• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bensmiata

The Newbie
    Dec 23, 2009
    MD
    Been a while since I have sold/bought a gun and want to make sure I do this correctly. My brother lives in Virginia (I am in MD), and I would like to transfer him a unregulated rifle (aka not an AR/AK etc). Do we need to go through an FFL? It would seem pretty straightforward if we do, and just a quick call to NICS/transfer fee. Not sure if required however? Just want to double check.

fpmst930

Oct 21, 2019
    Rockville MD
    Been a while since I have sold/bought a gun and want to make sure I do this correctly. My brother lives in Virginia (I am in MD), and I would like to transfer him a unregulated rifle (aka not an AR/AK etc). Do we need to go through an FFL? It would seem pretty straightforward if we do, and just a quick call to NICS/transfer fee. Not sure if required however? Just want to double check.

if your brother has an FFL03/C&R (Curio n relic) for guns older then 50 years, he could just take it from you.

Busa

Jul 22, 2012
    So. MD
    Yes you must transfer through a FFL in the receivers state. You do not need to involve a Maryland FFL if the Virginia dealer will accept shipment of the firearm directly from you. Contact the dealer in Virginia. He sends you a signed copy of his FFL. You ship the firearm via common carrier, UPS / FedEx and include a copy of your drivers license with the shipment.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Yes you must transfer through a FFL in the receivers state. You do not need to involve a Maryland FFL if the Virginia dealer will accept shipment of the firearm directly from you. Contact the dealer in Virginia. He sends you a signed copy of his FFL. You ship the firearm via common carrier, UPS / FedEx and include a copy of your drivers license with the shipment.

No, it does not need to be the receiver's state. They could do the transfer at a MD FFL if the brother comes to visit here.

As biggfoot44 pointed out, it can be done by an FFL in either state.

Busa

Jul 22, 2012
    So. MD
    Ah yes, I forgot this was a long gun transfer. Doing the transfer in Maryland would save on shipping cost!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom