• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I know some of you spend time in the Valley.

https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/2020/05/20/stunning-upsets-local-va-elections/

With little fanfare and almost no national attention, Virginians headed to the polls in local elections on Tuesday, and there was a stunning upset in one city that’s been dominated by Democrats in recent elections. Control of the Staunton City Council flipped from blue to red after a surge in turnout among Republican voters, and at least one local pundit believes that Gov. Ralph Northam’s anti-gun efforts are to blame for the massive increase in voter turnout that propelled conservatives to victory.

As the Augusta Free Press‘s Chris Graham notes, Staunton voters backed Barack Obama twice as well as Hillary Clinton in 2016. Voters in the Shenandoah Valley city also backed Democrat governors Terry McAuliffe in 2013 and Ralph Northam in 2017, but this year gun owners and Second Amendment supporters were energized by the gun control bills approved by the Democrat-controlled legislature and signed by Northam just a few weeks ago.

Graham says not only did Republicans take control of the city council in Staunton, they also flipped the city council in nearby Waynesboro as well.

These local anti-gun city council members had to run for re-election without the help of Michael Bloomberg running millions of dollars in campaign ads to bolster their campaigns, and without the financial largesse of the gun control movement’s billionaire sugar daddy, their efforts weren’t enough to overcome the surge in turnout by Second Amendment supporters.

What does this tell us about how Virginia might vote this November? I’d say it’s good news for Republicans hoping to oust Rep. Abigail Spanberger in the 7th Congressional District, and could signal problems for the Rep. Elaine Luria in the state’s 2nd Congressional District as well. Both Democrats were elected in the 2018 blue wave election, but represent districts that have traditionally voted more conservatively. If gun owners turn out in November like they did in this week’s local elections around the state, they could have a decisive impact on a number of races in the state.

Tuesday’s election results also demonstrate that the anger and pushback to Ralph Northam’s gun control agenda hasn’t dissipated or disappeared, and once his gun control bills become law on July 1st, I suspect that they’ll become an even bigger drag on Democrat candidates in much of the state. State legislators aren’t up for re-election in Virginia until 2021, but they too are paying close attention to this week’s election results, and the incredible turnout on the part of pro-2A voters may lead a few of the rural representatives to continue to take a more cautious approach to Northam’s future plans, which includes re-introducing a sweeping gun, magazine, and suppressor ban in the next legislative session.

Gun owners should be proud of their grassroots efforts in the build up to this week’s local elections, and I hope that they’re even more energized and engaged as we head towards Election Day in November. We’ve demonstrated that it’s possible to oust anti-gun politicians and elect officials who will respect our Second Amendment rights, but we can’t let up now.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm watching the people I know in Staunton have fits over the results, and I'm just smiling.

The hyperbole is along the lines of "we'll Nazi marches in our streets", "they are going to change the name of the HS back to RE LEE".

These people are so unhinged it's scary.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    That is OUTSTANDING NEWS!!! Its time push the demoRATS into the bay or the ocean and make them pay for what they have done in wanting to take away the rights of the people they are supposed to work for instead of trying to control the people who put them their in the first place...

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    And nothing on the elections in the richmond media websites. Wonder why.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Fantastic results. Can’t believe Waynesboro would’ve ever been blue, glad to see they corrected that mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The population north of Main and Broad Streets are going to vote their self interests, meaning who can give me the biggest hand outs.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    The population north of Main and Broad Streets are going to vote their self interests, meaning who can give me the biggest hand outs.

Yeah that makes sense. Just so much farmland and good regular country folk I was surprised it was ever Dem. Then again my aunt that lives there is still a “Solid South” era Democrat and still believes they’re the “party of Chuck Robb” so maybe I shouldn’t be so surprised

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Yeah that makes sense. Just so much farmland and good regular country folk I was surprised it was ever Dem. Then again my aunt that lives there is still a “Solid South” era Democrat and still believes they’re the “party of Chuck Robb” so maybe I shouldn’t be so surprised

Waynesboro and Staunton are not Augusta County.....they are world's apart.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The leftists are already calling foul and claiming that lots of mail in ballots were not counted.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    So, was this the only election in Va? I can't find any info anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom