• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Am thinking of getting myself a nice pocket knife. I have read the laws but wanted to double check on this forum.

It says it's legal as long It not concealed. For example, I can carry on my front pocket as long i'm using the clip.

------------------
    https://knifeup.com/maryland-knife-laws/
    LIMITS ON CARRY
    You can not conceal carry a throwing star, dirk, switchblade, gravity knife, or bowie knife.
    You can not open carry a throwing star, dirk, switchblade, gravity knife, or bowie knife with the intent to harm someone.
    You can open or conceal carry any sized pocket knife you wish.

----------------
    this is what i am thinking of: Kershaw Launch 3 Automatic Knife.

If it's considered a switchblade. I will just get one of those folding knives that I have been eyeing on.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    Define automatic knife?

Automatic knives are quick-opening knives that contain a blade that can be released from the knife's body via an external mechanism. Whether it's a button or a slide that serves as the opening mechanism.

Something else Marylander's can't lawfully carry.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Theoretically , you could carry. It in the same manner as your Saber . I.e. openly exposed in a sheath .

CurlyDave

May 29, 2015
    Oregon
    Several times a year, I bend over and something in my pocket presses the alarm button on my key fob causing my car to start honking the horn.

Can anyone explain why I would want to put something in my pocket that when the same thing happens causes a razor sharp blade to spring out right next to my junk?

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Several times a year, I bend over and something in my pocket presses the alarm button on my key fob causing my car to start honking the horn.

Can anyone explain why I would want to put something in my pocket that when the same thing happens causes a razor sharp blade to spring out right next to my junk?

Many of the side opening auto knives have safeties and recessed buttons to prevent an AD in your pocket. An OTF is next to impossible to open in your pocket.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I just prefer easy one handed operation, so most of my folders are assisted opening, legal in almost all of MD. My only experience with auto knife is a boker kalishnikov which I carry when working in my yard at home, and I like it very very much.

there is an auto version of a classic buck 110 that I wold love to own one day

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    Cite?

AFAIK, switchblades are legal to possess, and to open carry.

LIMITS ON CARRY
    You can not conceal carry a throwing star, dirk, switchblade, gravity knife, or bowie knife.
    You can not open carry a throwing star, dirk, switchblade, gravity knife, or bowie knife with the intent to harm someone.

Law dont get much plainer to understand than that...

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    LIMITS ON CARRY

Law dont get much plainer to understand than that...
    Maybe not so plain to understand. Intent? Clear as mud, IMO.

Unless it was a naked man chasing a woman through an alley, with a butcher knife, and a hard-on. :D

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    It's not illegal to own or possess in Maryland. They're all over the out of state gun shows. I would go with something from Protech over any of the Kershaw models.

Cite?

AFAIK, switchblades are legal to possess, and to open carry.

Correct on legal to own. Definitely can't conceal it. It may or may not be legal for open carry; unless I worked somewhere that everyone had and used knives, I'd be very nervous to do it in this state without lawyer consultation.

I have a Benchmade AFO II and it's a fantastic knife. It just sits on my plate carrier though here because I don't trust the system. In FL, it only left my pocket to do work or usually when I washed my pants.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Correct on legal to own. Definitely can't conceal it. It may or may not be legal for open carry; unless I worked somewhere that everyone had and used knives, I'd be very nervous to do it in this state without lawyer consultation.

I have a Benchmade AFO II and it's a fantastic knife. It just sits on my plate carrier though here because I don't trust the system. In FL, it only left my pocket to do work or usually when I washed my pants.
    I mis-read Dave.B's post. He (and you) is correct, legal to own.

I agree it is probably not a good idea to open carry a switchblade in Maryland, but not 100% illegal to do so.

Not everyone can establish intent like Dirty Harry (supra). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom