• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    No Joke, Dubble Bubble is supposedly the most effective. They die of intestinal obstruction. This is not pleasant (if it matters to you).
    bb953d108e6aa87baef8e1904c7bf61702.jpg

I bet if the groundhog could chose, he would pick the 300 win mag :lol2:

CalvinMD

Jan 14, 2020
    I use my Marlin 1894 44mag. Then I use light loaded 44 Spec. With 185gr hollow points it instant Nitey night. Big bullet makes big hole and it’s quiet to boot. You really need to get them and do something with them because if they crawl back to the hole to die and if they do , they will stink to high heaven

Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I have a buddy with a horse farm. We used to go over to shoot ground hogs for him. Horses breaking legs is very expensive. Now he said he just throws a pack of bubblegum in the hole. Supposedly something about it just clogged them up and kills them. All I know is we haven’t had to shoot any ground hogs in some time.

I used to play sniper with a buddy who was dialed into the farming community where I grew up in SW PA. Farmers with groundhog problems would call him and he would hook up with me and my bull barrel Remington 700 chambered in 22-250. Mr Groundhog jumps like a Laker when you reach out and touch him.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Good air rifle ought to do it. Otherwise a Doc T has it, canned 22.

I’m not into killing stuff on my property unless it becomes necessary. Ground hogs are welcome until/unless they determine to range in the dogs space. We have an invisible fence. That defines the dogs range. Any hog that goes into that space a second time has signed their death warrant.

As for eating everything you kill, well...I’m not that hungry yet. They decided to co-occupy same space as my dogs. I know how the dog v hog thing works out. Have spectated at the show before. Dog gets face tore up...sometimes pretty bad and very expensive. Hog ends up dead. Every. Time. Better to send brother hog to hog heaven.

Learned the hard way that a canned 22 and “silent” ammo will not get the job done. Just annoys MR Hog. Use full tilt 22 LR. Wounding brother hog is not humane imo.

Corpus delicious ends up in the woods. Critters gotta eat too. They don’t last long enough to decompose. Bears, bobcats and coyotes are happy to help out in this regard. I’m not sure if they bake brother hog or use him for stew meat but he ain’t a layin there long. That’s recycling.

As for the circle of life... Wife’s timely reminder has saved a couple blue herons. Those bastards have killed several of my koi. Couple of big ones too. One day, she’s gonna be preoccupied and the tall skinny feathered fisherman is gonna bite the proverbial bullet.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Update, she has since disappeared. She was there a few weeks then gone. I suspect it was a female with babies and was just under there until they were capable of leaving but i don't really know. I don't see any evidence if tunneling so it's possible they were just temporarily using the cover of the shed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    If your wife thought the neighbor was cute what would you do? I hate groundhogs. We have them all around me and I get rid of them when I can. They destroy our farm fields. 2 weeks ago I was chasing one and he disappeared. Bastard scurried up a tree. Didn't know it until he jumped out and ran away. I was too shocked to shoulder the gun again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom