consequences.

When we started sporting clays, we went to Cherokee Rose south of Atlanta. The head guy was a Brit who had won many championships.

One time we were talking about the pounding. He said, "feel this" and put my hand on his right shoulder, and moved his shoulder. I can still recall the grinding feel. NOT GOOD.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thinking outside the box....but could you learn to shoot left handed? Use the good shoulder?

That wouldn't be ideal for competition marksmanship competitions. But for a 5 yard max range with a shotgun? I feel like you could learn to be accurate and efficient enough for home defense with that pretty quick

Actually, if he is left eye dominate, this would be a great answer. And make him even better at competitive shotgun events.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    If you aren’t shooting 1000’s of rounds per year a Remington 1100 1187 are pretty good and easy on recoil.

For more money, the FN SLP and whatever the Winchester version is (sx2?) are soft shooting and mine has gone an entire 3gun season without cleaning it.

The VersaMax is also pretty soft shooting.

An 870 with the Knox stock does reduce recoil but it feels weird as hell shooting it. We are testing them at work and I’m not a fan but it does fit the bill for the stated goal.

Federal low recoil buck is what we use at work. It isn’t soft but it’s softer than full power loads.

Out of everything I’ve shot, I would say the FN is the softest because it is gas operated and is a pig in the weight department.

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    a pistol grip mossy 500 is still stout even with the shorty shells. i have not fired a shockwave, might want to rent or borrow one. i usually recommend a youth 20 gauge to non-gun people for home use. this may still kick a lot. my franchi kicks and muzzle-rise was a problem

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Benelli semi-auto shotguns are very expensive, but perhaps a used one might be in your budget.
    My wife has a 20 Ga benelli monte..... auto. If it is not placed properly in the shoulder, it will hurt you after a while. How about a pistol grip, no butt stock, point and shoot. Short shells? No impact on the shoulder?

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    There’s definitely a huge variety of opinions here. One of the things I’ve noticed from shooting hundreds of different shotguns is this:

If you are shooting the same load through a shotgun the following factors will affect felt recoil. (Same load implies ~1200fps, same load per gauge, weight of load will vary by gauge)

1. Weight of fun regardless less of action, heavier gun will have less felt recoil. (So plus 1 for 1187 or M4 these are heavy beasts)

2. Action type gas guns shoot softer in my experience than inertia guns, these systems absorb recoil.

3. Stock design, is it hard wood/rubber or a recoil absorbing design.

4. Gauge, smaller gauges have a smaller maximum load thus less recoil for the same FPS.

5. Barrel porting/compensation just like your hunting rifle this can reduce recoil.

6. Cost, shotguns are some of the oldest firearms and are incredibly versatile. A $50 single shot break action can last generations and put food on the table or a 30k Holland and Holland maybe a family heirloom but may not do anything better. There are hundreds of new and used option for any budget. Remember if you shoot someone the firearm will likely be booked as evidence.

Everyone loves 12ga but that means a heavier gun off the bat, more steel in the barrel, typically more recoil because it larger loads, but reduced low recoil loads are a available. If you have a shoulder issue just lifting an unloaded 12 may be hard. 20 ga is lighter usually a smaller frame and ammunition costs are equal to 12ga. Other gauges like 16, 28, and 410 have significantly higher price points for ammunition.

Good luck in your search!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Option #A - Gas operated semiauto 20ga

Option#B - AR or 9mm PCC

".410 Pistols " are a bad joke , if you have ever attempted to pattern one . In a binary comparison , a real .410 Shotgun is far better . Are 3-5 buckshot pellets @ under 10yds better than harsh looks and stern words ? Yes . But even at that , I would recommend a PCC instead .

Cabel

Mar 18, 2014
    Ellicott City, MD
    Your gun may be able to cycle 1-3/4" mini-shells without issue, which have much less recoil. On my Mossberg pump I needed to 3D print a small spacer that clips to the rail to take up a bit of space for proper cycling. I can also fit more shells in the magazine.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    How can someone make a plan requiring a certain type of firearm at each step?

2 rounds from the shotgun, run to the corner for a pistol, then ultimately get the AR and make the stopping shot with that?

If part of your "plan" is to fight to go to another gun, then you are losing sight of the fight you are indeed in right at that crucial moment.

Your plan might consist of having that "special gun" in your final position of dominance. The gun that is part of your plan, typically would be the one you started the fight with.

This. That said, I’ve got a G17 with a light in a bedside lockbox. If I can get to my basement safe, I am getting my AR. But I don’t have a way to safely store my AR in my bedroom.

If I don’t think I could get to my basement safe. Then I won’t bother trying.

At some point I am putting a long gun wall safe in to my bedroom closet. But that’s not what I have today. I have several HD guns. But the plan is more if I needed to “hand some out”. My wife can handle loading and shooting my 870 with light loads most likely. So a couple boxes of 00 low recoil are by the front of the safe. My sons can shoot my 10/22 very well so there are a couple BX-25s with minimags in the safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom